Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-22-2010, 09:36 PM

Default Asterisks in Trophy Books?

I heard the other day that if you shoot a trophy animal with your bow and you have a gun with you for protection that there will be an asterisks by your name in some trophy books. Not sure if this is true. Anyone know about this???
Old 09-23-2010, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrowman View Post
I heard the other day that if you shoot a trophy animal with your bow and you have a gun with you for protection that there will be an asterisks by your name in some trophy books. Not sure if this is true. Anyone know about this???
Incorrect, the astericks in the P&Y record books means the bows let off is set higher than 65% (I think it's 65%). There are some very traditional bow hunters that believe today's compounds are vastly superior than string and stick bows (and they are correct). Unfortunately, in the early days, they never kept track of which animals were harvest with long & recurve bows vs compound bows with high let off. A few years back, the compromised to: One record book for all animal taken with bows (not cross-guns) with an asterick beside animals taken with high let off bows. The advantage of high let off bows is that you can hold draw longer (thus giving you more opportunities to draw as the animal approaches .... still trickly business knowing when to draw IMO)