Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-01-2010, 11:48 PM

Default Prospective Hunter...

Hello,
Name is Tyler and I have been on the site for awhile. Just the fishing section though. I have been a avid fisherman for a long time, but the past little bit me and my girlfriend have been thinking of getting into hunting side of things. Im a fan of wild meat, have a few taxidermist buddies, and have a itch to try it out. Questions I have is how is the best way to get into the hunting? I realize the dangers, and laws/regulations so Im thinking some sort of course would be a good idea. besides that how do you go about getting licenses? entered into draws? etc. Im sure this is asked all the time but bear with me lol. Im mostly interested in deer to start out if that matters. any tips will be much appreciated!
Old 09-01-2010, 11:59 PM

Welcome Tyler. I'm Jarrett and also new to hunting. I am totally pumped for the start of archery season here on Sept. 8 and of course rifle season later in the fall.

As for your questions on how to get into hunting, first it is good to know someone who has been hunting for many years. I know a few older guys and have learned valuable skills from them. For information on licenses and the laws and what not, check out the AlbertaRELM website or a hunting regulations booklet. If you absolutely cannot find the answers to your questions, just phone a Fish and Wildlife office and speak to an officer. It is to late to enter for any draws, but that can be done via the AlbertaRELM website if you so desire to next year.

Old 09-02-2010, 12:04 AM

awesome. i will try to track down a booklet. i work right beside the F&W office in town so i could run in and grab one. I wouldn't do anything this year anyways lol for actual tags/ draws. I need the course for the hunting license, and i need to go through the firearms course. so it looks like lots of school ahead for me lol
Old 09-02-2010, 12:04 AM

You have to have a hunter safety course before you can even purchase licences/ tags here in alberta now. The best way to do this to take the course through Alberta Hunter Education Instructor's Association in either Calgary or Edmonton. If you are outside of driving distance from either of these, you can also do the course online. I did a course in high school back in NB, but took the Alberta one a few years ago with my wife when she became interested in hunting. I can tell you from taking both, that if at all possible, its well worth the while to go to AHEIA and do the course there. When we did it in Calgary it was a 5 evening, and 2 day course.
Old 09-02-2010, 12:37 AM

cool. im right in edmonton so the course would be easy to do in the physical class. is there a recommended rifle for a beginner? only thing i have ever fired is a .22 a long time ago. also anywhere where people can get deals on gear?
Old 09-02-2010, 01:56 AM

If you check out the guns and ammo discussions, there is a pretty good one going right now about first rifles.
Old 09-02-2010, 09:06 AM

Hi Colour86. I live fairly close to Edmonton and would be happy to have you tag along on a deer hunt some time this fall. Also if you just want to sit down and chat about hunting some time, I'm sure I could find some free time for that too. If you're interested, send me a PM and we'll work something out.
Old 09-02-2010, 09:48 AM

that would be great! i will fire you a message. Thanks for the advice everyone. Looks like a lot to get started but once your done everything, your set for awhile.
Old 09-02-2010, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunt_and_fish View Post
Hi Colour86. I live fairly close to Edmonton and would be happy to have you tag along on a deer hunt some time this fall. Also if you just want to sit down and chat about hunting some time, I'm sure I could find some free time for that too. If you're interested, send me a PM and we'll work something out.
Welcome to AO Tyler and as you can see their are lots of great people and info here to help you out.

Well done Hunt and Fish...Keep up this good behaviour and you might get that call after all
Old 09-02-2010, 10:06 AM

color86, where are you located?
One of the best ways of getting int hunting is joing your local Fish & Game club. It may be the best $25-$30 you spend. This is a great place to meet other outdoorsmen, who probably can help you out locally.

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Benelli, Sako, Beretta, Tikka, Franchi, Burris, & Steiner
Old 09-02-2010, 03:22 PM

im north end edmonton by castledowns, and thanks. i will look into a local club. im in the info stages so the more information i can find the better.
Old 09-02-2010, 03:33 PM
Banned

When my dad worked out at the genesee plant they had a program where they partnered you with a Mentor and you could bow hunt the plant's property if you wanna give that a try.

Do you have to take a course now? I just studyed a book and went in to write the test.

I'd reccomend starting with birds over big game, going your first couple seasons without firing a shot can be discouraging for a new hunter, I speak from experience.

