Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 05-23-2016, 08:39 PM

Default 6.5 creedmoor vs 308

Im planning on picking up a ruger precision tactical but am not sure which calibre too buy. As far as i can tell the 6.5 is the better round but the 308 would be much easier to come by. Thought i would put up a post and see what y'all think may be the best way to go with this one.
Cheers!
"the tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants.it is it's natural manure"
Old 05-23-2016, 08:56 PM

When I inquired about the 6.5 creedmoor, I was told the same thing from almost everyone, the common answer was unless I like to make my own rounds that another round would be more suitable, the .308 is a great round, used by precision shooters, and snipers all over the world! I once saw a guy in a wholesale sports almost snap in half because he bought a 6.5 creedmoor, and couldn't get rounds for it. Your rifle will only be as accurate as you are, and both rounds have great sub moa capability. Let us know what you go with. I chose my .270 over the creedmoor, because of round availability, and I do not regret it!
Old 05-23-2016, 09:09 PM

I shoot 308 and have done so out to just under 1000m, definitely stretching it's limits at that point for me. 800m and under its a good performer. Have no experience with the 6.5 .

Seems harder to find brass for the 6.5. Definitely has better ballistics but that all depends on how far your going to shoot. 800m and further all the time 6.5 would probably be better.

308 components are plentiful.

What about 243? Still has good ballistics and brass should be easy to find.
Old 05-23-2016, 09:16 PM

260 Improved gets my vote over the Creedmore

LC
Old 05-24-2016, 08:19 AM

I'll add my $0.002. I have an RPR in 308, and was torn between buying the 6.5 creedmoor or this one. I started researching the availability of components, mainly brass, in addition to loaded ammo, and found that it is not easy to come by.

My range goes out to 500m max, and while I can hit the gong there, I need to work more on my abilities, and am not handicapped by the rifle. Playing in this <500m range, the 308 is more than adequate. Availability of parts and ammo is better.

I figure if the supply of components/ammo improved, I can always pickup a creemoor barrel and easily rebarrel the rifle.
Old 05-24-2016, 08:59 AM

Default My creedmoor

I've had my creedmoor going on 3 years now, I love it and have had little issue finding components. At the beginning I thought my only method to shoot would be reloading so that's when I decided to learn. From the beginning the only trouble I had finding anything was powder and that has little to do with me having a creedmoor it was popular and everyone was looking for it.
If you don't have to have it now and can wait week or 3 everything is attainable without to too much work.
Most of the reloading components, bullets etc were via flys etc and same for powder.

Eventually I found the factory loads impressive for the creedmoor and have gone back to them with the new eld-x loads. Works great with my rifle.
Old 05-24-2016, 09:24 AM

I have the RPR in 6.5 Creedmoor and I did find it hard to locate brass. I reload though, now that I've found brass I should be good for awhile. As for accuracy goes on this rifle I shot a great 10 shot grouping several weeks ago. This rifle shoots amazing all day long if you do your part.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (27.1 KB, 92 views)
Old 05-24-2016, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duster243 View Post
I have the RPR in 6.5 Creedmoor and I did find it hard to locate brass. I reload though, now that I've found brass I should be good for awhile. As for accuracy goes on this rifle I shot a great 10 shot grouping several weeks ago. This rifle shoots amazing all day long if you do your part.
Wow, exceptional shooting, I might have to have a peak at one of these Ruger precisions!!!
Old 05-24-2016, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by morinj View Post
Wow, exceptional shooting, I might have to have a peak at one of these Ruger precisions!!!
Thanks! Ya I highly recommend the rifle.
Old 05-25-2016, 07:27 AM

If you reload, the 6.5 is the ballistically superior round. If you buy factory ammo, the 308 is the way to go. Ammo is cheap and plentiful, and that's worth a LOT. After all, being able to practice lots is what makes you a good long range shooter. A good shooter will do way more with a 308 than many guys shooting the 6.5.
Old 05-27-2016, 06:54 PM

Default thanks

Hey ever one just wanted to say thanks for taking the time to help me out with my decision. As of now still not 100% sure on the cal but think it will be the 308.
Thanks again and take care.
Old 05-27-2016, 07:54 PM

I am currently having a Creedmoor built and I found a pile of Hornady Precision Hunter ammunition loaded with the 143gr ELD-X so I bought 6 boxes. Hopefully they shoot well and if not I will at least have 120 brass once I'm through.
Looking forward to playing with the 6.5 Creedmoor calibre!