Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

View Poll Results: Have you fallen through the ice?
YES 120 40.68%
NO 175 59.32%
Voters: 295. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-09-2013, 06:42 PM

I didnt expect that so many have gone through the ice.
Old 01-09-2013, 09:34 PM

Me too, and it may be even closer to 50/50, but some people who did can't write about it...
Old 01-10-2013, 07:50 AM

Never fishing...while working I fell into the Pembina River in February, - 35 out. Almost swept under the ice when my waders filled with water. Easily could of died. Boss sent me by myself to the truck to get more clothes. Waders froze to my legs and took most of the hair off while walking. Had no clothes in the truck so drove into Edson. Just as I was leaving I could hear the hiss of two tires going flat. I just drove hard for Edson...pulled into the nearest tire store and shivered uncontrollable while the tires got fixed. Drove to the motel, changed clothes and worked the rest of the day.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:16 AM

Default Deep Flood Ice

A long long time ago , in a Land far , far away....( cool original story start )

We were going with 4 snow sleds about 40 miles ( I said it was in the olden days ....East from Pointe du Bois ( on the Winnipeg River In manitoba )
Through the bush and across one lake , then bush , then lake ....etc etc
While crossing George Lake , a large deep lake trout lake ,we encountered some slush , normal but instead of driving out of it ,the surface water got
deeper about 3 ft. . There we were 3 sleds in the water , pitch black ,trying to push our sleds out .we were pulling 2 aluminum sleds , they floated, good thing . After much freaking out we got all the sleds out in shallower water ..
Two machines started , those old 1 lung Yammies were great.
Oh ya it was -20 F , we made our way to the nearest shore ,chainsawed
down a bunch of jack pine , made an enormous fire against a granite wall
Dried stuff out , and continued along the shore for a weekend of trout fishing. We stuck to the shorelines after that....I learned a valuable lesson
it is always important in these situations to have the right first aid equipment
and medicinals xxx .
Old 01-10-2013, 11:40 AM

When I was around 12 I had decided to do some spring fishing on the Bow in Calgary. I was trying to cast out to an open lead but couldn't. So I started to walk out. I fell through but managed to put my arms out and caught the edge. Luckily the current was so strong that I was able to kinda roll onto the ice. Got on the bus with wet clothes, and by the time I got home they were frozen. Lied to my mother and said I got wet from tobogganing.
Old 01-10-2013, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikanit View Post
When I was around 12 I had decided to do some spring fishing on the Bow in Calgary. I was trying to cast out to an open lead but couldn't. So I started to walk out. I fell through but managed to put my arms out and caught the edge. Luckily the current was so strong that I was able to kinda roll onto the ice. Got on the bus with wet clothes, and by the time I got home they were frozen. Lied to my mother and said I got wet from tobogganing.
well if you told her it was tobogganing, what happened to the fishing rod?
Old 01-10-2013, 01:00 PM

I might take some heat for the story of falling through the ice but hey the dog is part of the family.

We were walking the dogs down by the NSR the chocolate lab would run off and come back and run off and come back. All of a sudden I hear a blood curdling howl from the dog. Myself and the wife go running down the hill what we see is not good. There is about 25' of ice and than open water. It appears the dog ran out on the ice and slid off into the water. He was trying to pull himself up on the ice but could not get up. Anyway the wife starts to try and run out onto the ice I yell at her to stop (thank god). I belly crawl out onto the ice watching the dog fighting to stay up the whole time. Get to the edge and pull him up (thankfully he wears a harness if it was just a collar i would not have gotten him up). Anyway I belly crawl back to the bank about 5' before the bank I fall through the soft spot completly soaked but was able to get up on the bank. Was a very cold walk back to the truck and watching the dog play like nothing happen not impressed lol.
Old 01-10-2013, 01:16 PM

I was out a week ago by myself on the ice for some icefishing on my day of from work and i got througe the ice after only 2 hours fishing Im pretty lucky cuz two weeks ago i bought a new lifesuit

third time this year by the way
Old 01-10-2013, 06:38 PM

Default Fell in a beaver run

Hi: Not proud of this but if it saves a life...

