Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 11-26-2012, 11:50 PM

Default Cold Lake Fly Fishing

Now i know this might just be me blabbing randomly. But does anyone ever get the chance to target the lakers when they move into the shallows? I know its a gigantic lake and locations might be hard, and by no means am i looking for how/to, or getting specific. Just curious if anyone does it. From what i've seen in the regs, it would be strictly C&R during the time frame sept-oct. Which is when the fish would be target able by fly fishers.

Anywho, just something i've been wondering for a while.
Old 11-27-2012, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhflyfisher View Post
Now i know this might just be me blabbing randomly. But does anyone ever get the chance to target the lakers when they move into the shallows? I know its a gigantic lake and locations might be hard, and by no means am i looking for how/to, or getting specific. Just curious if anyone does it. From what i've seen in the regs, it would be strictly C&R during the time frame sept-oct. Which is when the fish would be target able by fly fishers.

Anywho, just something i've been wondering for a while.
The lakers in cold lake actually spawn between 25 and 60 feet, depending on which location they're at.
Imo, you're best time to target them with a fly is right after ice-out. This is the only time of year I have found them in the shallows at that lake.
Old 11-27-2012, 06:13 PM

Have caught them at Pierce Lake early June. Sinking line and basically trolled a big, weighted bucktail (White and Blue or White and Chartreuse). Should work at Cold as soon as the season opens.

Fast troll and pulsate constantly (aka The Maligne Lake Thunk).
Old 11-27-2012, 08:13 PM
Banned

Think Medley River.
Old 12-16-2012, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greylynx View Post
Think Medley River.
I haven't heard of them going up the Medley, but there is a sandy beach at the mouth of the river that I have fished off for them, but so far haven't caught a laker on the fly there, but I had a couple interested swirls behind the fly from something (probably pike).

But I think it would be possible late in the evening or early morning, as I have caught lakers in the shallows at dusk when I was in Labrador
Old 12-16-2012, 01:27 PM
Banned

Gilbert

About the time when Maple Flag starts, the deep the area off of Medley has a low Dissolved O2 content. The Medley Water seems to stratify under the candling ice before the lake is turning over. The Medley water has higher O2 content.

The higher O2 content brings all kinds of fish in the area. Big and Small.

I am not sure what happens after fall turnover. I would imagine a reversal of the process.
Old 12-30-2012, 04:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBintheNorth View Post
The lakers in cold lake actually spawn between 25 and 60 feet, depending on which location they're at.
Imo, you're best time to target them with a fly is right after ice-out. This is the only time of year I have found them in the shallows at that lake.
Haven't pursued them in the fall but chased them with the fly rod in the spring. Pretty cool site fishing to them. It was frustrating at first as I was throwing big gaudy/rabbit strip type flies and lots of trout would chase (as lake trout do) but no takers. Once I clued in that they were hitting smaller forage (spot-tail shiners) I started fishing smaller flies...

And for the record I have hooked lakers in 75 feet of water. Type 6 with a 900 grain shooting head...nuff said! Let them see it and then take it away as fast as possible!
Old 12-30-2012, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskfly View Post
Haven't pursued them in the fall but chased them with the fly rod in the spring. Pretty cool site fishing to them. It was frustrating at first as I was throwing big gaudy/rabbit strip type flies and lots of trout would chase (as lake trout do) but no takers. Once I clued in that they were hitting smaller forage (spot-tail shiners) I started fishing smaller flies...

And for the record I have hooked lakers in 75 feet of water. Type 6 with a 900 grain shooting head...nuff said! Let them see it and then take it away as fast as possible!
900 grains!!!! That's what I like to hear.. Git'r done