Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

View Poll Results: Have you fallen through the ice?
YES 120 40.68%
NO 175 59.32%
Voters: 295. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-08-2013, 10:47 AM

Default Have you Been through the ice?

Based on Scariest moments thread.

Have you gone thru the ice?

Did when I was younger.
Rondeau Bay - fishing perch and crappie.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:51 AM

Fell through the ice on a snowmobile up the creek at Pigeon. Worst part was having to climb into waste deep muck to lift the sled out.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:52 AM

Pigeon Lake south of the Provincial, 4 INCHES OF ICE held an F350 on the first pass went thru when i turned around. 16 inches everywhere else
Old 01-08-2013, 11:19 AM

I was, but in a very controlled manner. Had to get to shore where ice got broken off, and would rather try my luck with makeshift bridge 15m from the track with spare cloths and boots and ~ 3 FOV, than go looking for a better spot (was nothing close). Still counts, I guess
Old 01-08-2013, 11:35 AM

Fell through Lake Sundance as a kid; luckily a buddy was able to grab my hands and pull me up. I was a pretty fair swimmer at that age but wow that cold water just sends your body into shock immediately. It gave me a lifetime of respect for ice.
Old 01-08-2013, 11:38 AM

I fell in last year... Wasn't too bad though. Be weary around docks... I went in ust below my waist, ice was soft and thin... thick everywhere else though.
Old 01-08-2013, 11:41 AM

Exclamation Rental Truck

Ice fishin up at Crooked Lake I put the front end of a new ford ranger rental truck thru the ice. Lots of people and equipment to help me get out of this disaster...quite scary. Just another ice fishin adventure.

Last edited by Paul C; 01-08-2013 at 11:50 AM.
Old 01-08-2013, 11:46 AM

fell through with a pair of long wooden snowshoes on when I was 15 yrs old, thank god the water was only 4 ft deep. It was cold and I was close to a cabin. It was a snow covered air hole and in I went.
Old 01-08-2013, 12:10 PM
Gone Hunting

We had a terrible winter storm blow through here and I went through all the ice we had in the house. It was terrible. I had to put snow in a glass to chill my forty creek.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 01-08-2013, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
We had a terrible winter storm blow through here and I went through all the ice we had in the house. It was terrible. I had to put snow in a glass to chill my forty creek.
Yes dear needs to kick you in the bum
Old 01-08-2013, 12:39 PM

Went through the ice at Carburn park ponds when I was 12. Had a buddy with me who grabbed a big ass tree branch from shore while I held on to the edge of the hole. Luckily we had both been through some survival camps and he knew to belly crawl back to me and I survived. Then again when I was about 19, I was foolishly fishing the bow and walking along the shore ice when it gave way and I went for an extremely cold dip again. This time it wasnt deep and I was able to stand up and walk out. Walking back to the car, pants freezing to my legs, was the longest few minutes of my life. Felt like hours. LOL
Old 01-08-2013, 01:18 PM

15 years old, East Coast jumping from ice sheet to ice sheet in the harbour just off the dock....ya I know, definatley not the smartest turnip in the patch...anyway, turns out the last one i jumped to was nothing more then a loosely gathered patch of small ice fragments and slush. My buddies said they S*** their pants seeing me jump from 1-2-3-SPLASH! Yea..that sucked. Insant thermal shock, diaphram locked up, could barely move my arms, had to kick my boots off to get back to the surface. They were the slip on type thank GOD..I grabbed the nearest ice sheet I could and played Titanic for about 5 minutes until someone one who saw what happened from the dock jumped in a small row boat and saved my ass....until i got home...
Old 01-08-2013, 01:19 PM

I do it on purpose.

With scuba gear.
Old 01-08-2013, 01:24 PM

Been through several times, and helped get a friend out once, he hit a spring hole or something right in the middle of our holes where every one had 12 inches good ice, it was scary as my buddy had his kids there could have easily been one of them, funny thing was I was going to do ice water rescue training that night. Having that training has helped me get out the last 2 times I went in, gives a little sense of control to a rather scary experience, and helped keep calm knowing how to get out. I reccomend anyone who plans to spend time on frozen lakes take a course or watch videos on self rescue at least, never know when it will save yours or someone elses life.
Old 01-08-2013, 01:24 PM

3 years ago on Hasse lake about 2 feet from shore. The water was 3" deep but the mud was almost 2 feet. 5" of ice everywhere but beside the beach...
Old 01-08-2013, 01:28 PM

When i was ten. Playn under a bridge on nose creek. Chest deep water and freaking cold. It was a long bike ride home.
Old 01-08-2013, 01:38 PM

was walking across the river in camp wainwright 4 years ago in -30 temp.got 2/3 the way across and went in. only thing that held me from going under was my elbow and my hunting rifle. the mile walk to the truck was a cold one after my hunting partners pulled me out.
Old 01-08-2013, 01:43 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishingMOM View Post
Yes dear needs to kick you in the bum
I think there's laws against senior abuse

Oh! I just remembered.

