Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-27-2013, 10:39 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000yards View Post
****es me off to NO END.
Anytime I see it, I take photos with my phone to show no placard, or license decal, the license plate, and I submit them with a picture. The rcmp will get like two of these a month from me, I just swing by and drop it off. With the pictures, and written letter/signed statement they can mail out a ticket, so at the very least the $$hole has to go to court to fight it. Might make them think twice next time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary Dave View Post
Use this app. Can take a pic with your cel phone and then send it in. It works in conjunction with local parking enforcement.

http://www.parkingmobility.com Works on iPhone, Android and BB

The Parking Mobility application empowers private citizens to report a violation with 3 quick and simple photos. The report is immediately sent to the city, and the city tickets the vehicle using the violation report. When the city collects the fine, Parking Mobility puts up to 20% of the fine into the nonprofits in your community to provide education and awareness to further solve the problem!

Kudos to these ^ two suggestions

Lots of belly-aching going on here in this thread. Justified of course, but still just belly-aching ... which accomplishes nothing.

I prefer the; "Do something about it!" approach.

TF
Old 02-27-2013, 11:20 AM

Ah yes. The monthly "I hate bad people who park in handicapped stalls" thread. I wondered when it was going to reappear. With the shortened month and all I was worried...
Old 02-27-2013, 11:25 AM

Its Edmonton , I thought all its citizens qualified automatically....lol
Old 02-27-2013, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott N View Post
How can you tell if someone is non-handicapped if they have the tag? Some people appear to be able bodied, when in reality they are not.
Cause I see them get out of the car and run (literally) into the store, And I know people who abuse it.

If you are physically able to walk w/o aid (walker/wheelchair/scooter/etc.) then you should NOT have a handicap tag.

http://www.servicealberta.gov.ab.ca/...rdsREG3164.pdf

Take a look at section 2, eligiblity...
Old 02-27-2013, 12:30 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriggerFinger View Post
Kudos to these ^ two suggestions

Lots of belly-aching going on here in this thread. Justified of course, but still just belly-aching ... which accomplishes nothing.

I prefer the; "Do something about it!" approach.

TF

Well there's your answer Leaspell. Report her. Or tell her that she could use the walk to the door and then you both will have some exercise when she chases your sorry butt around the lot.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 02-27-2013, 12:59 PM

Default Leave a note

I know this may be hard to believe ,but I always leave
Those ********s a note.....I have them pre printed .

Just some advise on etiquette , sensibility ,etc.

Some of my suggestions might be anatomically impossible
I suggest that if they are not happy with my suggestions
They can call this number .....Calgary Police Traffic
Division ...I wonder if anyone calls.

This is way nicer than what use to happen ,when
I drank during the day.....Ah. Softer with age.
Old 02-27-2013, 01:13 PM

Default Note

Maybe leave them this
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Thanks.jpg (12.3 KB, 86 views)
Old 02-27-2013, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottymouth View Post
Its Edmonton , I thought all its citizens qualified automatically....lol
Oh c'mon now, we have a really nice river valley in the summer!

Old 02-27-2013, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB_AOL View Post
Cause I see them get out of the car and run (literally) into the store, And I know people who abuse it.

If you are physically able to walk w/o aid (walker/wheelchair/scooter/etc.) then you should NOT have a handicap tag.

I used to work at Motor Vehicles before they were all privatized, and with a doctor's note, a person can get a handicap placard for various medical conditions, that are not obvious. If a doctor feels it's necessary, a person can obtain the placard legally despite what they may look like. It's a doctor's call, not the government's.
Old 02-27-2013, 02:15 PM

Yep.. Which ISN'T right according to the law. (hint.. it's on that link).

And yes I know it happens.. I also know doctors that will write a note for ANYTHING as long as they are paid for it..

The funny part is, I know LOTS of people with (legitimate) disabilities (amputee's, parapalic's, etc., and the majority of them will only park in the handi-cap spots if a regular spot is not avail.
Old 02-27-2013, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic_Cool View Post
The walk would do people good. Personally I always park away from the crowd if I have a choice. I trust other drivers about as far as I can throw their car
I do same exact thing, i have nighmares about people a their careless tossings of being done with their shopping carts etc.
Old 02-27-2013, 03:13 PM

Quote:
How can you tell if someone is non-handicapped if they have the tag? Some people appear to be able bodied, when in reality they are not.
Agree entirely when I am out of my vehicle you would not know I am missing my legs when I wear pants. I walk with prosthesis and have a minor hitch in my step. I get all sorts of dirty looks from people who note my tag and think I'm cheating the system. That changes drastically in the summer when I on occasion wear shorts. Then again I shouldn't have to wear shorts and advertise the fact.

