Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-26-2013, 09:40 PM

Default Handicap Parking

Personal pet peeve of mine,all those lazy a**es that take up handicap parking spaces.Had it happen again tonight took the old man out,and to do some shopping for him. Well get to to local mall and there are 9 dedicated parking stalls by the Safeway,can't park in any of them because of lazy morons have taken 7 of them,and you can't use the last 2 because are coveredby 1 car.Really those stalls are there for a reason,if you don't have a handicap tag don't park there. Sorry rant over.
Old 02-26-2013, 09:52 PM

I agree with you, bushnell; but we live in a culture that seems to have learned, by and large, that they should be able to do whatever they like, and to he77 with everyone else. Brace for it...the next generation wil be even worse for this kind of...erm...uhhh...crap.

"This Brittany is my most cherished possession — the darndest bird-finder I have ever seen, a tough and wiry little dog with a choke-bored nose and the ability to read birds’ minds." -Jack O'Connor
Old 02-26-2013, 09:55 PM

****es me off to NO END.
Anytime I see it, I take photos with my phone to show no placard, or license decal, the license plate, and I submit them with a picture. The rcmp will get like two of these a month from me, I just swing by and drop it off. With the pictures, and written letter/signed statement they can mail out a ticket, so at the very least the $$hole has to go to court to fight it. Might make them think twice next time.
Old 02-26-2013, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushnell View Post
Personal pet peeve of mine,all those lazy a**es that take up handicap parking spaces.Had it happen again tonight took the old man out,and to do some shopping for him. Well get to to local mall and there are 9 dedicated parking stalls by the Safeway,can't park in any of them because of lazy morons have taken 7 of them,and you can't use the last 2 because are coveredby 1 car.Really those stalls are there for a reason,if you don't have a handicap tag don't park there. Sorry rant over.
as a double below the knee amputee this is more then a pet peeve to me I need to be able to open my door wide to get out of my truck. What you need to do is take your phone it has a camera on it, Take a picture of the vehicle and their license plate both front and rear parked in the stall. Submit that picture to the Bylaw office via email. I actually have my local Bylaw officers cellphone number so I text her the images she makes sure they get the ticket in the mail. Photographic proof of stupidity is enough.
Old 02-26-2013, 10:00 PM

Use this app. Can take a pic with your cel phone and then send it in. It works in conjunction with local parking enforcement.

http://www.parkingmobility.com Works on iPhone, Android and BB

Quote:
The Parking Mobility application empowers private citizens to report a violation with 3 quick and simple photos. The report is immediately sent to the city, and the city tickets the vehicle using the violation report. When the city collects the fine, Parking Mobility puts up to 20% of the fine into the nonprofits in your community to provide education and awareness to further solve the problem!
Old 02-26-2013, 10:18 PM
Banned

Lol
Attached Images
File Type: jpg stupidity is not disablity.jpg (66.4 KB, 332 views)
Old 02-26-2013, 11:18 PM

This infuriates me. I stopped by Southgate mall yesterday around rush-hour for one of my rare visits... Saw a 10 foot tall Hummer parked in the handicap stall closest to the entrance, piloted by none other than barbie herself. And just to clarify: I've got nothing against Hummers, or their owners, for that matter. Just a funny stereotype...
Old 02-26-2013, 11:22 PM

Yup it is extremely ignorant for lazy able bodied people to park in handicapped spots....saw one lady go ballistic on a guy and gal who parked in a "parents with small children spot" and they are more able bodied than someone in a wheelchair...

LC
Old 02-26-2013, 11:32 PM

Why do handicap people and pregnant women get all the good spots when i got to park at the end of the parking lot and sludge through the deep snow.

Just being sarcastic here. I have parked in handicap spots before, in the winter when stuff is covered in snow, but if i think I am and there is no sign, I get out and kick some snow. If its blue, I move. I may be lazy sometimes, but I got 2 fine feet and a heart beat, I can carry my Walmart bags a few extra stalls.

Sidenote, my girlfriend for some reason thinks its fine to occupy a handicap spot as long as she is being quick. Usually results in an argument if I'm in the car with here.
Old 02-26-2013, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeaspell View Post
Why do handicap people and pregnant women get all the good spots when i got to park at the end of the parking lot and sludge through the deep snow.

Just being sarcastic here. I have parked in handicap spots before, in the winter when stuff is covered in snow, but if i think I am and there is no sign, I get out and kick some snow. If its blue, I move. I may be lazy sometimes, but I got 2 fine feet and a heart beat, I can carry my Walmart bags a few extra stalls.

Sidenote, my girlfriend for some reason thinks its fine to occupy a handicap spot as long as she is being quick. Usually results in an argument if I'm in the car with here.
Quick experiment for you to do with your girlfriend. Put her in a wheelchair voluntarily for a day. Tell her she can't use her feet at all to help her, she cannot use them to get in and out of a vehicle. now tell her to try to unload herself with those restrictions in a regular stall. It will greatly change her outlook on that.
Old 02-26-2013, 11:52 PM

If tried everything, but apparently if its an empty spot its free for the taking with her. It pizzes me off to no end. If tried to use the logic that what if it was you who needed the spot. Her answer was if you cab make it from 2 stalls away, you can make it from 4. Then I told her that the handicap stalls are bigger so there is room for letting out wheelchairs, she said I need more room because my truck is big and hard to park.