When I was a young lad I went ice fishing with a buddy. It seemed like the thing to do since there was no global whining then and it was the ice age after all.
The Detroit river would choke with ice but never ever really freeze solid. We used to ice fish in the canals that were used to load great lakes freighters. There was little to no current and the ice could get to 3 feet thick by the end of winter. Try chopping a hole in that with a spud.

At the mouth f the canal there was usually open water depending on which way the wind blew. We often fished at night without a shack. A Coleman lantern on the ice would allow us to watch a bobber in the hole.

When it was slow we would wander around to chat with the other fishermen. One night, I went to the mouth to see how the fishing was. The wind was blowing cold out into the canal. I turned my back to it and stepped back so I wasn't crowding the guys fishing there. As I stepped back the ice flow that I thought was solid ice tipped and I went to my knees in the water washing over the floe. Scared me skinny.

I looked like something out the Matrix as I 'got air' and landed back on the solid ice. I still don't know what was funny about that but there were lots of guys laughing.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand

Last edited by Redfrog; 01-08-2013 at 01:52 PM.
Old 01-08-2013, 01:58 PM

Time goes bye we get older and grey, but the day is cleaer and really really crisp!! Zeta lake 1980ishWalked through a beaver run. Longest walk back to camp in my life. That is why I am supper safe and alive today.
I took a youg man from South America ice fishing, and was sure we were all insane Respect the ice

Red Neck Out
Old 01-08-2013, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
I think there's laws against senior abuse You qualify as a senior?

Oh! I just remembered.

When I was a young lad I went ice fishing with a buddy. It seemed like the thing to do since there was no global whining then and it was the ice age after all.
The Detroit river would choke with ice but never ever really freeze solid. We used to ice fish in the canals that were used to load great lakes freighters. There was little to no current and the ice could get to 3 feet thick by the end of winter. Try chopping a hole in that with a spud.

At the mouth f the canal there was usually open water depending on which way the wind blew. We often fished at night without a shack. A Coleman lantern on the ice would allow us to watch a bobber in the hole.

When it was slow we would wander around to chat with the other fishermen. One night, I went to the mouth to see how the fishing was. The wind was blowing cold out into the canal. I turned my back to it and stepped back so I wasn't crowding the guys fishing there. As I stepped back the ice flow that I thought was solid ice tipped and I went to my knees in the water washing over the floe. Scared me skinny.

I looked like something out the Matrix as I 'got air' and landed back on the solid ice. I still don't know what was funny about that but there were lots of guys laughing.
I think I know which canals your talking about, infact I have prolly fished the same ones. I'd laugh at ya too!
Old 01-08-2013, 03:47 PM

It was near the Marsh lake outlet into the Yukon River.
Fortunately, I had a full Mustang floatation suit on. I was in the water, and back out on the ice like a basking seal before my partner looked around.
It could have been really bad because there was current under the ice as the lake drained into the river.
Some days are enough to get one's heart rate up.
Old 01-08-2013, 05:33 PM

Way back when,there was 5 of us in a Toyota Landcruser.Before the sun was up we were heading across Bever Mines Lake. When all of a sudden the front end fell in. The truck kept going in. When it hit the staight up and down windsheild the water presure pushed the front window in on us.Then it started filling up fast.When that water hits you,you lose your breath.I remember having to take a deep breath because I knew we were going in.The water presure pushed me back in the seat and with my windows up I tryed to punch out the side window. I could'nt swing my arms fast enough to break the widow. By this time the truck had hit the bottom we were in 20FOW.The lights were still on in the dash and I knew the front windsheild was out.I made my way to the lights and got out the front.All that time I was working off my big heavy down filled coat. I pushed myself up and away from the truck. When I got to the top I wacked my head good on the bottom of the ice.I could'nt find the hole.A few seconds of swimming around I finally found the hole.I popped out of there like one of those penguins popps out of the water.When I got out,there was 2 of my buddies standing on the ice.A few seconds later 1 more popped up. We helped him out.I would say a minute went by and we all knew our good frend was'nt getting out. That all took about 2 minutes. This is one of the biggest reasons I live life to the fullest everyday.
Old 01-08-2013, 08:02 PM