Here's the solution, if you think/know someone is abusing the placard call bylaw. they can be taken away for abuse and the fine is much greater for someone abusing a placard then it is for someone without one parking in the stall.
Old 02-27-2013, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Yep.. Which ISN'T right according to the law. (hint.. it's on that link).

And yes I know it happens.. I also know doctors that will write a note for ANYTHING as long as they are paid for it..

The funny part is, I know LOTS of people with (legitimate) disabilities (amputee's, parapalic's, etc., and the majority of them will only park in the handi-cap spots if a regular spot is not avail.
Personally I wont do it unless there isn't a spot available to me or unless its winter time because walking on ice is somewhat more dangerous for me. Summer and an available spot I park in it and enjoy the walk. If you've been in a wheelchair for any long period of time you enjoy each step.
Old 02-27-2013, 03:56 PM

Quote:

You should go back and re-read that. It doesn't say w/o aid, it says unable to walk more than 50 meters. The form also asks what aids you use IF APPLICABLE.

My mom has had 2 knee replacements and she can walk w/o any aids, but she also has COPD, and she cannot walk more than 50 meters WITHOUT sitting and catching her breath back. When she gets inside the store, she grabs a shopping cart and leans heavily on it the whole time she is there. Are you saying she is not eligible?

Disabilities come in a lot of different forms and you need to be a bit more tolerant.
Old 02-27-2013, 04:20 PM

Question Disabilities are Hard to See

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Love-Eyes View Post
You should go back and re-read that. It doesn't say w/o aid, it says unable to walk more than 50 meters. The form also asks what aids you use IF APPLICABLE.

My mom has had 2 knee replacements and she can walk w/o any aids, but she also has COPD, and she cannot walk more than 50 meters WITHOUT sitting and catching her breath back. When she gets inside the store, she grabs a shopping cart and leans heavily on it the whole time she is there. Are you saying she is not eligible?

Disabilities come in a lot of different forms and you need to be a bit more tolerant.
X2 Sometimes disabilities are hard to see. The doctor who signs the form makes the call on what they think there patient's can do.
Some of above comments are....................
Bylaw in Edmonton is now writing tickets for $175.00 peso's for parking in a handicap stall.
Old 02-27-2013, 05:23 PM

Well just to give you something to think about I'll throw this out there.
I don't advocate parking in Handicapped spots and I never do either but it's kind of ironic that people with disabilities want to be treated equal except for parking spots.
And to those that say it's slippery in the winter... yes it is... but what about the rest of the year? If your able to walk that well that you don't appear to be disabled why should you get your own private parking spot?
Also the OP said he's taking his dad out shopping. Who has the handicapped placard? The OP that's driving who can use it whenever he wants including when he's not a chaufeur? I've seen that one a few times.
Old 02-27-2013, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATF View Post
Well just to give you something to think about I'll throw this out there.
I don't advocate parking in Handicapped spots and I never do either but it's kind of ironic that people with disabilities want to be treated equal except for parking spots.
And to those that say it's slippery in the winter... yes it is... but what about the rest of the year? If your able to walk that well that you don't appear to be disabled why should you get your own private parking spot?
Also the OP said he's taking his dad out shopping. Who has the handicapped placard? The OP that's driving who can use it whenever he wants including when he's not a chaufeur? I've seen that one a few times.
If you are caught using a placard which is not designated to you, and your not transporting the person that said placard is for you and can will have it cancelled.

Just because a person doesn't look disabled in your eyes doesnt mean that they don't have serious medical condition which limits their abilities.
Old 02-27-2013, 05:58 PM

I have over 100' of 3/8 logging chain for sale. The longest length is about 70' Will cut to suit!
Just sayin

Either get busy living, or get busy dying!
Old 02-27-2013, 05:59 PM

I have a special needs daughter. We handed our placard back as we felt there were others who could use the space more than us.

So I am like some of the others that it pizzes me off a bit more than most because of the above comment.

