Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-18-2010, 08:04 AM

Angry Damn Cows

We just came back from the Clearwater, Lynx Creek and Ram falls area west of us, and not a single Elk spotted or any sign other than the occasional old elk track, lots of deer sign, but no elk. so I lost what might be my only chance to hunt elk for the first time. My Kerry says that it was because of the cattle that are released into the area, elk don't like being around cows too much. I observed supposed "environmentally sensitive" wildlife sanctuary areas, and the cows have destroyed it by denuding the stream banks, pooping all over the place (including the stream! We seen it!)! Boy am I disappointed at the government for allowing this to happen. Kerry and I took pictures and we will be talking to someone about it. Kerry had tried before and the Fish and Wildlife at first didn't even know about the wildlife sanctuaries! Don't understand why they create these places, then allow cattle to come in and destroy the areas. I even seen cows waaaayyyyy up in the mountains where you think you couldn't possibly see one, and bam! There's a cow staring at you at 2000 feet above sea level.
Old 09-18-2010, 08:16 AM

Those cows have been out there for MANY years, they are not the reason for the low elk numbers. If you want to question fish and wildlife, ask them when they are going to start doing more to control the predator numbers. They are reluctant to do much about them with for a couple of reasons, Parks Canada wanting the numbers thinned way down, and of course the public outcry there would be with a wolf slaughter. I have already spent a couple weeks up in the Clearwater this fall, and am quite surprised how many elk I am seeing up there. The only reason for this is the hard work the local trappers have been doing the last few years in controlling the wolf population, I think we owe them our thanks, nobody else is doing much about it.
Old 09-18-2010, 08:28 AM

As said above it's a predator issue. Ever hunt 212, Manning or Spirit River etc? Lots of Elk and LOTS of cattle, farming etc. The wildlife sanctuaries you mention down by Elk Creek are for overwintering areas. Drive down at first light on a cold Feb. morning and you will definately see some game, usually moose. (10-20 at least in Elk Cr alone)
Old 09-19-2010, 07:26 PM

I am not too concerned with the wildlife numbers, but am SO DAMN SICK of seeing the devestation left by free grazing cows. The granola bar eating and tree hugging type are busy being critical of hunters, they should see what these cows to to their beloved Kananaskis. I nearly break my ankles walking through some areas because of the holes left by cows. The presence of free grazing cattle does have an effect on wildlife numbers in specific areas. All I find is cow patties EVERYWHERE, can't find a stream to wash my hands in that doesn't have a pile of S**t in it.
The ranchers need to keep the cows on their own land
Old 09-21-2010, 02:28 PM

Default whitebear

Anyone who has hunted wmu 406 will also agree that cows are making this beautiful area into a devastated mess. What concerns me is that it is hard to even find an area to hunt that has not been ravaged by these cows. The old saying applies: Out of sight, out of mind. Very few of these areas see much human traffic but it is still no reason to allow this to continue. Kananaskis Country was set aside for recreational use (hunting,hiking,fishing etc.) and not for ranching. If applicable levys/fees were charged for these grazing leases it simply would no longer be feasible for ranchers to use them (fees are currently so low they might as well be free). There is no reason to allow ranchers to continue to graze their cows in these areas. If they want to raise cattle, grassland on the prairies can be used. Don't fool yourself into believing that by letting these cattle graze in these areas that there is no effect on the wildlife. Overgrazing and the ruination of these areas by cattle has pushed the elk, bears and everything else further and further out into the surrounding areas. It is unacceptable and will not be tolerated. In 2011 an application for grant will be put forth proposing a review of the feasibility of livestock grazing in the Sheep River and Highwood river ranges (WMU's 404 and 406). Pending the findings of the study these livestock grazing leases will be permanently ceased.
Old 09-21-2010, 02:36 PM

The shear size of the Domestic animal herds allowed to free range is having a negative impact on local resources including water quailty.