Ice fishing Lac Lanonne 20 yrs ago. Brought the two enticers, went for a ride with the GF while my friends fished. Get to the church camp, hit a spring between the island and shore. Only the locals knew about said spring. I seen the blue ice at the last minute. I fell in but was close to the island shore. Skis hung up on the ice, bumper in 3 ft of water. I was able to jump to good ice. Look back, here comes the GF but she is out in deeper water. Wave for her to stop. She see's me and hits the brake but slides to the edge of very thin ice. Just like in the bugs bunny cartoon, i thought she was safe. Not. Sled breaks through and she goes down with it. She was standing on the seat when the ride stopped. Water was up to her chest. I ran to the island, broke off a long skinnny deadfall. Ran out to her, belly crawled till the tree was at her. Now i had to convice her to get off the sled. Alot of f bombs to snap her to reality and with the instructions you jump and kick, i pull and she was out on the first try. Got away from the hole and said to her "take off your clothes" I will never forget the look on her face when i said that. She stripped down to her spandex and t shirt and i gave her my snow pants, coat and boots. I then tied her wet clothes in a ball and tried to fit size 11 feet into her boots. We were walking to a jeep out on the ice to get a lift back when a girl giving her cousin a sled ride came by. She seen what happened and i told her to take my GF back around the corner to our group. She was instructed to get in the truck and heater on high, dont get out until i say. Never forget that day.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:38 PM

Crossing a frozen creek while hunting... the rifle held sideways is what kept me from going all the way through.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:40 PM

November many years ago, Son was drawn for Antlerless moose in Blackfoot.

We were headed back to truck at end of day when we came to a trail closed sign. I went ahead anyhow not wanting to take the long route back. When we came to the reason for the closure the beavers had flooded about 15 feet of the trail that extended about 40 feet into the bush, I got lazy did not want to fight thru thru the bush to get around, so I took a convenient beaver log and broke the ice, found it was 2" thick and only 3" deep.
So I busted thru every so often found no change till I was about 2 Feet from oposite side Turned to my son said those famous last words
"see no problem" took one more step broke thru and went in up to my chest in a damn beaver run! fortunatly the thing was only about a foot wide even though I never felt the bottom.
I managed to flop my way forward and get Out as only one leg went in the run the other was still in the shallow part. I had no gun only non waterproof binos I yelled at my son not to follow but go around thru the bush.
Well he's laughing his ass off. I yelled just meet me at the truck and took off for the 400 mtr run back to the truck at -20c my clothes were frozen stiff by the time I had gone 100 mtrs when wool pants freeze their like iron, turned the last 300 mtrs into a high speed waddle I got to the truck, I was soaked with sweat inside I started it and stripped down in the parking lot.
I had a pair of dry sweat pants and an old jack shirt, so thought dry clothes were first on the menu.
I had just finished putting them on when I noticed a woman sitting in her car watching about 4 stalls away, she must have figured the show was over as she then smiled waved and drove off.

Last edited by Moosetalker; 01-08-2013 at 10:57 PM.
Old 01-08-2013, 11:00 PM

Went through an unmarked 3ft x 3ft netting hole south of the bridge at Lac Ste.Anne 15 yrs or so ago.

A snow storm started blowing in so we left and as I was walking back to the truck right beside my brother-in-law, I stepped on the hole which had 1" of ice on it and covered with snow. They used a chainsaw to cut a perfectly square hole in the 24" thick ice.

Thank God he was there to pull me out cause I would have died as my heavy coveralls and boots were sinking me fast. It was 13ft deep there and I was up to my chin when he grabbed me.

To add insult to injury, after I got out and started the bitter 200yrd walk back to the truck, a group of native kids walked by my truck and booted in the fender and door. I was so cold I couldn't even run after them.

