Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 11-20-2011, 12:08 PM

Default Rapala power auger? Lets talk augers

Since everyone is probably firing up their augers waiting for hardwater, I thought I'd see what the word on the street is about this one... Anyone heard anything about this machine? I see it's manufactured by husqvarna, so should be pretty reliable, but its a 1.25 horse powerhead. Seems a bit undermuscled.....I have a 49cc. 10 yr. old Eskimo pirahna that wont die, and never lets me down, but I do note the new products. What machine do you have that doesn't quit??...... or one that constantly refuses to find water.....Thoughts????
Old 11-20-2011, 12:22 PM

Where did you hear they were manufactured by husqvarna. The only models I've seen have viper engines and just seem to be re-labled eskimos, as the viper engines are manufactured specifically for ardisam, eskimo's parent company.
Old 11-20-2011, 12:24 PM

Was just lookin at specs on the Rapala Canada site

http://www.rapala.ca/products/icefishing/ice_drill.php
Old 11-20-2011, 12:27 PM
Banned

I have had a Jiffy model 31 since 1997 and the auger is still running. I got a carb job done on it a few years ago.
I have used the Rapala auger and the weight difference is substantial, I will be looking at one if the Jiffy ever dies. It drills a bit slower but on 24-30 inch ice it is only a few seconds.
Lots of good augers out there now, the Jiffy propane model and the Strikemaster 4 stroke also look interesting.
Old 11-20-2011, 12:29 PM

I forgot about that model they have sold in past years. All the new models I've seen out this year are made by eskimo.
Old 11-20-2011, 01:30 PM

I see on Rapalas website the copyright date says 2008, do they have a newer site and abandoned this one? i still see husqvarna as the engine maker. where is the viper engine listed?
Old 11-20-2011, 01:41 PM

I'ts the models I've seen in stores this year that have viper engines and the same specs as eskimo augers.
Old 11-20-2011, 03:26 PM

I run a strikemaster mag 2000 because it was pretty light and on clearance at wholesale a few years ago. It has never let me down and drills hundreds of holes every year.

My buddy has the strikemaster 4 stroke auger and it cuts pretty fast and is pretty quiet. Weight is pretty similar to mine.

My other buddy has an eskimo and it seems to be a pretty nice auger other then the weight of it. I wouldn't want to lug that thing around all day if I am on the hunt for walleyes and perch.
Old 11-20-2011, 03:28 PM

I bought a cheap power auger once........ 6 weeks later I bought a Stealth STX and its been kicking ice for 5 years now without a hiccup.
Old 11-20-2011, 04:08 PM

I had a Jiffy 76 for years. It threw a bearing a couple of years ago so I got a stealth stx to replace it. It's way heavier but the darn thing eats ice like a laser. It was probably the also one in the city with the tecumseh (sp) motor.

On a side note....how are those newer, "plasticy" augers working out? You, the ones with the plastic throttle grip, motorshroud, etc.... I was always hesitant to look at those, thinking they would become brittle in the -30 and beyond weather.
Old 11-20-2011, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragweed View Post
I had a Jiffy 76 for years. It threw a bearing a couple of years ago so I got a stealth stx to replace it. It's way heavier but the darn thing eats ice like a laser. It was probably the also one in the city with the tecumseh (sp) motor.

On a side note....how are those newer, "plasticy" augers working out? You, the ones with the plastic throttle grip, motorshroud, etc.... I was always hesitant to look at those, thinking they would become brittle in the -30 and beyond weather.
I think you are talking about the strikemasters with the plastic handles.

I have had mine for 3 going on 4 years and haven't had a problem with it yet. I was a little scared they might break but so far so good I am pretty hard on my gear.
Old 11-20-2011, 05:02 PM

Good to know. I always know folks looking to purchase.
Old 11-21-2011, 12:07 AM

was looking at husky shop west edmonton and the normark(rapala) sure looks like the stihl ice auger. was a few years ago, but pretty sure they the same
Old 11-21-2011, 12:52 AM

Not to shure about there augers, but as of a couple years ago, Poulan has been making there smaller saws, hence why you can now get a Husqvarna at Canadian tire. There larger XP saws are still made in Swedin. I personally would be leary of them without some reserch on the engine manifacture.
Old 11-21-2011, 11:10 AM

