Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 11-30-2012, 03:21 PM

Default Uses for an 8 weight?

So asking this a little late, but... LOL

I have a nice Sage 5 weight rod that I use for various eastern face trout streams, including the one I live on, the Sheep. Been thinking I also wanted something a little heavier for throwing winter streamers on the Bow, and perhaps to use the odd time I go to BC or that yearly winter vacation in Mexico, Cuba, etc.

On the spur of the moment this week I picked up a real nice Orvis Hydros reel (7 to 9 weight) I came across in an Orvis shop while on a business trip. Now I'll pick up a rod. Already pretty much decided on a TFO BVK 8wt. Already read up on it and cast it myself. Nice.

So my questions: What can/should I use the 8 for around here, over my 5? Would it be a more appropriate Bow rod? Other uses? Given my possible uses, would the 8 be the best choice in the 7 to 9 range, given I already have a 5?

Also, I've only got one spool so far. What should I load it with? Floating? Sinking tip? Fellow told me floating was best for the flats, other southern destinations, but what about on the Bow, etc.?

Thanks!
Old 11-30-2012, 03:52 PM

Alberta pike on the fly....an 8wt is perfect for that.

LC
Old 11-30-2012, 03:54 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Alberta pike on the fly....an 8wt is perfect for that.

LC
...get a 10WT and smack the Queen of Scheme with it.....
Old 11-30-2012, 04:04 PM

Like has been mentioned, pike specifically. Its perfect size for bones and redfish. More specifically i'd be using it to cast the big weighted streamers for bulls. With a rio outbound short type 6 sinking line, you've got a wicked set up for casting those big flies and hauling those pigs out of the deep. It could also be used for nymphing the big heavy nymph rigs during stonefly season on the bow.

I feel like an 8wt is almost essential for every angler in alberta to have, along with a 5wt, and a 3wt, you're set for pretty much anything.
Old 11-30-2012, 04:36 PM

The 8wt BVK is a great choice for a second rod. It actually feels more like a 6wt in your hand. You could easily use it on the bow for chucking streamers, or even use it for a nymphing rod. Ideal for Pike, and would be also be a great rod on either coast for medium sized salmon. It would be a super rod for chasing Bonefish down south in places like Cuba, Mexico, and Belize....
Old 11-30-2012, 04:55 PM

Its great for big lakers, big bulls, Northerns, walleye (fast sink streamers), Salmon in BC and its a great rod weight for small and large mouth bass in BC.
I have two 8 weights and love them both.
Old 11-30-2012, 05:54 PM

Yup, pike, bullies, salmon, bigger lakers...

Mexico I'd stick with at least a 10 wt!
Old 11-30-2012, 07:28 PM

great fly rod choice ! My 8 wt TFO is my go to favorite for just about everything.
!
Old 11-30-2012, 07:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
So asking this a little late, but... LOL

I have a nice Sage 5 weight rod that I use for various eastern face trout streams, including the one I live on, the Sheep. Been thinking I also wanted something a little heavier for throwing winter streamers on the Bow, and perhaps to use the odd time I go to BC or that yearly winter vacation in Mexico, Cuba, etc.

On the spur of the moment this week I picked up a real nice Orvis Hydros reel (7 to 9 weight) I came across in an Orvis shop while on a business trip. Now I'll pick up a rod. Already pretty much decided on a TFO BVK 8wt. Already read up on it and cast it myself. Nice.

So my questions: What can/should I use the 8 for around here, over my 5? Would it be a more appropriate Bow rod? Other uses? Given my possible uses, would the 8 be the best choice in the 7 to 9 range, given I already have a 5?

Also, I've only got one spool so far. What should I load it with? Floating? Sinking tip? Fellow told me floating was best for the flats, other southern destinations, but what about on the Bow, etc.?

Thanks!
Oko: You bought a reel on a whim.

Until you really need an 8 Wt rod forget about it.

