Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

View Poll Results: Do You Have a Back-Up Bow ?
No I dont have one 71 52.59%
Yes I have One 35 25.93%
Yes I have two or more 27 20.00%
On my way right now to buy one! 2 1.48%
Voters: 135. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-07-2013, 01:36 PM

Default Do You Own A Back-Up Bow ?

:d...Was kinna shocked on another forum of the shooters that only owned one bow and had no back up...

So many things can happen during hunting season..like what If...at the peak of Elk rut....Bubba ran over your bow with da pick-up!!!...now there may be at least two weeks for parts in the shop....[two weeks if lucky]..

I would think most in that situation would run out and buy a new or used bow...then there's set up time ...while the wife is behind you cussing you....Blah Blah lol

I generally have my main favorite bow and at least one back up ..but always two...when a better bow comes out my old favorite becomes #2 The back up

Funny thing is even thou the back up is ready to party...I find I never use it..I might pick it up now and again and thank it..but dont shoot it much...But its there ready to go if I need it.

If you dont have a back up..Why?

Neil
Old 02-07-2013, 01:51 PM

Got my early season bow. My mountain bow and late season bow. There already to go, at the drop of a hat!
Old 02-07-2013, 01:52 PM

Nope, if my bow breaks mid season ill buy one and I can tune and set it up in a day no prob.
Old 02-07-2013, 02:03 PM

Not only do I need a backup bow but the right bow for the job. I have three traditional bows that I used on a regular basis up to a couple years ago. I had a backpack hunt coming up and though I needed a compound so I used it almost exclusively. One week before the hunt I had a draw length mod fail and I needed another bow fast. All my other bows are one piece and just not useful for backpacking. Needless to say I rushed out and got a take down recurve that never really fit me. This year, with another backpack hunt planned, I have a take down longbow and I will shoot both it and the compound just in case.
Old 02-07-2013, 02:16 PM

You know Bubba and the pickup scenio...that has actually happened near a half dozen times over the years with shooters bringing there bow into the shop...or worse the half dozen that put there bow on the tail gate or roof of car ..had lunch and drove away...

lol

True

Neil
Old 02-07-2013, 02:21 PM

A new unfired DXT, and a new Z7 Extreme....
Can't have to many... When I bought my DXT I liked it so much I bought another .......
Bow of choice for this year is a bow-tech insanity...
Old 02-07-2013, 02:25 PM

Giving my current bow to my father who's moving back from Nova Scotia. My new one is coming shortly I hope. So I may be in the market for a back up in the future.
Old 02-07-2013, 02:40 PM

Nope sure don't .can't afford 2 ...wish I could but cant so I wont
Old 02-07-2013, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.O.S.T.Arrow View Post
You know Bubba and the pickup scenio...that has actually happened near a half dozen times over the years with shooters bringing there bow into the shop...or worse the half dozen that put there bow on the tail gate or roof of car ..had lunch and drove away...

lol

True

Neil
Or the guy that uses a lighter to burn off that little annoying piece of serving? Little ball of flame, and the dacron going "TINK!!! TINK!!! TINK!!! BLAMMO!!!" as the string burns through?
Old 02-07-2013, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcutter View Post
Or the guy that uses a lighter to burn off that little annoying piece of serving? Little ball of flame, and the dacron going "TINK!!! TINK!!! TINK!!! BLAMMO!!!" as the string burns through?
...ha ha ha..yup ..I surprised on how many guys that happend too lol

One on this forum I know lol..[not me]

And another half dozen catastrophic dry fires by those who surprise me the most on this because I consider them veteran's or Pro's...

They intensely stare at their target....draw in concentration...sqeeze the triggger...BLAMMMMM... ...They didnt even nock an arrow

They were so in the zone on their form they actually forget to load an arrow or notice it missing..

lol
Neil

Neil
Old 02-07-2013, 03:33 PM

Yup, got about 30 longbows, just in case.
Old 02-07-2013, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mb-MBR View Post
You need more.
Old 02-07-2013, 04:01 PM

Default Backup bows

Just got a Hoyt Spyder 34 yesterday so now my Hoyt Maxxis 35 is the backup and my Maxis 31 is up for sale and the cycle will go on. Beautiful sunny day here in Comox on Van. Is. around 6 or 7 degrees and no snow. Went out to the R&G with my dog and shot a round with the new bow, really sweet. Same plan for the weekend, it dosn't always rain here. Cheers Roscoe
Old 02-07-2013, 05:16 PM

12 Compounds,1 Recurve and 1 Crossbow..I am good to go...Grizz
Old 02-07-2013, 06:12 PM

Still shooting my 96 pse f1 buy a pse and u dont need a back up bow have never even takein a wrench on a hunt BULLET PROFF !!! and kills
Old 02-07-2013, 06:39 PM

Don't think I could bear it if my bow let me down with out a back up in the middle of hunting season. Diamond Marquis is my back up.
Old 02-07-2013, 07:13 PM

I have two compounds and one recurve all set up and ready to go.

www.nicktrehearne.com
Old 02-07-2013, 10:10 PM

I have one hunting bow that I have set up as a target bow at the moment, and one full time target bow. I shoot them both, and try to shoot them as much the same as I can, once hunting season comes I will put the old 5 pin back on my hunting rig, my local pro shop carries parts for my bow so if something happened I'm close enough to get it fixed. But I also take extra precaution to make sure the bow don't get hurt good hard case and religious about the bow riding in it.

