Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 05-26-2016, 06:30 PM

Default Want to start reloading

I am sure this has been beat to death here but I thought I would go for new information. I am just looking at getting into reloading and was wondering best suggestions for a press and other equipment for a beginner. I don't want to spend a fortune but I don't want crap that will break in a year. To start with, I want to reload 9mm then graduate to .40 and .45. By this winter I am looking at also doing 30-06, 45-70 and .300 winmag. The area I am in has a Cabelas and Wholesale sport as the box stores but with the magic of on-line shopping, I would also be happy to hear any suggestions on better places to look for the equipment and components.

Thanks you in advance for your help as over the years I know there is a large number of knowledgeable and friendly people on this forum willing to help out.
Old 05-26-2016, 06:54 PM

RCBS Rockchucker Kit is a great place to start. See if you can't catch it on sale for an even better deal. Don't forget a Load Data Manual it will be your best friend for reloading.
Old 05-26-2016, 06:56 PM

I just am new into reloading as well, and have aquired a few things in a short period of time.

I bought the lee 50th anniversary breech lock single stage press ($180.00). Overall am very happy with it. And you cannot beat the price. I know they advertise you only need dies and you are set but here are the extras i bought to help get started. I know cabelas has the anniversary turret press for i think $350.00 which would be faster for hand gun rounds but a little more complex to use and more things going on at once to pay attention to. (that being said I have never used one so others can chime in.

1)extra quick change (plug or adapter) kit only came with one i like having one on each die (4 total for my setup)
2) Case length gauge and shell holder for trimming cases (or you buy the quick trim die and accessories (kit does come with quick trim but not the die as caliber specific
3) C-clamp if you do not want to hard mount press or powder measure to bench
4) most important load data manual i have the lyman and lee books very helpful. and probably most important tool

That for me was the bare minimum tool wise that got me going

1) tumbler or something would be nice for cleaning right now i use spray nine in a bucket and a small brush
2) I think a powder trickler would be very hand to have for topping up your load on the scale with out dumping to much in with a scoop

Just a note about the lee kit though I am happy with everything I do not like the scale at all I find with bad eyes it is hard to read the settings and once set it does not stay calibrated. That is for me my friend has same set up and loves his scale and has tried mine with no luck. I recommend the dillion precision eliminator balance beam or rcbs 505 (both around $120-130). Digital scales are nice but more money and I don't want more electronic stuff to deal with in my life.

Some people may not agree with me on the lee kit but it is affordable and easy to use. Sure it may not be as cool or flashy as the green or blue presses but it works.

for online stores i recommend: titan reloading, x-reload, and bullet barn

Cabelas in Edmonton rarely has anything on the shelf, and wholesale is touch and go but usually has better chance of having the little things (dies and accessories) P and D in edmonton is pretty good.

I load 45-70 almost everything has to be purchased online

Last edited by canuck2a; 05-26-2016 at 07:03 PM.
Old 05-26-2016, 07:43 PM

I am also new to reloading. Been at it for a little less than a year. I started getting interested in reloading last spring when I realized that there was absolutely no ammo available for my 45/70. I now load for my .270 and 45/70. I found everything I needed at cabelas and wholesale, at least in terms of tools and dies etc.

Here's a small list of what I bought.

-Lee breach lock challenger press.
-Lee dies in 45/70, and .270 both are 3 die sets.
-Lee 45/70 factory crimp die (I'm shooting a lever action, need a good crimp).
-Mtm digital scale.
-Lyman universal brass trimmer.
-Inexpensive digital caliper (got mine from princess auto).
-Lee auto prime hand held priming tool.
-Frankford Arsenal dry media brass tumbler.(walnut shell media).
-Lee loading manual.
-Miscellaneous tools, chamfer tool, primer pocket cleaner, powder funnel, brass lube. Etc.

I also purchased a subscription to the load data website. They have all kinds of information on different loads. It's like having all the loading manuals on one site!

The biggest trouble I have had, was finding the components that I wanted. Bullets and brass seem to be tough to come across in the box stores. I have purchased about half of my components off of this forum, or other shooting forums. I suggest watching a bunch of videos, and reading as much info as you can before you get into it. By no means am I an expert yet. I know enough to build safe cartridges. But in terms of seating for optimum performance etc. I still have lots to learn! Good luck with your journey! You're going to love it! Very fun way to pass your spare time!
Old 05-26-2016, 07:52 PM

I am new to reloading as well. I was interested in it but was not in a rush so I just watched the buy and sell forum. I got a lot of quality equipment at a fraction of the cost. Hope you enjoy it as much as I do. Good luck!!