I got a hard to park truck because I choose to, most handicap people need a bigger spot because they need it, not because they choose to need it.

Now I feel like waking her up to give here a lecture lol
Old 02-26-2013, 11:57 PM

Quote:
If tried everything, but apparently if its an empty spot its free for the taking with her. It pizzes me off to no end. If tried to use the logic that what if it was you who needed the spot. Her answer was if you cab make it from 2 stalls away, you can make it from 4. Then I told her that the handicap stalls are bigger so there is room for letting out wheelchairs, she said I need more room because my truck is big and hard to park.

I got a hard to park truck because I choose to, most handicap people need a bigger spot because they need it, not because they choose to need it.

Now I feel like waking her up to give here a lecture lol
Well I so happen to have an old spare wheelchair that has an extra wide camber flare on it for stability reasons. Want to borrow it and challenge her to spend 2 days in it? My boss at work took me up on it he said he could do a week, at the end of day 1 he had developed a systematic hatred for people who park like *******s.
Old 02-27-2013, 07:45 AM

Devil's Advocate again. I agree, handicapped people need all the breaks they can get and are entitled to them, BUT Do they really need all the stalls that some places allocate them? Go to some malls and you'd swear 20 % of the people are disabled. Then you throw in those pregnant woman and mother with child stalls What is enough ? The stalls at my local HH store are located far from the main entrance, in the contractor's access area, but my favorite is the PC liquor store, way down the end of the building about as far from the door as you can get. I have yet to see a stickered vehicle in either.

Grizz

Last edited by Grizzly Adams; 02-27-2013 at 08:00 AM.
Old 02-27-2013, 08:00 AM

I hate this I have three close relatives that are disabled ignorant lazy people!! leeaspell you sure can pick them, that girl sounds like a high maintenence lazy POS and needs to get the kick to the curb.

All that said I do think that the handicap stalls need to be better marked I know our safeway never use to have signs just a painted logos on the ashphalt that are wearing off and when there is a dusting of snow its hard to see so people use to park in those stalls all the time.
Old 02-27-2013, 08:11 AM

The walk would do people good. Personally I always park away from the crowd if I have a choice. I trust other drivers about as far as I can throw their car
Old 02-27-2013, 08:15 AM

Exclamation Handicap Parking

Quote:

I am truly disappointed from these comments. Sarcasm is in poor taste.
There are a small group of people who modify and tamper with there expired tags. Service Alberta wants to here from people who have run across this.
They still can be charged for using a expired tag. The City of Edmonton bylaw is the department for offenses. Call ECP and they will dispatch them.
A little curiosity for those with disabilities should not be hard to do.
Old 02-27-2013, 08:26 AM

I totally agree with all of the above comments, there is no justification for using a handi capped stall if you aren't. On the other side of the coin, I went to Sobey's in Sherwood Park the other day, a vehicle with the sticker pulled into one of the stalls, out of the passenger door a man exits and walks to the store, absolutely no sign of any handi cap. The guy could walk better than me with my two blown knees. An ex friend of mine had a wife who had the sticker and he would use her vehicle so he could use the stalls, the only handi cap he had was his attitude in this regard.
Old 02-27-2013, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan 08 View Post
I totally agree with all of the above comments, there is no justification for using a handi capped stall if you aren't. On the other side of the coin, I went to Sobey's in Sherwood Park the other day, a vehicle with the sticker pulled into one of the stalls, out of the passenger door a man exits and walks to the store, absolutely no sign of any handi cap. The guy could walk better than me with my two blown knees. An ex friend of mine had a wife who had the sticker and he would use her vehicle so he could use the stalls, the only handi cap he had was his attitude in this regard.
But at the same time, just because they arent missing any limbs, you dont really know what their dissability is.
Old 02-27-2013, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan 08 View Post
Yup....a friend of mines Mom used to use her Mothers handicap sticker to go to Bingo on Friday nights....she was not handicapped but got the primo spot for her evening out.

....some people will abuse anything if given the chance...

LC
Old 02-27-2013, 08:43 AM

Default Daughter Uses when Needed

My daughter lost her leg to cancer when she was 10 and has a sticker issued to her. SHe walks very well but uses the spots when parking lots are slippery as she has no feel in the one leg and is prone to slipping. On many occasions she has been challenged by folks about parking there and just lifts her pant leg to reveal the titanium and plastic. The parking sticker is issued to the individual just like registration and you can be ticketed if that person is not in the vehicle and you are parked there. It comes down to courtesy and courtesy seems to be a dwindling commodity.
Old 02-27-2013, 08:56 AM
Banned

I mistakenly parked in a handicap spot recently only because of the poor snow removal. I assume the sign was bent or missing and the blue was barely visible, Only reason I knew was when I came back there was no vehicle next to me and I seen the blue and figured my spot was aswell.