Hunting bow last year was a z7 extreme, and this year is a creed. Target bow is an apex 8.
Old 02-07-2013, 11:08 PM
Banned

I tried back up bow in past, never use, so talked myself into an introduction bow and something thekids can start with when old enough and alsoma back up bow. Grabbed a diamond infinite edge, 5-70lbs, 13-30" draw, 7" bh, over 300fps ibo, super light smooth drawing and easy on wallet...thought make great mountain rig too, it's lighter than the helim and carbons by long shot....I've ditched the crap accessories and put quality stuff on it likeni would any top end bow....I could size this and have pins dialed for me and be ready to inside an hour should something happen to my primary...be a good one to set up for late season...pretty versatile bow, figured I had more than enough reasons to have one
Old 02-08-2013, 06:11 PM

Wow ...this kind of shocks me... I guess I will have to add another poll on rifle hunters... I bet every Rifle Hunter has a backup rifle ....then again maybe not..if something ever happened to their rifle...and they don't do not have a backup they would just borrow one...... and shoot. this rifle without too much practice.....something in my opinion that shouldn't be done with a bow
or rifle.
According to this poll either...you do not have a back-up or you have wayyy too many back ups. .lol
Old 02-08-2013, 08:07 PM

If you mean me..I Buy alot of Bows,I Like having alot of bows.Why is that too many?I Can have as many bows as i want to have and enjoy them...I Was thinking of getting a Helim,then decided on another Evo 6..Nicer bow for me personally.... I Practice every day with my bows,And am continously tinkering with them,I Do my own work on them...Grizz
Old 02-09-2013, 10:23 AM

Why? 1. Because I shoot a Hoyt... and they have never let me down. and my carbon matrix you could drive over with your truck. LOL.. second I live in Calgary, I can go buy a new bow and set it up in a couple of hours. that's what VISA is for. One time i cut my string the day before my antelope draw, so i bought a new one set it up at the Calgary archery center that day, and killed my p&Y antelope the next day. IT was time for a new bow I guess. I alway sell the old bows, why keep the old one? there was a reason i bought the new one.. it was better. I buy a new bow every two or three years because of new technology. Working for me 25 years now. Now if i won the lotto, I might buy a couple more bows, LOL, maybe I am just cheap.
Old 02-11-2013, 09:17 AM

Nope guys..didnt mean anyone specific by my last post ...was just refering to the poll in general...lol

Grzz I agree own as many as makes you happy... just like the rifle guys ..lol

I had a half dozen compounds myself this winter and at times down to one favorite [but owning a shop.. a back up or repairs wasnt so far away...]

The only time I really paniced was when I flew deep into the NWT Caribou hunting and due to space could only bring one..and I wasnt going to use a firearm....Even thou a brought a portable press, two sets of strings and an xtra cam I felt totally naked...I am just not comfortable without a back up...

Neil
Old 02-20-2013, 02:51 PM

i have 8 bows 3 that get regular usage and i always take an extra bow along when I go on a hunting trip.Its much easier just to hump it back to camp grab a back up then to go home or even try to fix whats wrong in the field.(im not a professional, this is only my opinion)
Old 02-20-2013, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mb-MBR View Post
17 and counting.
Leroy
Old 02-20-2013, 04:26 PM

I had a spare, but recently sold it. I never used it - and archery equipment is always depreciating fast so it was a waste of money. You spend big dollars on a decent spare, never use it and sell it for 50% of what you paid two years later. If you wait any longer you can't sell it. At least that's how I saw it for me personally.
Old 02-20-2013, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petew View Post
You need more.
I've been cutting back and got rid of a closet full!!!
Old 02-20-2013, 05:15 PM

I only have 2. They are both the same, and are set up the same, and the parts are more or less interchangeable. I also have a spare set of strings and cables, if need be. Most of the time I just bring a portable press and spare string and cables if I am going very far from home. For as long as I have been archery hunting, I have had a spare, but have never actually needed one. used to drag 2 bows with me every spring when I go turkey hunting too, what a waste of truck space!
Old 02-21-2013, 08:59 AM

Interesting almost half and half..50% yes - 50% no

Down in the US the percentage was much higher for "Yes"

and the percentage is higher here if you do have a back up bow you have two or more... lol

Neil
Old 02-24-2013, 10:43 AM

I don't but wish I did.