Protect the oppressed even if an enemy, never forgive the traitor especially if he is your friend
Old 05-26-2016, 08:17 PM

hey guys,

my buddy started me reloading back in '97. he had the higher end stuff but told me to start with the Lee anniversary kit and said I could upgrade as my income upgraded.., Lol. that's to say, I still use the Lee press and manual primer, Lee, Redding and Rcbs Dies but have since invested in a lyman dps 1200 powder measure the lee zip trimmer and now a Lyman ultimate trimmer,Lyman case prep center, etc. I have to say, depending on what and how indepth you want to go ( i've started bench rest with this set up), I would recommend this kit for sure.
Good luck with your new Hobby and you've come to the right place.
Old 05-26-2016, 08:56 PM

Manuals. Notice I put this right up at the top. The Lee manual is the best bargain and has the most information especially for pressures, but don't just stop there. Get a few more for more loads, info and cross referencing which is always a good idea, especially when working up a new load with unfamiliar components. The Nosler book is pretty good too, and has nice tables in the back for energies and trajectories.

Everyone likes nice clean brass. However I don't own a tumbler and here's why: Not necessary, and it puts lots of lead in the air.

Probably couldn't go wrong if you went all RCBS. For the value though, I like Lee dies, especially the neck sizer (more of a nice to have than a need to have, especially as you can partially resize by backing off a full length re-sizer) and the Factory Crimp. They list their tolerances and work just fine. I like using the trimming guides with a drill and the Lyman de-burring and chamfering tool. For a solid single stage, it would be hard to beat a Rockchucker. I like the Lee Hand Press for a little informal reloading by the TV, too. It would shine at the range for working up a load, too.

I like manual scales, but I find myself using an MTM Case-Guard quite a bit now.

The Lee Hand Primer works well, and is a good way to avoid deep seating a primer with excessive pressure.

Buy carbide dies for straight wall cartridges and make sure you have a case expander if you are planning on shooting lead. For a favourite cartridge just go to the "Super Deluxe" die set.

Any decent micrometer will work fine. I like digital and use a Mastercraft. They go on sale fairly often. I would probably try a Princess Auto one too, if this one quits.

If you are reloading, you probably have some goals you are shooting for. Might be consistency, velocity or both. A good way to take the guess work out of what you are doing is with a basic chronograph. Max load says 2730 fps? Well once you hit that, there you are. Somewhat dependent on bullet, and primer...to simplify it a little. And a nice tripod to set it on.

Survivor of the dread covid
Pureblood!
Old 05-26-2016, 10:31 PM

All good advice.

Sounds like your loading for pistol to start with. Have a look at Dillon 550b press. It a manual index press. You can use like a single stage press or a progressive. It's easy to go through a couple hundred rounds out more of pistol at the range. Having a press that loads faster helps. You don't have to load fast on one to start with, take your time and do one round at a time to learn. You can do rifle on press as well.

Another option is a Lee classic turret press. It is slower as each pull is one operation. Work well but not as good as 550b.

If you are going to do more rifle than pistol then look at a single stage press.

I started with RCBS Rockchucker kit. Will get you started. When I stared shooting pistol I found single stage too slow. Tried the Lee turret and better. Much happier with Dillon.
Old 05-27-2016, 11:01 PM

http://www.canadiangunnutz.com/forum...all-over-again

Especially read the posts by C-fbmi and myself
Old 05-28-2016, 05:20 AM

I bought a Lee hand press so I could develop handloads at the range. processed my brass on a rockchucker and took a can of powder, box of bullets, scale, dies and a few other peripherals to the range. I had no problem with the little press, it made pretty good ammo, and a week or so later found out that it will full length resize brass. it is inexpensive, and useful even after you have outgrown it and moved on to a progressive.
Old 05-28-2016, 06:25 AM

