Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 05-11-2016, 05:25 PM

Default Sticky 1100

I'm sorry guys. I'm sure everyone that's been around has already heard this but I'm relatively new. I'm looking for a gun smith in the Alberta area that has good experience dealing with cycling problems with the Remington 1100. Kinda at my wits end with it and unfortunately it's the favourite shotgun of my kids so I'd like to get it working. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 05-11-2016, 05:37 PM

Can you expand on this? Fail to eject? Fail to feed? Did you clean it? Change the gas ring?
Old 05-11-2016, 05:41 PM

Note if the barrel is a 3 inch chamber it will not cycle standard 2 3/4 inch ammo . occasionally you will get lucky and they will cycle heavy magnum 2 3/ 4 loads .

Most cycling problems are due to dirty or gas seal no good .
Make sure piston seals are installed properly.
Use good ammo.
Old 05-11-2016, 08:25 PM

It was cleaned. I can get five shells through it than it starts messing up. It ejects the shell but the gate gets seems to stick partway up. If you stick a key up the left side of the gate everything slides into place and it will fire again with a fifty fifty chance of cycling the next shell or repeating the same problem. New gas and o ring. The new gas ring is a different style than the old ones but all they sell now according to WPG. I did have a factory three inch barrel on it but changed it to a 2 3/4 skeet barrel. Worked fine for over a hundred rounds before problem started. Tried the old barrel again and only made problem worse. Assuming be because the old barrel was single hole and skeet barrel was two hole. It was in at a gun smith in Edmonton be because when all this started the feed latch came loose. Had it restaked and checked out. He figured it should be fine. Oops.
Old 05-11-2016, 09:06 PM

From what you said the issue occurs when going back into battery. If you single load it, does it still hang up?
Old 05-11-2016, 09:11 PM

Always ejects single shell. Two shells is hit or miss if it works after it warms up
Old 05-11-2016, 09:13 PM

Did you disassemble the mag tube by removing the spring and follower and clean that?
Old 05-11-2016, 09:17 PM

Yes. Also been done. Was quite dirty. Took cleaner and cloth and wound down the spring. Tube was throughly cleaned.
Old 05-11-2016, 09:53 PM

The two tines I have had issues with an 1100 was traced to the barrels themselves - the gas vents were dirty on one snd the was find crud in the barrel band on another .
Cat
Old 05-12-2016, 05:38 AM

Thanks to e everyone for the help. Had taken a air cleaner to the vent holes before but took a drill bit and pipe cleaner to the holes last night. Was surprised at how much crud was still in the holes of both barrels. Going to try and get it out this weekend and hoping for the best.
Old 05-12-2016, 12:39 PM

Have you removed the butt stock and spring assembly that pushes the breech block forward? Over time that tube collects a lot of dirty lube spray and crud such that friction reduces the forward pressure that closes the breech. When I shot a lot of skeet with 1100's i had to do that cleaning annually. Be sure to replace the tuning-fork link right side up when re-assembling.
Old 05-12-2016, 02:45 PM

Sounds like the follower latch . Pin bent or spring broken . May also be carrier dog .
Old 05-23-2016, 07:12 PM

For anybody curious, it turned out to be a loose extractor latch. Retaining clip wasn't set right. Took the latch out. Put a touch of a bend in it. Reset the clip. Fifty rounds through it without a hiccup. Latch was loose enough that the gate was catching the tail of the latch. Now its pumping through 2 3/4 inch target shells great. Thanks for everyone's help.
Old 05-30-2016, 10:58 AM

2 3/4 shells will and have always cycled fine in any Rem 1100 I have owned or been around in the field. They MAY need a cleaning more often than 3 in but to say they " will not cycle " is bunk. Maybe you were using cheap no-name shells but I've never seen a problem.