Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-05-2013, 04:07 PM

Default Highwood river?

Yes i know the river is not open till spring but i have only ever caught one fish on the highwood and thats beside the bridge in high river as its a close walk for me. At that spot what works to catch fish i caught on whitefish in 2010 using maggots on somthing just dont remeber what it was i have tried all things in my tackle box and nothing works. So what do you guys us for under the bridge in high river need some help would like to catch one or two this year thanks guys/gals
FA
Old 01-05-2013, 06:03 PM

Use the search function and check out one of the many threads on the highwood.
Old 01-05-2013, 07:00 PM

Read them don't find anything on spin casting on what to use.
Old 01-05-2013, 07:07 PM

Default highwood

i def had more luck on the fly and what are you planning on targeting?? ive had luck with maggots but only the fist week they open.. id say panther marins mepps and some small raps possibly.. use big stuff if u targeting the bulls but havent heard of many in town. but try goin up river by the golf course ect i know there some nice pools by the course. good luck man. highwood can be challenging river but keep trying the bridge prob not the best spot in summer case of all the swimmers/ jumpers off the bridge.
Old 01-05-2013, 07:08 PM

Ive caught a whole lot of whites in your hood, used to be a lot better fishing for them but its still good. I used a coat hanger cut in 3 pieces and each piece bent in a V shape, use whatever number you need to keep your weight skipping along the bottom. use a size 12 snelled hook that hangs about 3 or 4 inches above the bottom, and for bait try a bright orange rubber grub cut into the little segments, that way you dont have to worry about a bait ban, if the grub is unscented. just hook the segment very lightly through the edge so the fish get the hook. I used to fish around the campground, and up from town across from the golfcourse. In the fall the bottom of the river would be paved with big whites, but thats no longer the case I hear, unfortunately. Used this system for a lot of years in the Bow too and caught a lot of big fish.

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 01-05-2013, 07:13 PM

Thanks you kpeda and Wayne for your help will use those this season
Old 01-05-2013, 07:15 PM

Try out one of the clear floats where you can regulate (let in) water to give you enough weight to cast it out. Start slightly buoyant and regulate down from there to see what works best in the current and structure you are fishing.

Run a fluoro leader 24"-30" onto a decent sized fly.

Let it bounce .........
Old 01-05-2013, 07:16 PM

wouldnt mind giving it a go maybe this summer, been a long time since I fished it. there used to be a log jam under the bridge, and there was a huge rainbow that lived under it. probably got washed away in the floods. I caught a beaver with my fly rod down around the corner from the bridge, that was a cool fight. for all 5 seconds

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 01-05-2013, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
wouldnt mind giving it a go maybe this summer, been a long time since I fished it. there used to be a log jam under the bridge, and there was a huge rainbow that lived under it. probably got washed away in the floods. I caught a beaver with my fly rod down around the corner from the bridge, that was a cool fight. for all 5 seconds
The log jam under the bridge? It's still there as far as I know. Weirdest thing I caught at highwood in town was a car I was fishing beside the bridge casting under it using a spoon from my great grandfather with my new rod and the spoon landed on the bridge before I could pull the spoon into the water a car hooked it took all my line in good 5-10 seconds and my spoon still have the rod and if it was any of you that I caught I am deeply sorry.
Old 01-08-2013, 04:57 PM

Head further west.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-peda View Post
... but try goin up river by the golf course ect i know there some nice pools by the course... highwood can be challenging river but keep trying the bridge prob not the best spot in summer case of all the swimmers/ jumpers off the bridge.
x2 upstream of the bridge, besides the golf course/behind George Lane Park all the way up to the NW edge of town has some good runs and pools.

The run behind Wallaceville (just past Rio Vista golf course downstream to behind River Roadhouse) used to be somewhat productive, too, but IDK what it's like nowadays.

Like Wayne said, fishing used to be quite good in town years ago. In September when the whitefish were moving up the river, you couldn't get you fly/maggot combo anywhere near the bottom because of all the whites.

Anyways, then we had the floods of 1995, 2005, 2008 and 2011. Those floods and the reconfiguration of the riverbed along the golfcourse for flood mitigation purposes eliminated a lot of good fish holding habitat (holes, riffles, rock piles and beaverlodges).

Like K-peda said -- upstream (west) of town is much better than in town.

Good luck
Old 01-09-2013, 03:28 AM
Banned

float a single red salmon egg along the bottom , use a fly rod , no weight , maybe a very small split shot if you like.
Old 01-09-2013, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimboy View Post
float a single red salmon egg along the bottom , use a fly rod , no weight , maybe a very small split shot if you like.

Highwood River

from Kananaskis Country Boundary downstream to 500 m above the mouth & tributaries (except Sheep River).
June 16 to Oct. 31 – Trout limit 0; Mountain Whitefish limit 5 over 30 cm; Maggots are the only bait allowed and only in the river from Aug. 16 to Oct. 31.
Nov. 1 to June 15 – CLOSED
within 500 m of the mouth (See Bow River – the portion from the Western Headworks Diversion [W.H.D.] Weir downstream to Carseland Weir.)

Old 01-09-2013, 11:05 AM

you could use artificial, or salmon egg fly.
Old 01-11-2013, 05:35 PM

If you're spin fishing be prepared to walk a lot. I've had lots of success with small spinners (0-2) and nymphs under bobbers. We usually fish between Hogg Park and Longview but I've also caught a couple big bulls higher up into Kananaskis country.

Check out this video of a big bull trout that was attacking whitefish we were catching in the Highwood late last summer. It doesn't look like much in the vid but it must've been around 28-30 inches. Please excuse our giddiness
Old 01-11-2013, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8orDie View Post
If you're spin fishing be prepared to walk a lot. I've had lots of success with small spinners (0-2) and nymphs under bobbers. We usually fish between Hogg Park and Longview but I've also caught a couple big bulls higher up into Kananaskis country.

Check out this video of a big bull trout that was attacking whitefish we were catching in the Highwood late last summer. It doesn't look like much in the vid but it must've been around 28-30 inches. Please excuse our giddiness
Does anyone know what they used under that bobber?
Old 01-11-2013, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishingaddict View Post
Does anyone know what they used under that bobber?
Never mind
Old 01-11-2013, 08:01 PM

Thumbs up

[QUOTE=N8orDie;1796136]If you're spin fishing be prepared to walk a lot. I've had lots of success with small spinners (0-2) and nymphs under bobbers. We usually fish between Hogg Park and Longview but I've also caught a couple big bulls higher up into Kananaskis country.

Check out this video of a big bull trout that was attacking whitefish we were catching in the Highwood late last summer. It doesn't look like much in the vid but it must've been around 28-30 inches. Please excuse our giddiness [/QUOTE

Giddiness excused.
Cool vid. Any fisherman who doesn't get excited in that circumstance should check his pulse; he may already be dead...
Old 01-11-2013, 08:06 PM

use that white fish tail.