Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 02-25-2013, 08:19 PM

Default My boys turn... Help Please

I need some advice from some of you that have traveled down this road....

My son is turning 10yrs old this season. He has been pulling back on one of those toy bows flailing arrows at my target for 2 years, teaching him basic safety along the way.

In my stupid head I'd like to buy a compound for him this spring and get him going a little more serious, plus he is bugging me for a "real" bow. Is this still too young for a compound? He's pretty skinny and isnt the strongest kid so i'm really not sure how much poundage will work for him, but I'll figure that out if someone can point me in the right direction. I guess any info or help would be great.

My thoughts are give another 2 years of practice before he's legal to harvest a deer if he wants. Plus I like when we practice together, father son stuff

Thank you for taking the time to read this...
Old 02-25-2013, 08:40 PM

Jeesh, just did a search on here, shoulda searched first, sorry. Plenty of info here already.
Old 02-25-2013, 08:50 PM

Nothing to be sorry about. My grandson is 3 and shoots a Diamond Nuclear Ice compound. It's a bow that will grow with him for a while.
Just in case u missed the videos of him, I'll repost them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlEIeSa8cJg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kONnqqFrwVk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3g1NgtuDBQY
Old 02-25-2013, 09:07 PM

My daughter is 8 shooting a bear apprentice.Nice bow that will grow with a child.Very adjustable.All the way from 20 to 60 lbs and draw length from 15 to 27 inches
Old 02-25-2013, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70chevy View Post
My daughter is 8 shooting a bear apprentice.Nice bow that will grow with a child.Very adjustable.All the way from 20 to 60 lbs and draw length from 15 to 27 inches
Excellent Bow

Also check into Parker Bows, The have a Go as You Grow program for kids.. I forget how it works,But it's a great deal for the ever growing kids that love to spend Their parents and Grandparents money on new bows as they outgrow them

The Mision Menace is a great bow that grows with the kids also..

Good Luck and I hope You both enjoy that new purchase.. I love shooting in the back yard with My Daughters.. Best time and money ever spent !!!
Old 02-26-2013, 12:32 AM

There are some very good kids Traditional bows available at much less cost than a compound. Have a look at some of the ones I reviewed. I don't sell them .
http://peteward.com/2003.TRADITIONAL.HTML
The Tombow, Sioux, Mingo, and Little stick all come in youth weights. I liked the Sioux so much I ordered one special 51# at 27" for hunting.
The dealers are listed in the reviews. Git-r-donearchery in calgary has some in stock. See the thread on here about the Blind bow is in. http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=167577
This little one sells For $225 and has a 30 year transferable warranty. Same for the Tombow. Mingo and Little stick are a bit more, but have the same warranty. These bows will draw to 27/28" so they will last a long time as he grows.

Pete
Old 02-26-2013, 06:27 AM

kids seem to get frustrated with traditional bows!the arrow not hitting where they want it to. i know my 8 year old son does
Look at the APA rattler, it starts at 20lbs and grows with them to 60lbs, 17-28 inches of draw length, speedy lil compound bow, might as well get him started and used to a propper bow right off the bat
Old 02-26-2013, 07:51 AM

The mission craze is a good bow. 15 to 70 lbs, 19 to 30 draw. Diamond also has a newer bow that has good adjustments. Make sure not to overbow him. Leads to form problems that aren't easy to correct. Go to a reputable archery shop and talk to the pro staff, they will point you in the right direction.
Old 02-26-2013, 08:14 AM

My boy is 11 and we went from shooting a Mathews Genisis to the Mission Craze last season . Great range of draw length and poundage to grow with him. Nice smooth bow
Old 02-26-2013, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70chevy View Post
My 12 year old son also shoots a Bear Apprentice, he has had it for over a year. Great kids bow, fits him well. The accessories that it comes with are not great, but that worked out ok for me because I gave him the sight and rest off of my bow and upgraded mine!

When we were shopping we looked at the Hoyt Ruckus, nice bow but pricey. The Mission Craze good bow, great adjustment range but the grip was too wide for his hand. Diamond Razor Edge great bow but at the time the lowest it would go for his draw length was 22lbs which he struggled with after a couple shots and I did not want him to be over-bowed possibly causing issues with his form and shoulder.

Diamond makes the Infinite Edge now and it goes from 5-70 lbs for draws from 13-30 inches!! If I was buying a compound bow for one of my kids this is where I would start looking!

Good luck with your search, I can not wait to get out in the gopher patch with my boys and our bows!
Old 02-26-2013, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allseasons View Post
Jeesh, just did a search on here, shoulda searched first, sorry. Plenty of info here already.
Will have a look around might have a older compound that your welcome to have.
Old 02-26-2013, 11:16 AM

Check out the PSE RALLY it has 30lbs of pull adjustment and draw adjusts 18"-31" you can do all the adjustments yourself all that is needed is an allen key, no press needed. It comes in 20-50lb,30-60lb,and 40-70lb models,retail ready to shoot with sights and rest for $379 and bow only is $299. Also i would check out archerytalk there are alot of used bows for sale on there and reasonably priced
Old 02-26-2013, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allseasons View Post
I need some advice from some of you that have traveled down this road....

My son is turning 10yrs old this season. He has been pulling back on one of those toy bows flailing arrows at my target for 2 years, teaching him basic safety along the way.

In my stupid head I'd like to buy a compound for him this spring and get him going a little more serious, plus he is bugging me for a "real" bow. Is this still too young for a compound? He's pretty skinny and isnt the strongest kid so i'm really not sure how much poundage will work for him, but I'll figure that out if someone can point me in the right direction. I guess any info or help would be great.

My thoughts are give another 2 years of practice before he's legal to harvest a deer if he wants. Plus I like when we practice together, father son stuff

Thank you for taking the time to read this...
My boy is 11 now and has been shooting a mission craze for 2 years. great bow and it will fit him til he gets bigger than I am. I would also recommend getting him into a youth club. Parkland bowbenders has a great youth program with awesome instructors. cause we all know how hard it is to get our kids to listen sometimes
Old 02-26-2013, 02:59 PM

Thank you for all the replies. I have my work cut out for me, will try wolverine first i suppose(closest to RMH). Though I'm pleased to see he isn't too young for a compound. Hopefully i have it figured by the time snow is gone.
Old 02-26-2013, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikeslayer22 View Post
Will have a look around might have a older compound that your welcome to have.
That would be sweet!!
Old 02-27-2013, 07:39 AM

Hit Red Deer Archery center. Pat has lots of experience setting up children. Just don't try there this weekend, we will all be at the mother.
Old 02-27-2013, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsquanch View Post
My boy is 11 now and has been shooting a mission craze for 2 years. great bow and it will fit him til he gets bigger than I am. I would also recommend getting him into a youth club. Parkland bowbenders has a great youth program with awesome instructors. cause we all know how hard it is to get our kids to listen sometimes

X3 on the Mission Craze ...we have shooters from half pint 8 year old youngsters to 6' 4" -250 lb adults shooting the Craze and everyone in Between..

The Craze is a nice short bow Axle to Axle 28" , great for the youngsters, treestands and blinds..

has a generous Draw Length 19" - 30" which is great for re-sale

and the big bonus is that it will go from Draw Weight 15 - 72 lbs maxed...
a bow that truely grows with the youngster..

great quaility at an awesome price..

JMHO
Neil
Old 03-11-2013, 10:26 AM

Default pse ralley

i was wrong on the ralley it adjusts for draws 18-31" and 18lbs-70lbs pull