It was -23 plus the wind chill and I drove back to the city in my underwear, that was cold!
Old 01-09-2013, 08:39 AM

Kind of - Was quadding into an area for moose and the bike fell through a patch of muskeg on a cutline. No winch on the bike so I threw the rope and come-along across to my partner who was on high ground. I crawled across to the edge and when I stood up I went through to my chest. I was out pretty quick, but was froze through pretty fast. A roaring fire and some public nudity followed
Old 01-09-2013, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dago View Post
Way back when,there was 5 of us in a Toyota Landcruser.Before the sun was up we were heading across Bever Mines Lake. When all of a sudden the front end fell in. The truck kept going in. When it hit the staight up and down windsheild the water presure pushed the front window in on us.Then it started filling up fast.When that water hits you,you lose your breath.I remember having to take a deep breath because I knew we were going in.The water presure pushed me back in the seat and with my windows up I tryed to punch out the side window. I could'nt swing my arms fast enough to break the widow. By this time the truck had hit the bottom we were in 20FOW.The lights were still on in the dash and I knew the front windsheild was out.I made my way to the lights and got out the front.All that time I was working off my big heavy down filled coat. I pushed myself up and away from the truck. When I got to the top I wacked my head good on the bottom of the ice.I could'nt find the hole.A few seconds of swimming around I finally found the hole.I popped out of there like one of those penguins popps out of the water.When I got out,there was 2 of my buddies standing on the ice.A few seconds later 1 more popped up. We helped him out.I would say a minute went by and we all knew our good frend was'nt getting out. That all took about 2 minutes. This is one of the biggest reasons I live life to the fullest everyday.
Sorry to hear that Dago... That's probably one of the most terrifying things possible to have happen. It's too bad it often takes near death experiences and loss of friends before we realize how precious life is and how easy it is for it to end.

I've luckily never fallen through. I try to be as safe as possible, although I'm sure luck has played a role in that as well.
Old 01-09-2013, 12:47 PM

I went under ice once in a creek when i was 8, it was an open creek about 3 feet deep and as i was crossing and trying to climb out on far side, the sled got stuck and I stepped into water to push sled and got my feet taken out by current and then swept into a deep hole and under the thin ice... after about 30 feet I popped my arms through and my dad grabbed them hauled me out and rolled me in snow to wick the water off... then it was a tear into the cabin 8 miles away and get the stove going... to this day i respect water!...

Then I was working forestry and crossing river on foot and was crossing backchannel but there was a spring and I went through up to chest, I lost a lense out of my glasses and had a 400m walk through bush to truck... at -30. Again i rolled in snow to wick the water away and then took off for the truck... kept eyes on truck and kept legs moving... got to truck and took keys out of fuel cap and started truck... crawled into backseat and took clothes off and got in sleeping bag... after an hour I could start moving legs again.... Very scary....

In both cases it was not drowning it was hypothermia....that was the biggest danger.

The vehicle story where one did not make it is a very real warning.... Thank You!
Old 01-09-2013, 12:47 PM

Location: Just this side of no-where on the edge of common sense

I have been through the ice three times.

Once as a teenager hunting rats on Lost Cabin lake. Warm spring weather and the edges of the ice had melted away from the shoreline anywhere from a few inches to a few feet. Three friends in front of me, two of them ~200 pounds plus, make the small jump no problem. Skinny little me takes his turn and POOF...GONE! I did manage to hang onto my rifle and swim to the surface with it then to shore. Friends were smart enough to build a roaring hot fire immediately so I could get warm and dry. They also each took off an article of clothing so I could warm up. An hour later it felt good putting on those toasty hot clothes again.

One time a friend and I dropped our eight wheel Argo through the ice on a creek in November ~ -25. Argo's float....IF you have the plugs in........That is when we discovered that the worst kind of MAD is when you are mad at yourself.

And one time I fell through a beaver run about 30 yards away from the lake shore. Everything was frozen solid, I had plenty of distance away from the lake and had no intentions of going any closer and about a foot of snow was on the ground. It had been a long day in the snow and cold, I was a little over a mile away from home on foot and I had it in "hurry" mode to get home before dark. Never saw it coming, just hot footin' it along and POOF!...GONE!
The only thing that saved me was the hole was so tight it peeled my clothing up from the top of my boots all the way to my armpits and left it all bunched up under my armpits. Took me a while to wriggle my way back out then re-arrange my clothes, jump up and down to "lower the equipment" again...squeaky voice.

Then I knew I REALLY had to hot foot it home because it was either move or die. Fortunately I was in very good shape, had spent most of my life walking long distances and could turn on the endurance and speed. I was still a frozen mass of ice and clothing by the time I made it home and I couldn't figure out how to get out of those darn frozen solid clothes. My wife said "Climb in the shower dummy!" and that's when I knew hypothermia was setting in.

Three years ago my brother in law went through the ice on his own pond in his tractor. He was clearing a place for his grandkids and family to skate. He did not survive.
Regards,
Dave.