It was about -20 C. Crossing a beaver dam and decided to walk on the ice next to dam...because it was easy walking, right!? I saw the run and thought...naaaa! I'm good!

Lucky the rifle arrested the decent through the ice, by lodging under my armpits and chin. It hung me up on the ice. My feet never touched bottom. I struggled out of the water and walked the mile back to the truck.

I was walking in cardboard-frozen clothing by time I got to the truck. Found the hidden key under the bumper. Thank you, Thank you!

I had dry clothes in the truck, so I sat in the warm truck drying out.

10 point 140 class whitetail walks out in front of the truck about 15 minutes before last light. Rifle still frozen solid.

Lived to tell about it.

Hoopi
Old 01-10-2013, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportHuntingHelp View Post
I might take some heat for the story of falling through the ice but hey the dog is part of the family.

We were walking the dogs down by the NSR the chocolate lab would run off and come back and run off and come back. All of a sudden I hear a blood curdling howl from the dog. Myself and the wife go running down the hill what we see is not good. There is about 25' of ice and than open water. It appears the dog ran out on the ice and slid off into the water. He was trying to pull himself up on the ice but could not get up. Anyway the wife starts to try and run out onto the ice I yell at her to stop (thank god). I belly crawl out onto the ice watching the dog fighting to stay up the whole time. Get to the edge and pull him up (thankfully he wears a harness if it was just a collar i would not have gotten him up). Anyway I belly crawl back to the bank about 5' before the bank I fall through the soft spot completly soaked but was able to get up on the bank. Was a very cold walk back to the truck and watching the dog play like nothing happen not impressed lol.
many have lost their lives trying to rescue dogs.
Old 01-11-2013, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishingMOM View Post
many have lost their lives trying to rescue dogs.
You are right without a doubt. I would do it again though he is family.
Old 01-11-2013, 07:48 AM

Trying to help a neighbor. It was a costly adventure!

"I find it interesting that some folk will pay to use a range, use a golf course, use a garage bay but think landowners should have to give permission for free. Do these same people think hookers should be treated like landowners?" pitw
Old 01-11-2013, 09:27 AM

Yup, I went through earlier this season

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 01-11-2013, 01:38 PM

this is a good video to watch !! self recue /education
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysnKtuUTt8k
Old 01-11-2013, 04:21 PM

Iv never been through the ice ever but today I went through twice on my quad.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 01-11-2013, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Hunter7 View Post

[IMG][/IMG]
where is this!
Old 01-11-2013, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Hunter7 View Post
Were you playing on Sylvan lake today>?>
Old 01-11-2013, 10:56 PM

Talking

9 years ago East pit lake i was trout fishing with my brother and and is son ,walking across the lake i went trough up to my chest my body went numb instantly ,thank god my nefew pulled me out,built a big fire on the shore line ,,now i dont trust a frozen lake i dont no any thing about.
Old 01-12-2013, 01:21 AM
Gone Hunting

I take it that the question is about more then getting a boot full.

That being the case I would have to say, never have. But I've witnessed a couple, enough to make me very very cautious around ice.

Saw my brother go through on a beaver pond, without my help he would have died right there. By the time he got out his clothes were too frozen for him to be able to do anything except walk slowly. He couldn't even pull the starter rope on the Ski Doo. We were ten miles from the cabin, so I had to build a fire and thaw him out. He couldn't even hang on to the Ski Doo for the ride back to the cabin, until I thawed him out and dried his clothes.
Old 01-12-2013, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishingMOM View Post
well if you told her it was tobogganing, what happened to the fishing rod?
I stashed it out in the shed where I always kept it

When I finally did tell my mother a few years back, she got just as angry as if it had happened yesterday and I was 12 again. I just laughed at her and told her, "You don't even know half the stuff us kids did". And a good thing for my mom too....raising 5 hellions on her own.
Old 01-12-2013, 09:00 AM

never fell through the ice but had some close calls on spray in the very end of the season on rotten ice but just managed to get off without going through with ice if you spend enough time on or aroung it you probably will fall through sooner or later

"Theirs a fine Line between fishing and standing on the shore like a dummy" - steven