Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-28-2013, 08:51 AM

[QUOTE=JB_AOL;1868404]Yeah I should've said IMHOin the first paragraph..

YEs she is eligible according to the form.. AND She is not walking w/o aids if she can't walk more the 50m, you yourself said she leans heavily on the carts.

My mom uses the carts IN the store, not from the parking lot to the door, so she has no visible aid until she gets inside.

Umm. what.. tolerant.. Your joking right.. at no point was I was I being intolerant or inconsiderate. In fact, I'm one of those people going out of my way to help disabled people. I'm sorry if it came off that way, but that is far from the case.

Perhaps "tolerant" was too harsh a word to use. You implied, "in your humble opinion", folks who park in a handicapped stall, and exit the vehicle and walk to the store w/o aids should not be eligible for a placard.

I am trying to point out that just because the disability is not immediately visible does not mean that the person is not eligible.

I am glad that you go out of your way to help. We need more people to do that.
Old 02-28-2013, 09:06 AM

One time at WSS south Edmonton there was a bobcat parked in one of the handicapped stalls I went in and asked for the manager cause the blond at the till was useless, I asked if he was awhere that there is a bobcat parked in one of the handicapped stalls he said yes he was awhere and it was there all week he has been trying to get ahold of the company that owns it.
I called the cops and they seemed more interested in finding the owner than getting it towed or ticketed.....If I had a tow strap with me that cat would have been towed!!
Old 02-28-2013, 01:41 PM

There's a crackbook page titled ''I live in Grande Prairie, and you park like an *******'' People put up pictures with the plates of the D-bags for everyone to see..
Old 06-03-2013, 11:32 AM

Karma is a biotch and will eventually bite them in the ass.
How was the road trip by the way?
See any Orca?
Rob
Old 06-04-2013, 02:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATF View Post
Well just to give you something to think about I'll throw this out there.
I don't advocate parking in Handicapped spots and I never do either but it's kind of ironic that people with disabilities want to be treated equal except for parking spots.
And to those that say it's slippery in the winter... yes it is... but what about the rest of the year? If your able to walk that well that you don't appear to be disabled why should you get your own private parking spot?
Also the OP said he's taking his dad out shopping. Who has the handicapped placard? The OP that's driving who can use it whenever he wants including when he's not a chaufeur? I've seen that one a few times.
As for the "equal treatment" thing; it's a common courtesy. Kind of like how women are treated a little different, giving up a seat for an elderly person, and holding a door. Except it's a lot bigger deal if after 1000 steps you're in pain because you were born without hip sockets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeaspell View Post
If tried everything, but apparently if its an empty spot its free for the taking with her. It pizzes me off to no end. If tried to use the logic that what if it was you who needed the spot. Her answer was if you cab make it from 2 stalls away, you can make it from 4. Then I told her that the handicap stalls are bigger so there is room for letting out wheelchairs, she said I need more room because my truck is big and hard to park.

I got a hard to park truck because I choose to, most handicap people need a bigger spot because they need it, not because they choose to need it.

Now I feel like waking her up to give here a lecture lol
I would reevaluate things with your girl friend. If she is too unmotivated to walk across a parking lot to save the poor old wheel chair bound octogenarian with arthritis in his/her wrists the fun slog through 8" of snow...

Well that will catch up with you, or her. Someday you might wanna have some kids, and have her raise them. You'll work 160 hours a week to keep "Princess" in furs and diamonds, and come home to dodging smores left on the stairs, dirty faced kids, and when you visit the commode for a little thinking time, you'll wonder: "When the heck did we get a furry seat cover?". Make no mistake; you didn't.

And she's young now. If she can't (won't) walk the an extra 20 yards... Well soon she'll be a major contender in the North American Butt Growing Contest.
Nobody wins. She will have a physique that might kindly be called "husky", or "extra full figured". In a "women seeking" add, she would be described as "bubbly".

Find yourself one with altruistic tendencies. Someday if you don't get around too well, she'll take care of you.

Survivor of the dread covid
Pureblood!
Old 06-04-2013, 04:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tactical Lever View Post
And she's young now. If she can't (won't) walk the an extra 20 yards... Well soon she'll be a major contender in the North American Butt Growing Contest.
Nobody wins.

Find yourself one with altruistic tendencies. Someday if you don't get around too well, she'll take care of you.
Wish I had heard that advise years ago,
But this is the damn truth!!!

Who knew that Boyfriend and Babysitter were actually 2 separate words!
Old 06-04-2013, 04:38 AM

Default Rules Regarding Proper Use of a Placard\Plate

Rules Regarding Proper Use of a Placard\Plate
Only YOU are entitled to use your placard. DO NOT allow anyone else to use your placard.
You do not need to own the vehicle or be the driver to use your placard.
When the application has been approved by a certified medical professional, it must be presented to a registry agent within 6 months or a new application will have to be completed.
When the vehicle has been parked in a designated stall, your placard MUST be hung from the vehicle’s rear-view mirror with the registration number and expiry date visible from outside the vehicle.
You must leave the vehicle when parked in a designated stall. If you remain in the vehicle and another passenger is the only one to exit the vehicle, you MAY NOT use the disabled parking stall. Doing so is an abuse of your placard privileges.
If you have a chronic disability, please use your judgement when parking. If you do not need the designated parking stall on a “good” day, please leave it for someone with a greater need.
Some people need an extra-wide parking space to get in and out of their vehicles, while others need a space close to an entrance. If you do not need an extra-wide space, please do not occupy one.
When visiting another jurisdiction or country, please check the visitor placard rules to determine if you may use your home placard there.
Any demonstrated abuse or misuse of a placard may result in the placard being cancelled. This includes altering, defacing, duplicating or tampering with the placard, or allowing someone other than you to use the placard.
Service Alberta may notify enforcement authorities should your placard be cancelled.
Municipal bylaws govern designated parking stalls on both public and private property.
The placard does NOT exempt the user from obeying other parking laws or from paying appropriate parking fees.
If your placard is lost, stolen or damaged, you must report it to a registry agent office.
If your placard is no longer needed, return it to a registry agent office.
If your placard has expired, it must be destroyed.
The placard is null and void upon the holder’s death. A relative, friend, or caregiver must return the placard to a registry agent office and are prohibited from using it.
Persons issued a disabled licence plate are subject to the yearly registration fee.
If parking privileges/placards are abused, your parking placard may be cancelled and your parking privileges revoked. There is a ZERO tolerance on parking placard abuse.
Old 06-04-2013, 04:58 AM

when i first got a licence my fist responsibility was taking my brandmother to bingo on saturday nights.she had a handi card but we would always take empty spaces fer away because she said there is always someone worse off. Some people suck and break rules but instead of putting energy into whining lets just set good examples. It will be a better use of energy
Old 06-04-2013, 07:04 AM

You will be surprised how many drivers can drop a handicap person off and pick them up at the door that goes and parks in handicap parking taking up a spot of someone traveling alone