Again one of those issues untill 20 years or more go by and the full effects are finally felt by irreversable damage is found will we have our heads in the ground.
Old 09-21-2010, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikanit View Post
....and bam! There's a cow staring at you at 2000 feet above sea level.
That cow must have been in one hell of a big hole, considering Calgary is at 3,450 feet ASL!?!?!!

Old 09-21-2010, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikanit View Post
elk don't like being around cows too much.
news to me - the elk would have never have started re-establishing themselves on the prairies if that were true.
Old 09-22-2010, 01:24 AM

Spending so much time around cattle in alberta is beginning to turn me off beef.

In the densities usually present, they are very hard on ecosystem - especially riparian habitat and the fish bearing quality of creeks. They also seem to have a very high sh*t production rate.

So I hoping for a full freezer of game meat this season to last me through the next year....
Old 09-22-2010, 06:24 AM
Gone Hunting

Anyone who knows anything about ecology knows that large grazers were here for thousands of years, and are a vital element in the overall habitat health of all our areas of alberta.

It's just Alberta boys... Take what you can while you can,, if ya cant beat em join em.

Keep a strain on er
Old 09-22-2010, 09:29 AM

Happiest day of the year for me is the cattle drive through Turner Valley RETURNING cows from 406.
Usually mid October. I usually drive out and sit near the Anchor D and enjoy the last I will see of them for another year.
I do admit that after my game supply has dwindled I get a hankering to eat one or two.
Old 09-22-2010, 09:50 AM

Default Cows

I definitely don't see as many wild animals in areas with cows in the area at that time. Same with wild horses--the deer seem to head elsewhere. Lots of deer/elk in grazed areas obviously, just not generally at the same time from what I've seen.

The way bison roamed the landscape and the way cattle are generally grazed today are radically different. Bison did intense grazing for short time periods, churned the soil, provided fertilizer, then moved on leaving the forage to re-grow. Not how it's commonly done today, although for sure some ranchers are on that program and seeing good results from what I've been reading and hearing.

I buy my beef direct from a local rancher who uses practices I respect, tastes great too. Although we sold most of it to friends last year as we had enough venison, hoping for the same this year.
Old 09-22-2010, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitebear View Post
In 2011 an application for grant will be put forth proposing a review of the feasibility of livestock grazing in the Sheep River and Highwood river ranges (WMU's 404 and 406). Pending the findings of the study these livestock grazing leases will be permanently ceased.
I find this very interesting and would like to know more. Do you have any further information on this or a link to that information?
Old 09-22-2010, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beansgunsghandi View Post

The way bison roamed the landscape and the way cattle are generally grazed today are radically different. Bison did intense grazing for short time periods, churned the soil, provided fertilizer, then moved on leaving the forage to re-grow. Not how it's commonly done today, although for sure some ranchers are on that program and seeing good results from what I've been reading and hearing.
Intense grazing to the point of churning the soil sounds like extreme over-grazing to me. Not actually that common, and I would say very poor farming practices. Good luck with that pasture the following year. Rotational grazing is a commonly used practice, which is more in line how the cows out west graze, by moving around all the time. Believe it or not, proper grazing is much more healthy to grass rather than not being touched at all, or intense overgrazing.

Last edited by MountainTi; 09-22-2010 at 02:43 PM.
Old 09-22-2010, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudelpointer View Post
That cow must have been in one hell of a big hole, considering Calgary is at 3,450 feet ASL!?!?!!

Just a figure of speech buddy, the cow was way up a mountain. Lived at sea level for 25 years in Vancouver, so what do I know hee hee!
Old 09-22-2010, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post
Intense grazing to the point of churning the soil sounds like extreme over-grazing to me. Not actually that common, and I would say very poor farming practices. Good luck with that pasture the following year. Rotational grazing is a commonly used practice, which is more in line how the cows out west graze, by moving around all the time. Believe it or not, proper grazing is much more healthy to grass rather than not being touched at all, or intense overgrazing.
You beat me too it!! Very true, grazing does actually improve grass.
In 406 it's the wild horses that are making the big mess of the grassland.
Cows are out of the forestry by Thanksgiving every year.
Now we just have to get the wild horses gone.