The best first rifle you can buy is a .22, the amount of money you will save on amo while learning to shoot alone will cover the cost of the rifle and you will use it your whole life for grouse, gophers, and practice. After that it depends on what you want to hunt. For birds you will need a shotgun, for big game a more powerfull rifle. What species you want to hunt will determine how powerfull a gun you need. If you own a .22, a 12 guage, and a rifle in the 7mm-08 to 30-06 range you can hunt anything in alberta and most of north america.
Old 09-02-2010, 03:38 PM

that program sounds interesting.might have to give it a look. i have a few taxidermists offering to take me out, as well as hunt and fish, so Its good I have some experienced people willing to help. as for the hunting license it seems like the course is mandatory now. Its either classroom or online though, your choice. gun license is a few days in classroom then the written/practical from what i have learned so far. Im mostly interested in deer. A nice whitetail to put in the freezer and i would be more then happy. possibly elk later on but im going to start slow and learn the ropes before i expand my horizons. Just looking to have some fun and land some meat in my freezer

i was thinking 7mm-08 or maybe a .270 to get started. On the right track?
Old 09-02-2010, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colour86 View Post
i was thinking 7mm-08 or maybe a .270 to get started. On the right track?
Both are good calibers that can handle any of the big game in Alberta.
Old 09-02-2010, 05:41 PM
Banned

I've got a .270 and its great. Got 3 moose and a bunch of deer with it, never had anything make it further than 20 yards and most of them far less than that. We'll see if I cant add an elk to that list this year. If I was buying it over again though I'd be tempted to get a 7mm-08.
Old 09-02-2010, 05:50 PM

if things work out im heading out to gennesse range this weekend if you want to tag along and shoot a few different guns. i can bring a .22 .223 .17hmr 30-30 300wsm send me a pm if you want to head out. will be ether saturday or sunday kevin
Old 09-03-2010, 02:15 PM

well i got the ball rolling today. registered for the AHEIA Hunter Education course which starts on the 15th, and the CFSC early November. that was the earliest, but im on the waiting list for October. lady at aheia said i can still hunt with no pal license as long as the license holder that owns the rifle im using is within arms reach. so i might even be able to get out this year if everything works out. i'm getting excited haven't been to school in a few years though. be weird getting back into a classroom environment
Old 09-03-2010, 08:59 PM

we will get you out this fall. you can tag along with me and the crew and im more than sure others on here will take you out.
Old 09-21-2010, 01:04 PM

well bit of an update. passed the AHEIA Hunter Conservation course, and got my wildlife certificate, and today passed my CFSC and CRFSC courses. I'm mailing out to get my pal tonight so its going to take awhile to get the actual license, but i guess i an start looking at guns. good feeling getting all the testing out of the way though.

Last edited by colour86; 09-21-2010 at 01:23 PM.
Old 09-21-2010, 05:38 PM

Welcome to the forum, one of the best calibers on the market is the .270 just because its so versatile You won't out grow one if deer,moose and elk are on your list.
Old 09-21-2010, 11:24 PM

Colour86,

I know there is a PILE of paperwork/courses/material to get through to become legal to hunt, but it is my hope that you will find it absolutly worth it when you get to get out there and spend time in the field and woods. It is quite expansive at first, specially with buying guns, ammo, knives, certificates, tags, etc. but I do hope the sastifaction you feel after its all done will be worth it.

Start looking for grouse, when your out hunting. Nothing gets the hunting urge going for me more than hunting a few ruffies ( plus a game bird licence is only 8 - 10 bucks ) and you can hunt them with a .22 or any size shotgun.

When you really start getting into hunting whitetail or mule deer, take time to read/study up on them - you will be fasinated learning about these awesome animals, then putting your knowledge into practice when you go after them.
All the best of luck - oh and by the way, get that girlfriend of yours into it too. We need more girls into hunting! Keep us posted!
Old 09-22-2010, 03:27 AM
Gone Hunting

Wow! its great to see all the helpful hunters on this board.

I started out mu daughter and son into hunting and they both are still involved in it. Son in law has started fishing and would like to hunt and I will do what I can to get him into it.

Then I will be available to mentor any young or older people who want to go hunting for their first time or to get back into it.

I reckon there are some older hunters who do not like going out alone anymore but would keep hunting if they had a younger guy to help them out.

Archery Sept. 1 - Oct. 31 Muzzleloader and Crossbow Oct. 1 - Oct. 31 Rifle Nov. 25 - Nov. 30

...And HIS kingdom shall have no end...
Old 09-22-2010, 03:57 AM

Another bit of advice would be to pick up a copy of the hunting regulations and read it over a couple of times. Also get to no the species of animals you want to hunt, ie. no the difference between a whitetail and a mule deer. Your best bet would be to find a mentor with a few years of experience under his belt.
Old 09-22-2010, 09:23 AM

thats funny, i was talking to a taxidermist about hunting ruffies yesterday and he said its the best way to start off too. I've never ate one but everyone says they are great. girlfriend is getting into it too, but she is taking up the bow hunting side of things. Im just excited to get started. Since the pal is 6-7 weeks or something, i doubt i will make it out this season, unless i go out with someone else. Next season I will be ready though. Gives me the summer to study rifles and get everything ready gear wise. I also grabbed a copy of the hunting regs and am reading through them. lots to remember. Im pretty sure its all going to pay off though once im in the woods