Default Jiffy Pro 4

I have the Jiffy Pro 4 propane auger, starts excellent in 20 below weather and has lots of power to cut through even the thickest of ice (Had at badger Derby last year 3-4ft of ice and 20-30 below) worked awsome. The only issue I see with this auger being a 4 stroke that is has to be layed in only 1 direction with spark plug up or the oil will migrate out the vent tube and get everywhere. Overall 9/10 on this auger..Also really quite and smokeless.
Old 11-21-2011, 11:28 AM

Default tml ice auger

Bought this one used off of a widow and promised her it would be greatly appreciated. Its from the 80's and can chew through 2' in about 10 seconds. The only thing is to always have sharp blades and hang on
Old 11-21-2011, 12:36 PM

I owned a jiffy. I now have a Husqvarna (in 10") going on 4th season now. The Husky has a Mora auger on it. Let just say I'll never need to buy another auger after buying the Husky. Awesome machine. Worth the $.
Old 11-21-2011, 02:58 PM

Glad to hear a good review about the Jiffy propane edition. I was quite curious on how that may perform. Ever any issues with cylinders icing up?? Think that could be a slight downfall perhaps. My buddy wants to buy some rechargable unit ( not sure which manufacturer) I'm all for the go green, but I can't see him being happy with it. A single charge could only kick 3ft of ice for so many holes I'm sure. Someone please tell me it's crap so I can tell him someone else thinks that too!!!
Old 11-21-2011, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOT1! View Post
Glad to hear a good review about the Jiffy propane edition. I was quite curious on how that may perform. Ever any issues with cylinders icing up?? Think that could be a slight downfall perhaps. My buddy wants to buy some rechargable unit ( not sure which manufacturer) I'm all for the go green, but I can't see him being happy with it. A single charge could only kick 3ft of ice for so many holes I'm sure. Someone please tell me it's crap so I can tell him someone else thinks that too!!!

If its the ice gator.... They are great! Not fast cutting but I went out with one guy that had one and we drilled about 30-40 holes in the day and it still cut just as fast as the 1st hole of the day. This was on about 2 ft of ice.
Old 12-02-2011, 05:42 PM

If anyone is interested, canadian tire has a rapala auger which I believe is the clone of the eskimo mako on for $249 this week.
Old 12-29-2012, 10:39 AM

Default Jiffy till death due us part

Recieved my first power auger 24 years ago as a present from my new bride on our first Christmas together. It was a Jiffy model 30 with 10" bit. That auger has drilled kms of holes literally even with added extensions. I have ALWAYS mixed around 50:1 even with a dash of octane boost at times. I use ProMa fuel stabalizer in all my gas and diesel engines faithfully. Changed 1 spark plug because someone told me in the beginning that you MUST only run 24:1, A few years back was hoping it would die so as to buy a fancy looking Stealth STX. No luck to date, she's still cutting holes(auger) and I'm still married to that same woman...I'm searching for a Techumseh Stealth for when the time comes to part, stay posted as to see which one last longer "the auger or our marraige" lol.
Old 12-29-2012, 11:51 AM
Banned

I have the Rapala Nitro Auger, no issues in 1.5 season so far. Runs good.
Old 01-09-2013, 07:42 PM

I have an electric 12v one I made with a wheelchair motor. I either carry a booster pack or use the truck battery, and its flawless

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 01-09-2013, 09:50 PM

My rapala auger works great, drills holes pretty fast and i havent had any trouble with it yet.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:12 AM

I have had a Nils Master 8" since 1985. Usually flashes up on the first pull, second pull for sure. It has a 30cc.Tanaka engine on it, and has been fueled with Shell premium & Opti2 from day one. It will dig holes almost 2 to 1 over a Jiffy or Eskimo. The weight is 23 lbs.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:06 PM

Default Normark-Rapala Auger

My buddy and I bought our Normark 10" with our Ralphbucks back in 2006 and it has run like a Swiss watch ever since. This year I broke down and put a new spark plug in it but that is all we have done, except replace dull blades once. From day 1 it has started easily in the coldest weather. Also total weight is only 28 lb - most competitors advertise only the weight of the power head. I can't speak for others but although they aren't inexpensive, I would buy another if ever I lost this one. I have another friend who has an 8" version and he feels the same after 3 years with his. Mine has Husquvarna engine but can't speak for my buddy's 8".

Last edited by BPman; 01-10-2013 at 11:22 PM. Reason: add info