Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 12-19-2012, 01:49 PM

Default Amundson Top Fly Combo

Hey Guys
The local TFH has these on sale, looks like a nice package. Will be my first, however I don't want to get an el cheapo I'll want to upgrade immediately. I'll plan to get a second spool for sinking line. Any thoughts on it?
Tim
Old 12-19-2012, 02:26 PM

I have a buddy that has this setup and he loves it. It's probably one of the best beginner set ups they have out there. Only thing is the line; it seems to wear down a little fast.
To be honest I would get that setup if I were in your position. Then in a few years you could upgrade and get something a little nicer! Good on you for taking up the best form of fishing out there! Some of us may be elitist, but we sure have fun.
Old 12-19-2012, 02:37 PM

While i know some people like the setup, i myself try and direct people to not buy a pre made combo as their first set up. I dont enjoy amundson products myself, but to his or her their own... You have plenty of time to wait until opener things start to open up. Snoop around on kijiji and on here for things.

You do NOT want to have a sub par line for your first bit, it will drive you nuts, besides, if a good line is maintained it can last multiple years.

I have a buddy who may be selling a St croix imperial 9' 6wt rod, and g loomis venture56 reel and spool for not very much and it is a very solid setup.

If you let us know how much your budget range is, if we know that, we can help you more in your selection!
Old 12-19-2012, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhflyfisher View Post
While i know some people like the setup, i myself try and direct people to not buy a pre made combo as their first set up. I dont enjoy amundson products myself, but to his or her their own...
x2.

go to a fly shop and get them to make a package for you with a Rio Gold (or Mainstream at least) fly line
Old 12-19-2012, 06:11 PM

It was on for 40% so I snagged it.
Old 12-19-2012, 08:03 PM

I don't personally own any Amundson rods but I have cast a few and they will definitely serve you well. Do yourself a favour though and take the money you saved and buy some good Rio gold line. You'll find it a lot easier to learn with good line.
Old 12-20-2012, 12:37 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by timsesink View Post
It was on for 40% so I snagged it.
Well first of all,congrats on the deal and welcome to the flyfishing game.
Quote:
Originally Posted by timsesink View Post
Hey Guys
The local TFH has these on sale, looks like a nice package. Will be my first, however I don't want to get an el cheapo I'll want to upgrade immediately. I'll plan to get a second spool for sinking line. Any thoughts on it?
Tim
Thoughts.....hmmmm??
1st thought is I'm not familiar with that combo,but I do have an Amundson TXS 9/10 reel on my Spey rod and so far so good,I like it just fine/no complaints,and will likely look at buying more Amundson products in the future?That said,the reel's quality is generally the least important of the 3 components behind the rod and line for most trout fishing.
Second,as mentioned previously,you'll probably want to spool up with a good quality line.Can't say I've ever seen any "entry level combo" that came with good line?Cant really go wrong with Airflo,Rio,or SA,they are the "Big 3",and some guys still like Cortland,but IMO Cortland hasn't kept up with the technology advances in flyline manufacturing and relies more on brand loyalty as the former industry leader back in the day?Regardless,as a newbie flyfisher,at least you're on the water and you won't likely have the skill or experience to appreciate the difference anyhow......that is until you try a side by side comparison with a good quality line.....then you will never again buy the cheap stuff.
3rd thought,you mentioned in OP picking up a spare spool for sinking line.....waste of $$ IMHO?Unless you REALLY NEED a full sinking line for some special application(not likely I'm guessing?),you really don't need a spare spool,just more junk/excess weight to carry with you,and believe me,it all adds up.You'd be far better off IMHO to buy something like Rio Versitip system since you'll likely want to replace the combo line anyhow,or any quality line with a couple of sink tips in various sink rates,loop to loop connections and your ready for anything.A couple of sink tips is more compact,lighter,easier to pack with you than a spare spool,far less $$ than a second spool/backing/specialty line,and its easier/faster to change just your tip streamside than the entire
spool,restring rod etc.Also,spare spools are generally about 2/3(?) the cost of that same given reel.....personally speaking,I'd just as soon buy a complete new reel,but that's me?

Anyhow,that's my thoughts fwiw,welcome to "the quiet sport".

Last edited by grinr; 12-20-2012 at 12:46 AM.
Old 12-20-2012, 07:33 AM

Thanks so much, that is incredibly helpful. I still need to learn what a few of those things are, lol. I'm really looking forward to getting into the mountains to use it, especially on my backpacking trips.
Old 12-20-2012, 11:19 AM

I got into fly fishing about 2 years ago and bought this exact combo! My only complaint with the package was that I found everything but the rod and reel to be garbage. Like everyone else posted, buy Rio Gold line for your reel! I only caught a hand full of fish while I used the line from the package but once I switched to Rio Gold it made a world of difference and I started hooking into a lot more fish. Hope this helps, cheers!
Old 12-20-2012, 02:22 PM

For those saying a sinking line is not needed. I very much disagree. Fishing flowing water, yes i exclusively fish a floating line although my clear intermediate gets use every now and then. But if you're fishing lakes, i'd say some sort of sinking line is crucial. I will go head to head with anyone on a lake with the ability to use a sinking line and a floating versus someone exclusively fishing a floating line. I'll guarantee you, the sinking + floating combo will out fish the floating 5-1. Just simply because once the sun starts shining and the water temp gets just a tad bit uncomfortable, the fish will seek deeper water, 15+ feet. The floating will work great for those days the fish want nothing else but food items in the mid-upper water column, but those days are fairly limited. If fish start eating invertebrates or leeches crawling along the bottom consistently (which they do) good luck with that floater.

