Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-01-2016, 06:51 PM

Default Toy Hauler and Fumes/Smell

I was thinking about getting a toy hauler, just a smaller one (if there is such a thing - to carry a SxS...). I am concerned that if I get one where the SxS sits basically in the living compartment, will the fumes/smell of the machine become a permanent thing? I don't really what gas fumes in the trailer even after the machine is removed.

Is this a concern or not?
Thanks !
Old 08-01-2016, 07:43 PM

I have a 5th with a separate garage and friends have a bumoer pull that is open to the rest of the trailer. We dont smell any fumes in either trailer. If you smell gas fumes then you have a leak that needs to be addressed

Who are you going to blame when all the ohv's are gone and the fish are still dieing
Old 08-03-2016, 10:56 PM

I have one like you described and I smell no fumes. There are ventilation openings to draft air in and out while you drive that you can use if you are concerned.
Old 08-03-2016, 11:59 PM
Banned

Parking a quad in a garage after going through some nasty skeg and even washing it well leaves one nasty flavour for a while. Couldn't imagine having to stay or sleep by it. Trust me, there's some nasty smelling stuff out there you can't wash the stink off
Old 08-04-2016, 12:25 AM

in the toyhaulers he is reffering to, the machine is not in the trailer when you are sleeping.
And I just wash my quad before I put it in the trailer.
http://www.jayco.com/tools/archive/2016-octane/
Old 08-04-2016, 07:38 AM
Banned

after parking in my garage at home I can only imagine how unpleasant the inside of a trailer would smell. It lingers
Old 08-04-2016, 08:59 AM

It don't smell if you just transport your machine in the toy hauler. If you stored it there yes then it would.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-04-2016, 10:13 AM

The smaller toy Haulers may not be able to accommodate a sxs... Just sayin. I'll be in the market for a 25ish foot bumper pull toy hauler for my next trailer (whenever that will be), and the few models that fit the bill have fairly limited space for toys.

Old 08-04-2016, 10:25 AM

yes it is a concern. iv heard that exact problem from many people.
Old 08-05-2016, 08:33 AM

When I bought mine a few years ago I did the same research and asked online about the pros and cons of both. The deciding factor for me were the multiple comments......its not a matter of if but a matter of when the smell of fuel and who knows what other scents will permeate in an enclosed model.

The plus of an enclosed model is out of site out of mind aspect of an enclosed model.

I bought an external Forest River Wolf Pac model where I can load the quad in the front along with quad trailer.

I dont think there is a right or wrong choice just as long as you're comfortable with your decision.
Old 08-05-2016, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mb-MBR View Post
When I bought mine a few years ago I did the same research and asked online about the pros and cons of both. The deciding factor for me were the multiple comments......its not a matter of if but a matter of when the smell of fuel and who knows what other scents will permeate in an enclosed model.

The plus of an enclosed model is out of site out of mind aspect of an enclosed model.

I bought an external Forest River Wolf Pac model where I can load the quad in the front along with quad trailer.

I dont think there is a right or wrong choice just as long as you're comfortable with your decision.
I am surprised there are not more of these models available. It's a very practical middle ground.