Buy once cry once. Even "expensive" reloading gear really isn't that much money. If you are wanting single stage there is nothing wrong with a rock chucker. If primarily focussed on pistol ammo and fairly high volume the Dillion progressive presses are a good investment. For me anything I can get to save me time is worth the money generally. Never used the Hornady progressive setup but it might not be a terrible way to go either. As far as trimmers I would run either a Redding or Forster, I prefer the Redding for the micrometer adjustment. A case prep Center is money well spent, I've got the Lyman which I really like but the rcbs model is good as well. Oh and a stuck case remover kit is always good to have. I like Redding wax vs oil based case lube. I run one shot lube with the progressive machine.
"I don't know about the "shooting Savages" part. I have one and I have had considerable difficulty doing well with it. Part of the reason for this is that I feel a need to put bag over my head to hide my identity when ever I am shooting it!"
Leeper
Old 05-28-2016, 08:25 AM
Banned

I would avoid any of the aluminum single-stage presses if you plan on loading magnum rifle cartridges.

They just won't last.

While the Rock-Chucker is very good, when I upgraded from my old RCBS Junior "O" press, I bought the Redding Boss.

It's basically an upgraded version of a Rock-Chucker, and I never regretted choosing it. The swing arms are heavy steel bars rather than cast iron.

I think that Redding makes the best powder measures as well. All cast iron and steel and very precise. I bought one of these as well, and am very pleased. It will outlive me.

I think that buying cheap is a mistake. You will just end up upgrading, so buy something that you can bolt to your bench for twenty years, and not replace.

On the other hand, I use Lee products a lot as well. The hand priming tool is fast and reliable and durable. Press-priming is incredibly slow and a waste of time.

The Lee hand case trimmers work well too, and can be chucked in a drill for faster operation.

The Lee primer pocket cleaner, likewise.

I use an old-school Lyman beam balance scale. Very accurate, but a bit slow.

But then, I just use it to set up the powder measure.

If you opt for one of these, I recommend keeping it stored in it's styrofoam box, to protect it from damage. They are delicate, and the agate bearings could get chipped from vibration and pounding on the bench if the beam is not lifted.

Set-up takes only a couple of minutes though, and you only need it at the beginning of case charging, unless you are weighing every charge for precision.

Loading manuals are indeed essential, as well.
Old 05-28-2016, 04:46 PM

Thanks Guys, I appreciate all the responses. I definately have somewhere to start now!!!
Old 05-28-2016, 04:59 PM

Check out Prophit Rivers deal on RCBS kit.
Old 05-28-2016, 04:59 PM
Banned

I have the Lee 50th kit and I do like it. I am using most of what it came with. I have gone to a digital scale and the individual case trimmers.
I like the kit but I am going to be looking at another press. Something a little bit easier with less set up every time I want to reload, such as a turret press. As well as something that has a little bit more leverage to it to make it easier to work.
Old 05-28-2016, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottmisfits View Post
I have the Lee 50th kit and I do like it. I am using most of what it came with. I have gone to a digital scale and the individual case trimmers.
I like the kit but I am going to be looking at another press. Something a little bit easier with less set up every time I want to reload, such as a turret press. As well as something that has a little bit more leverage to it to make it easier to work.
Get a Redding T7, that is one awesome press!
"I don't know about the "shooting Savages" part. I have one and I have had considerable difficulty doing well with it. Part of the reason for this is that I feel a need to put bag over my head to hide my identity when ever I am shooting it!"
Leeper
Old 05-28-2016, 07:04 PM

I picked up the Hornady Lock and Load Kit a number of years back. Cost me $400 and I got 500 bullets with it. It's over $500 now but often will go on sale at NorthProSports in Saskatoon (like right now at $477). The press is very nice and the bushing setup is real slick. I have upgraded the scale to a Electronic RCBS but the rest of the kit is pretty darn good. The powder measure is all right but not perfect but no big deal as I weigh every load anyway. The hand priming tool is super! For the price and the $200 worth of bullets you really cannot go wrong. As an aside, I have also purchased a Lyman tumbler, Lyman case trimmer and a cabelas caliper. I use all major brands of dies and really don't notice any difference in regards to accuracy. Good luck and have fun with the new "addiction".
Old 05-29-2016, 11:41 AM