I'd say a Floater and a type 3 sinking line would serve your purposes bare minimum if you fish stillwaters and rivers. If you're a true stillwater angler, you have a floating, intermediate, type 3 and type 6, all ready to go. Versatile anglers catch more fish.
Old 12-21-2012, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhflyfisher View Post
For those saying a sinking line is not needed. I very much disagree. Fishing flowing water, yes i exclusively fish a floating line although my clear intermediate gets use every now and then. But if you're fishing lakes, i'd say some sort of sinking line is crucial. I will go head to head with anyone on a lake with the ability to use a sinking line and a floating versus someone exclusively fishing a floating line. I'll guarantee you, the sinking + floating combo will out fish the floating 5-1. Just simply because once the sun starts shining and the water temp gets just a tad bit uncomfortable, the fish will seek deeper water, 15+ feet. The floating will work great for those days the fish want nothing else but food items in the mid-upper water column, but those days are fairly limited. If fish start eating invertebrates or leeches crawling along the bottom consistently (which they do) good luck with that floater.

I'd say a Floater and a type 3 sinking line would serve your purposes bare minimum if you fish stillwaters and rivers. If you're a true stillwater angler, you have a floating, intermediate, type 3 and type 6, all ready to go. Versatile anglers catch more fish.
Well said, I couldn't agree more. I would add however, if you only have one line, a floating line is the most versatile and I do fish a floating line with my rig at depths of 22ft.

Here's an article I wrote that goes into a little more detail.
Floating Lines & Stillwaters

Cheers,
Doc
Old 12-21-2012, 10:40 AM

oh man, this is way more complicated then I ever imagined. I've opened Pandora's box. How would you get the line down that deep?
Old 12-21-2012, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
Well said, I couldn't agree more. I would add however, if you only have one line, a floating line is the most versatile and I do fish a floating line with my rig at depths of 22ft.

Here's an article I wrote that goes into a little more detail.
Floating Lines & Stillwaters

Cheers,
Doc
I use leaders on my floaters in excess of 17', but casting a 17'+ leader can be an issue for most casters. I agree that the floater is the most versatile when you add lengths of leader, but one type of sinking is definitely needed.

thanks for the article!

J
Old 12-21-2012, 03:30 PM
Banned

I never said you don't need sinking lines/tips,I said you don't need an extra spool to fish them.
I bought myself an el cheapo/Walmart special full sinking line in 7wt for $20(?) and hacked it up into various lengths,4',8',12',20',30' etc.,and added loop to loop connectors to each of them.With loop connectors on the ends of my floating lines from 3wt-8wt,it's a simple matter of selecting the appropriate sink tip as the situation warrants.
So you fellas can buy extra spools,backing,and specialty lines for each and every one of your rod weights,or pay $130ish(?) for Rio Versitip lines for every rod weight you own if you like,but I've been using the same 20 buck pizzachit Crystal River full sinking line and maybe 10 bucks/worth of loop connectors for all of my sinktip needs for 7-8 years now??
Old 12-21-2012, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grinr View Post
I never said you don't need sinking lines/tips,I said you don't need an extra spool to fish them.
I bought myself an el cheapo/Walmart special full sinking line in 7wt for $20(?) and hacked it up into various lengths,4',8',12',20',30' etc.,and added loop to loop connectors to each of them.With loop connectors on the ends of my floating lines from 3wt-8wt,it's a simple matter of selecting the appropriate sink tip as the situation warrants.
So you fellas can buy extra spools,backing,and specialty lines for each and every one of your rod weights,or pay $130ish(?) for Rio Versitip lines for every rod weight you own if you like,but I've been using the same 20 buck pizzachit Crystal River full sinking line and maybe 10 bucks/worth of loop connectors for all of my sinktip needs for 7-8 years now??
That sounds like a good way to conserve money and im with you on spools being stupidly expensive. But i might suggest a cartridge system. The amundson diablo cartridge reel would probably do the job at 80$, extra cassettes cost 12 bucks or something like that. My next reel will be the hardy ultralite CLS, the ability to have 6 spools, and not pay the 115 dollars+ per spool is something every stillwater angler should take advantage of.
Old 12-21-2012, 08:13 PM
Banned

If you want to get your floating line to get down, try clipping the curve off of a long shanked barbed on the shank hook. File the clipped end so its kinda rounded but not to sharp, then insrt into your flyline,,, you then not only have wighted line but an eye to tie your leader to. This is helpful for those who are beginning but advancing quickly. I will try to photograph a step by step, or will try to do this when the garage warms up enough to allow comfortable rumaging.
Old 12-21-2012, 08:57 PM

I have been using the Amundson Diablo cassette reel this year and I really like it.

It comes with a few extra spools and a small case to carry them all in.

The drag system is quite a bit smoother and more reliable then the old Amundson reels.

I can't say how this top fly combo is but I have the wind warrior and the midge rods and both have treated me well.
Old 12-21-2012, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gust View Post
If you want to get your floating line to get down, try clipping the curve off of a long shanked barbed on the shank hook. File the clipped end so its kinda rounded but not to sharp, then insrt into your flyline,,, you then not only have wighted line but an eye to tie your leader to. This is helpful for those who are beginning but advancing quickly. I will try to photograph a step by step, or will try to do this when the garage warms up enough to allow comfortable rumaging.
What stops water from soaking up the core and turning you floating line into a sinking......
Old 12-21-2012, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhad View Post
What stops water from soaking up the core and turning you floating line into a sinking......
yeah, i wouldnt recommend doing what he said. unless you want to ruin that 80 dollar rio gold you just bought....
Old 12-21-2012, 11:14 PM
Banned

You would need to spend a very large amount of time submerged to cause such wicking.