Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 12-06-2012, 11:21 AM

Default floating ice on the bow

When i tried to go fishing on Tuesday the bow river had ice chunks floating every where and every time i tried to cast my fly it would just land on a ice block and float down the river. is the river like this the whole winter.
Old 12-06-2012, 12:19 PM

You will have better luck if you go fishing on days when there is a chinook happening. Conditions seem to better when its above 3C. The river also gets warmed a bit by outflow from Bonnybrook, so downstream from there tends to have less ice.
The anchor ice has really taken off in the last 10 days around downtown. The water must be pretty close to zero.
Old 12-10-2012, 07:07 AM

It really depends on the temperature fluctuations but I've noticed that it can take anywhere from one to three days for the ice chunks to disappear enough to have a decent day.
It would be really nice if someone posted a webcam of the bow river ice flows during the winter months. I bet it would make money in subscriptions or advertising rights on Youtube.
Old 12-10-2012, 12:42 PM

You will find that a warm spell after a few cold days will also have ice chunks as the shelves begin to break away. The Bow tends to a more steady-state in January, for the next dozen weeks because the sun does not really have enough power to directly melt much (even if the air temperature is high).