Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-21-2016, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Elkster View Post
We need to be weeding those people out proactively and there is no real accurate way to do it selectively other than perhaps a snitch line for friends and family to report certain loved one's. Otherwise you have to look at the average health at a certain age and set an optimum age to start testing. I'm thinking 75 is probably a good medium. Certainly lots of people will hit the wall earlier or drive great well past that age but one has to draw the line somewhere. Some will be put out but c'est la vie. They are retired. They have the time
I like that idea, but then you`ll get the disgruntled son who`s ****ed off at his parents, so calls them in, even if they are competent drivers.
Old 07-21-2016, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artist View Post
Ability is not always determined by age - there are a lot of young'uns who shouldn't be on the road either. Mandatory testing across all age demographics would be the place to start.
That's true, but bad young drivers aren't that way because of medical infirmity or anything that can be tested for. They are that way because they are morons. For their driving test they will be sober and put away their cell phone, so tests for younger people who know how to drive are pretty much a waste of time and money.

I don't know that older people need a "driving" test. Perhaps they should be tested for vision, attention, and reflexes. Those things can be tested for. And perhaps a retest once every couple years after a certain age would make sense. I am nearing retirement and still in good shape, but in the future I wouldn't be averse to spending an hour once every few years getting tested.
Old 08-04-2016, 02:50 PM

I'd like to say there discretion but sometimes not the case
Old 08-04-2016, 02:55 PM

While I'm all for testing every X amount of years for re-certifying driving (I already have to for first aid etc) I can only imagine the uproar and people screaming about how much of a cash grab it is and how they can drive perfectly fine and shouldn't need to be retested.