Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-21-2010, 03:56 PM

Default best all purpose duck shot?

Hi, I'd like to know which type and shot size would be ideal, regardless of price. I found some of the steel shot sucks, I've got some great goose shot tungsten-bismuth. anything similar anyone can recommend for duck? Oh and I cant use Federal in my gun.

thanks!
Jen
Old 09-21-2010, 04:13 PM

Winchester 3 shot
Old 09-21-2010, 04:39 PM

For early season I like #4 steel for ducks, and #3 or even #2 as the season progresses - they get much thicker plumage and the shots seem to get longer and longer.

FWIW, stay away from the cheapest steel (i.e. Remington) and use Kent Fasteel or the Win X-pert stuff (I prefer the Kent, but do just as well with the win).

Save the tungsten for long shots on geese and the bismuth for old guns. If you do not shoot at ducks past 35-40 yards then steel will work just fine.
Old 09-21-2010, 04:49 PM

For ducks I use:
Winchester Expert
1550FPS
3”
1-1/8 ounce
I just picked up 2 case of it the other day as our local Co-op had it on sale for $11.49 a box.

What type of gun are using that you can’t use Federal ammunition in? Or better question what sort of issues have you had with it?
For trap shooting that’s all I use anymore. At one time I was a Winchester AA guy, but in the past couple years the Federal Top Gun stuff has served me rather well.

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Benelli, Sako, Beretta, Tikka, Franchi, Burris, & Steiner
Old 09-21-2010, 05:03 PM

Given I hunt where I could get ducks or geese I'd been using Black Cloud #2's in 3 inch out of my Beretta 391 semi. I liked the idea of the wallop they packed, though I did once shoot the hind end right off a duck (literally) that ventured too close when I shot.

However, a few weeks ago they didn't have any black cloud so I picked up a couple boxes of the new Remington HyperSonic Steel (1700 fps!) #2's in 3 inch.

I don't really know how good they are, but I bagged three ducks in a total of 4 shots Sunday morning. Maybe you do that all the time, but you have to understand I was shooting terrible last year and neglected to even go to the range this summer, so that is amazing to me. Maybe it has nothing to do with the shell, but I'm sticking with them for now! My theory is perhaps I wasn't leading enough before, and now with the higher speed the shot is getting there earlier... or maybe it was just luck LOL
Old 09-21-2010, 05:31 PM

My gun is a 1968 Winchester 12 gauge, 2 and 3/4 ....Federal shot ALWAYS jams....I was told some of the old guns by Winchester were designed fir Winchester shells only. However Remingtons work fine. I 've had the gun examined, nothing wrong with it, just the way it is.

I will take a shopping list of your recommendations thanks guys

I have a modified choke, to adapt to steel so I dont shoot anything farther than 30-40 yards.

Jen
Old 09-21-2010, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunnyhunter View Post
Hi, I'd like to know which type and shot size would be ideal, regardless of price. I found some of the steel shot sucks, I've got some great goose shot tungsten-bismuth. anything similar anyone can recommend for duck? Oh and I cant use Federal in my gun.

thanks!
Jen
Well if price is no object then you may want to look into the fairly new Hevi Steel, close to a dollar per shot. But it kills real well. FS
Old 09-21-2010, 10:59 PM

RMM is close

Winchester Expert
1550FPS
2 3/4”

I use that in my Winchester 1400 s/a full choke, not bored out. Apparently it is THE only steel you can shoot out of a full choke.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 09-21-2010, 11:45 PM

I am happiest w/ No. 2 shot, as I have the smallest % of cripples with it. It can be hard on some of the small birds, like teal.

If I know I am going to be shooting at long range (40-70 yards), I go to BBs, because I stock that size anyways for geese. (The larger the shot, the more retained energy at range).

For patterning, I didn't find huge differences between the brands, so I go mainly with Federal - as that is more readily available at the store near my house.
Old 09-21-2010, 11:57 PM
Banned

Default shot

l shoot an old winchester model 2200 , had a few shells jammin up one time , cleaned out the chamber real good and cleaned up my shells with armour all , now all is good , smooth extraction , also use federals , but mostly winchester expert , #4 or 2 , 2 is good for ducks and geese , thats all l keep in my shell belt.
Old 09-22-2010, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadham View Post
I am happiest w/ No. 2 shot, as I have the smallest % of cripples with it. It can be hard on some of the small birds, like teal.

If I know I am going to be shooting at long range (40-70 yards), I go to BBs, because I stock that size anyways for geese. (The larger the shot, the more retained energy at range).
40 - 70 yards is not what steel shot was developed for. This is where the lead substitutes come into play. Tungsten or Bismuth would be something to consider here.

BH...The retained energy in a bigger pellet theory holds true of course but steel slows down at a crazy rate after 40 yards as it is simply too light. The number 1 rule for steel is to shoot the fastest stuff. Speed kills in steel. The number 2 rule is to know the effective range of the shells you are using and stay within it. People that don't do this are usually the ones that complain about how steel cripples and doesn't kill like lead.

Just my opinion of course.