I don't get the parents with children or expectant mothers spots though. Before you guys jump all over me let me say I have a wife and small child, But since when did pregnancy become a disability ?. If you are that bad maybe you shouldn't be walking around wal mart to begin with.
Old 02-27-2013, 09:13 AM

Angry Another one

I wholeheartedly agree with the op, and will add my own pet peeve when it comes to parking illegally...... all the azzhats that pull up in-front of Walmart/Superstore, the mall etc, and sit in front of the entrance doors in the no parking lane where people have to try and squeeze by just to drive in the parking lot idling while their friend/significant other etc just runs in and picks up a few things....... which at the min lasts at least 15 min if not more....... talk about selfish and not giving a rats butt about your fellow humans...... I have actually had discussions with people about how they are under the misconception that those signs do not apply to them for some strange reason...... pathetic.......
Old 02-27-2013, 09:14 AM

I absolutely hate how the handicap spots (and tags) are abused.

I see WAY too many non-handicap people using the tags and stealing the stalls, when an actual disabled person can't use it.

Quote:
I have a wife and small child, But since when did pregnancy become a disability ?. If you are that bad maybe you shouldn't be walking around wal mart to begin with.
umm what... Who says pregnancy is a disability.. Those stalls are a courtesy thing dependant on the property owner. No different than taxi parking.
Old 02-27-2013, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota369 View Post
I wholeheartedly agree with the op, and will add my own pet peeve when it comes to parking illegally...... all the azzhats that pull up in-front of Walmart/Superstore, the mall etc, and sit in front of the entrance doors in the no parking lane where people have to try and squeeze by just to drive in the parking lot idling while their friend/significant other etc just runs in and picks up a few things....... which at the min lasts at least 15 min if not more....... talk about selfish and not giving a rats butt about your fellow humans...... I have actually had discussions with people about how they are under the misconception that those signs do not apply to them for some strange reason...... pathetic.......
+1000.

This is my pet peeve and have had more than one "conversation" with some ignorant ppeople.
Old 02-27-2013, 09:43 AM

Unfortunately courtesy has to be legislated today and those who need to be legislated ignore it anyways.

I think that if these people were to get their tires slashed maybe they would get the point.

I have said things to people parking in the stalls, I used to like the walmart kids stall when I had 3 small boys to get in and out of carseats etc. and it was great. Now I park a long ways away and make the 4 boys walk further and myself as well we enjoy the exercise.

My pet peeve is the people who drive through the parking lots like it is an INDY 500 looking for the primo spot, and finally get one on their 4th lap.

I think we should be able to volunteer to be parking cop for a day and write tickets that would be paid to a local charity.
Old 02-27-2013, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB_AOL View Post

I see WAY too many non-handicap people using the tags and stealing the stalls, when an actual disabled person can't use it.
How can you tell if someone is non-handicapped if they have the tag? Some people appear to be able bodied, when in reality they are not.
Old 02-27-2013, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota369 View Post
Totally agree....Costco seems to be the worst for this, if you are loading up a bed or a book case fine....but to sit there waiting for 30-40 minutes is total crap.

LC
Old 02-27-2013, 09:55 AM

I had a buddy who swore that if you parked in handicapped spots and weren't, karma would come along and make you that way. He had it happen to a couple of friends I guess. He gave me s**t for it one day when I tried parking in a stall, and I've never tried it from that day on...
Old 02-27-2013, 09:56 AM

Quote:
she said I need more room because my truck is big and hard to park.
Advise your lady that there are usually plenty of available stalls at the far ends of parking lots, where two stalls can even often be utilized in parking larger vehicles without complicating the lives of those who require the handicap parking stalls.

Also, if she chooses where she parks wisely (at the end of a row, or where there is ample room to back straight out of the stall), that will make parking the truck a lot easier for her as well.

I'm terrible at parking my Superduty, but I've become very good at parking it thoughtfully: in ways where I'm unlikely to damage the vehicles around me, and where I'm unlikely to make life difficult for anyone else.

I have a red (temporary) handicap placard, and I refuse to use it. I don't even have it in my truck.

If it is just too cold for your princess to walk that far, suggest she invest in some fun and fashionable woolies for the long walk from the truck to the mall doors.

God promised men that good and obedient wives would be found in all corners of the world. Then he made the earth round . . . and laughed.
Old 02-27-2013, 10:02 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB_AOL View Post

umm what... Who says pregnancy is a disability.. Those stalls are a courtesy thing dependant on the property owner. No different than taxi parking.
True it's not enforceable just thought it was something to mention, I know when my wife was even in the last 2 months of pregnancy she didn't park there said she can walk fine (she waddled more than walked) and mentioned if she couldn't walk 50 feet to the building how is she supposed to go shopping ?.