Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 01-27-2013, 10:30 AM

Default Children's bow suggestions ?

I was thinking of buying my daughter a bow. She is turning 5 soon and she is getting bored with the arrows with suction cups on the end. Anyone have or have any suggestions on a good youth bow?
Old 01-27-2013, 11:06 AM

That's pretty tuff. I know as she gets older a mission craze is a great one, fully adjustable with no mod or cam swaps. But as far as 5 goes I'm clueless.
Old 01-27-2013, 11:07 AM

I picked up my Son a Martin Tiger for his first bow.....not top of the line but won't break the bank and its pretty safe, no way the arrow can slip off the rest.

LC
Old 01-27-2013, 02:06 PM

Easy...Diamond Nuclear Ice. My 3 year grandson shoots one...u can adjust the draw length and weight for years as they grow.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=164750

http://www.cabelas.ca/product/21974/...-youth-bow-kit

There is also the Genesis youth bow

http://www.basspro.com/Genesis-Mini-...product/79895/
Old 01-27-2013, 02:24 PM

when i started i shot a recurve (age 5-15). personally i find starting with trad is a better option for kids. it doesnt overwhelm them with all the differences and ever changing world of compound. again a personal thought i think starting with traditional will also engrain proper form and what not a whole lots better than starting with compound. i started with a hoyt k-bow, and i still have it and shoot it.
it also wont break the bank if the child decides archery isnt for them

good luck!
Old 01-27-2013, 02:38 PM

My son is 5 and I bought him a martin tiger as well. I like the total arrow containment but I wish that the draw length could be adjusted to fit him better. I will probably upgrade him to a Dimand Atomic(I believe that's what its called). They are still light weight for the little guys and very adjustable in draw weight and length.
Old 01-27-2013, 04:22 PM

It looks like they don't make them anymore. Or it seems cabelas doesn't carry them anymore.
Old 01-27-2013, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG78 View Post
It looks like they don't make them anymore. Or it seems cabelas doesn't carry them anymore.
http://m.cabelas.com/cabelas/product...007&id=1373946. This is the package that I was talking about. 6-29 lbs and no tools needed to change draws lengths.
Old 01-27-2013, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinkhammer View Post
My son is 5 and I bought him a martin tiger as well. I like the total arrow containment but I wish that the draw length could be adjusted to fit him better. I will probably upgrade him to a Dimand Atomic(I believe that's what its called). They are still light weight for the little guys and very adjustable in draw weight and length.
I might be looking for something a bit more adjustable and higher quality too (something I can put a peep sight on etc.) ...my little guy has almost out grown his Martin Tiger....so there might be one up for grabs here sometime soon

LC
Old 01-28-2013, 07:59 AM

x2 on the Mathews Mini Genesis..great quaility and adjustability for the smaller youngster's...

Neil
Old 01-28-2013, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
I might be looking for something a bit more adjustable and higher quality too (something I can put a peep sight on etc.) ...my little guy has almost out grown his Martin Tiger....so there might be one up for grabs here sometime soon

LC
Check out the Bear Apprentice, bought one for my son for x-mas, awsome bow, fully adjustable without a press, lots of draw weight and draw lenght adjustment. Vey impressed with this bow, came RTH with pretty good accessories.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:26 PM

Both of my sons have been shooting a bow since they were around 5-6.
They started out with a fairly simple recurve style of bow to help them learn the basics and work on form and consistent anchor point.

Something like this:
http://ca.wholesalesports.com/storef...rod275254.html

It may not take long for your daughter to out grow or get bored of something like that though. My younger son, 10 years old, now shots an old youth Browning compound bow, he is almost too big for it. Draw length is too short for him.

Last year we bought our older son, tuning 12 next month a Bear Apprentice, he loves it but it might be a bit much for a 5 year old as the lightest it goes is 15lbs and you need to be careful of young kids doing shoulder damage pulling too much weight with a compound. That said maybe a recurve style bow would be a good next step.

If you think a compound is more what she would like then you should really look at a Diamond Infinity Ice:
http://diamondarchery.com/#/productB..._products&i=42

It goes as low as 5lbs up to 70 lbs if its not too heavy for your daughter to hold it may be a bow that will grow with her for many years! Might pick one of these for my younger boy.

Good luck! Some of my favorite days are spent in the gopher patch with my boys stalking and sticking the wiley Richardsons ground squirel.
Old 01-29-2013, 07:33 AM

My 5 yr old daughter shoots a samick little angel recurve, and my 8 yr old shoots a Matthews mini genesis. Both good little bows.
Old 01-29-2013, 02:35 PM

The Diamond Atomic( replacement for the nuclear ice) would be perfect for a kid that age. Looking at one for my son who is 4. Very adjustable and will last for for multiple years. Great looking bow as well.

Old 01-29-2013, 03:46 PM

Sorry to derail this thread, but if anyone has a Martin Tiger used they want to sell I'd be interested. My 3yr old is choked that his suction cup arrows don't stick in the deer target. Time to upgrade
Old 01-29-2013, 06:39 PM

For that age look at the Samick Shadow longbow and some 1/4" arrows, or the Mad Dog Pup in a longbow or Recurve. These are not toys, and priced right around a Hundred bucks.

Pete
Old 02-03-2013, 09:07 PM

It might not fit the littlest ones but APA has released the Rattler youth bow this year 16-28" draw and 20-60# draw weight. the best part is it has the same fang riser of the adult bows with a light 3lbs weight.
definitely worth a look
Old 02-04-2013, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Front Row View Post
It might not fit the littlest ones but APA has released the Rattler youth bow this year 16-28" draw and 20-60# draw weight. the best part is it has the same fang riser of the adult bows with a light 3lbs weight.
definitely worth a look

X2 Nice bow for the older youngsters..shoots awesome..

Neil
Old 03-03-2013, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmountainrider View Post
Sorry to derail this thread, but if anyone has a Martin Tiger used they want to sell I'd be interested. My 3yr old is choked that his suction cup arrows don't stick in the deer target. Time to upgrade
I have a Martin Tiger that I would sell you for $50, send me a PM if interested. Will come with hip quiver and a few arrows.

LC
Old 03-05-2013, 05:01 PM

Just got my 6 year old daughter a Diamond Atomic bow last week and I cannot say enough good things about this bow. It's a great design, superlight, and has lots of room for growth, which was important to me cause they grow so damn fast!! I have a big ol' grin on my face everytime she comes and asks to go shoot it. Set up with a 17" draw at around 9lbs. LOL I even find it fun to shoot. Sticks into my RhinoBlock target about 3/4" to 1". Picked it up from Wolverine in Red Deer and Chris did a great job setting it up for her.