Dodger
Old 02-27-2013, 06:03 PM

Default Placard Use

The placard can be used in any vehicle as long as the registration is with the person. The placard is not registered to the vehicle only to the person with disabilities. This placard will also can be used in airport to get any extra assistance they may require.
Old 02-27-2013, 06:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushnell View Post
Personal pet peeve of mine,all those lazy a**es that take up handicap parking spaces.Had it happen again tonight took the old man out,and to do some shopping for him. Well get to to local mall and there are 9 dedicated parking stalls by the Safeway,can't park in any of them because of lazy morons have taken 7 of them,and you can't use the last 2 because are coveredby 1 car.Really those stalls are there for a reason,if you don't have a handicap tag don't park there. Sorry rant over.
What sucks even more is that police generally won't do anything unless the store complains.
Old 02-27-2013, 08:49 PM

ATF to answer yor question,yes the placard is in my truck, I do not use unless my father is with me.My dad lives with my family. Pesky I know what you mean, a little while ago stopped a city cop at the mall and pointed out the cars without tags.His attitude was it was too much like work.
Old 02-27-2013, 09:05 PM

my peeve is also the people that go to the gym at the end of my street. they park so illegally it isnt funny. park on the lawns, park to close to the corner, in my alley etc. they go to the gym to workout, but have to park as close as they can so they dont have to walk as far.

i think ill print some pieces of paper off to let them know. see if anything changes around here.
Old 02-27-2013, 09:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabeticKripple View Post
my peeve is also the people that go to the gym at the end of my street. they park so illegally it isnt funny. park on the lawns, park to close to the corner, in my alley etc. they go to the gym to workout, but have to park as close as they can so they dont have to walk as far.

i think ill print some pieces of paper off to let them know. see if anything changes around here.
I happened to work close to A gym last year and noticed the same thing.
Old 02-27-2013, 09:35 PM

Your pictures should be on the place card
Old 02-27-2013, 10:18 PM

Quote:
I used to work at Motor Vehicles before they were all privatized, and with a doctor's note, a person can get a handicap placard for various medical conditions, that are not obvious. If a doctor feels it's necessary, a person can obtain the placard legally despite what they may look like. It's a doctor's call, not the government's.
When I had my triple bypass 3 years ago, I sure didn't look handicapped however I had the stamina of a new born baby. The doctors wanted me to get out and about and as sad as it seems but WalMart was the place to go. They had benches in many isles that allowed me to take the many breaks I needed and it was a warm environment that I desperately needed. If I didn't have my handicap tag at the time I would have taken a lot longer to heal because of no excercise (my by pass was done during a really cold spell). No one ever said anything or gave me looks but I found it interesting that so many non-handicaps with no tags parked in the stalls and would just walk past you with their heads down and avoid eye contact. I became and am much more aware of the problem now.
Old 02-27-2013, 10:29 PM

This happened when I was around 18 years old I was on my way home from work waiting for the bus. One of the main bus depots was part of a mall.

So I am standing there waiting, a cop drives along and parks in one of the 4 handicapped spots. He gets out starts walking, I say excuse me sir ,, your parked in a handicap spot. He stops looks and say oh really am I.. I didnt see the sign,, said in the most lame pathetic voice ever.

He got back in moved the car 2 spots over into a non handicap spot.
Old 02-27-2013, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota369 View Post
I wholeheartedly agree with the op, and will add my own pet peeve when it comes to parking illegally...... all the azzhats that pull up in-front of Walmart/Superstore, the mall etc, and sit in front of the entrance doors in the no parking lane where people have to try and squeeze by just to drive in the parking lot idling while their friend/significant other etc just runs in and picks up a few things....... which at the min lasts at least 15 min if not more....... talk about selfish and not giving a rats butt about your fellow humans...... I have actually had discussions with people about how they are under the misconception that those signs do not apply to them for some strange reason...... pathetic.......
That is the reason I want a set of CN air horns for my truck. I have hit the horn to get them moving, they cause unsafe situations by forcing vehicles travelling the same way into the opposite lane. Once in a while you can shame the pinheads into moving, more often they give you the one finger salute.

CN horn- BRAAAAAAAAAAAAA and the windows all roll down into little dust piles at once, damn that'd be nice

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 02-28-2013, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Yeah I should've said IMHO in the first paragraph..

Quote:
YEs she is eligible according to the form.. AND She is not walking w/o aids if she can't walk more the 50m, you yourself said she leans heavily on the carts.

Quote:
Umm. what.. tolerant.. Your joking right.. at no point was I was I being intolerant or inconsiderate. In fact, I'm one of those people going out of my way to help disabled people. I'm sorry if it came off that way, but that is far from the case.
Old 02-28-2013, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary Dave View Post
Use this app. Can take a pic with your cel phone and then send it in. It works in conjunction with local parking enforcement.

http://www.parkingmobility.com Works on iPhone, Android and BB

That app is a really neat idea!