Strikes me as you will likely wind up wanting two presses, a progressive for the pistol rounds, and a single stage for the rifle rounds. You can run rifle rounds on a progressive, but, with the number of cartridges you want to do, you could find yourself spending a lot of time setting up, to change cartridges. Which may not be practical for small batches. Look carefully at what it takes to set them up and what accessories you need to buy, to do it for each cartridge. Finding someone in the area, who is set up with both, would help you immensely, to see what is what on that. Either setup, requires the same steps to process a cartridge to a finished product, and you need to learn the peculiarities of each step one at a time.
Most reloading component mfgrs have info online for reloading, the one thing they do not have on their sites, are the procedures, those are best picked up by reading reloading manuals, which will also give you a fallback reference, when you make a mistake, to help figure out how you foobarred it. No one manual has it all, each one has some different stuff in it. Acquire as many as you can. Start with the bullet mfgrs.
Old 05-29-2016, 05:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32-40win View Post
Strikes me as you will likely wind up wanting two presses, a progressive for the pistol rounds, and a single stage for the rifle rounds. You can run rifle rounds on a progressive, but, with the number of cartridges you want to do, you could find yourself spending a lot of time setting up, to change cartridges. Which may not be practical for small batches. Look carefully at what it takes to set them up and what accessories you need to buy, to do it for each cartridge. Finding someone in the area, who is set up with both, would help you immensely, to see what is what on that. Either setup, requires the same steps to process a cartridge to a finished product, and you need to learn the peculiarities of each step one at a time.
Most reloading component mfgrs have info online for reloading, the one thing they do not have on their sites, are the procedures, those are best picked up by reading reloading manuals, which will also give you a fallback reference, when you make a mistake, to help figure out how you foobarred it. No one manual has it all, each one has some different stuff in it. Acquire as many as you can. Start with the bullet mfgrs.
I think that you are right about needing two presses, if you load for rifle and also for semi-auto pistol.

Many auto pistol users frequently go through many rounds, which is why they reload. A press to load 9mm, .40 cal., or .45 ACP, doesn't need the beef and leverage for full-length resizing that rifle cartridges do. What it does need is the ability to crank out rounds more quickly.

A progressive might be essential.

For rifle and revolver shooting however, you probably aren't going through more than 40 rounds of rifle and 100 rounds of revolver cartridges in a session at the range. Also, you probably will be interested in experimenting with different loads for these, where you might just be cranking out the same loads all of the time for auto pistol shooting.

As for manuals, I think that you are spot on. Too often one manual won't show your favorite powder or bullet while another will.

Sometimes, older manuals will show older powders that are still around that you may want to use, or older cast bullets, but the newer manuals will ignore these powders and bullets entirely.

The Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook will show only cast bullet loads, where some manuals show little of these. Also, this manual contains a wealth of information about bullet casting in general.
Old 05-29-2016, 06:51 PM

I was not so much referring to the load data, as to reloading how-to's in the manuals. That is something you don't get from the component supplier's websites. There again, Hornady and Sierra pretty much make you buy their manuals. And with reading the various manuals, each one has at least one or two things the other ones do not have, once again referring to the loading processes. And with looking at multiple sources of load data, you can compare and learn about, what powders are most likely to work best for you, in a given cartridge. Also, what ones won't work "across the board" like some folk would want them to do, to keep down the inventory and cost, depending on what cartridges you are loading, that just isn't going to happen.
Old 05-30-2016, 04:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32-40win View Post
I was not so much referring to the load data, as to reloading how-to's in the manuals. That is something you don't get from the component supplier's websites. There again, Hornady and Sierra pretty much make you buy their manuals. And with reading the various manuals, each one has at least one or two things the other ones do not have, once again referring to the loading processes. And with looking at multiple sources of load data, you can compare and learn about, what powders are most likely to work best for you, in a given cartridge. Also, what ones won't work for many clike some folk would want them to do, to keep down the inventory and cost, depending on what cartridges you are loading, that just isn't going to happen.
All very true. You can't find everything by Googling it or watching You-Tube videos (but there is good stuff there).

Having multiple reloading manuals allows you to cross-reference information and load data, which helps you interpolate and make decisions.

If you wanted to make one powder work for several cartridges and wondered if one manual lacked data to support this because it would not work, checking two or three other manuals would show whether this was true, or if it was simply the preferences of the persons who created the load data in that one particular manual.

Older manuals can be picked up cheap at gun shows, and while some of the information and powders used in them may be discontinued or obsolete, there is often still good information and data to be mined from them. If you load older cartridges, you might find load data and reloading wisdom there that isn't in the newer manuals.