Put that reel on your 5 wt Sage and see how it balances. You might be surprised.

Or sell it
Old 11-30-2012, 09:37 PM

cast my 8 weight for cohos in the chuck
Old 11-30-2012, 09:53 PM

It's been well covered but pike & bull trout around here for me... Also used it for offshore & salmon trips. Havnt had a need for more then a 6wt on the bow personally but i dont chuck a ton of streamers. Having an 8wt in your arsenal is a very benifical option & will put everything on the menu you want to chase.
Old 12-01-2012, 08:54 AM

Use mine for Lakers, nice for handling big flies.

My blog - casting on the waters

fishing regulations and facts on fish handling
Fishing Regulations
Old 12-01-2012, 10:01 AM
Banned

Cool

I am blasphemous, try a spinning reel . Works great for fly under float at distance and getting deep. Flame suit on ... flash, splutter, flash. Honey where did we put the receipt for this thing.lol..
Old 12-01-2012, 12:03 PM

I use my 8 for pike in AB and Salmon in BC.

Mexico/cuba...I think a 10 would be a bit better...if only DW would let me bring a rod along!
Old 12-01-2012, 09:56 PM

Since you have a 5wt I would go with a 7wt. Then buy an extra spool for the reel and line it with a 9wt. 5-7-9 and you're covered.
Old 12-02-2012, 03:50 PM
Banned

a heavier weighted rod is nice for those days where the wind is head on at your favorite hole, great for that extra push.
Old 12-02-2012, 03:56 PM

Uses for an 8wt ~ many & varied !!

Perfect for Northerns !!
Old 12-03-2012, 10:59 AM

Thanks guys. Good info. I do understand a 10wt. might be better for Mexico, etc., but seems like it's probably overkill for the Bow and lakes here, which I will fish more than Mexico. I'll go with the 8wt and if it gets snapped on the flats then I'll see how good this TFO warranty is. LOL
Old 12-03-2012, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish gunner View Post
I am blasphemous, try a spinning reel . Works great for fly under float at distance and getting deep. Flame suit on ... flash, splutter, flash. Honey where did we put the receipt for this thing.lol..
Why not use both. I can stand you elitest spin fishermen.
Old 12-03-2012, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Thanks guys. Good info. I do understand a 10wt. might be better for Mexico, etc., but seems like it's probably overkill for the Bow and lakes here, which I will fish more than Mexico. I'll go with the 8wt and if it gets snapped on the flats then I'll see how good this TFO warranty is. LOL
I caught lots of bones...one beauty permit and lots of cudas.

My biggest problem was hitting the end of my rod with a weighted clouser on my second cast...snapping my rod tip. Take a spare rod...even if borrowed.
Old 12-04-2012, 10:16 PM

Smile

Quote:
I have used an 8 wt for several trips down south. Mexico, Grand Cayman, Cuba and others. It is a great wt to fish for bones. If you catch something larger you'll have a battle. But hey that's what it's all about. I did manage to get a baracuda with mine while down in Cozumel. That was a blast to catch on the fly.

So your 8 wt will do fine. For a line you can just use a standard floating line. As I said I have fished several times down south with just a "normal" Rio floating line. No "special" bone fishing tropical line. I have done quite well and the line is still in use today after about 6 years of use. So it will be just fine in the heat.

The 8 wt will do fine also on the Bow if you decide to go crazy and fish some chuck and duck double clouser set ups. It will also be great for some pike on the fly. Give me a shout in the spring when we can get a boat in the water and we can take my boat out for some spring pike on the fly.

Rob
Old 12-05-2012, 09:29 AM

I like to think of flyrods as similar to golf clubs. To play a complete game, I don't know of any golfers who carry one club around the course (unless it's mini golf!!!!)

Like golf clubs, varying rod weights, actions, lengths etc all fill specific niches / needs / situations where each rod will perform well (or should I say better than other rods). So just like golf, the club / rod you pick is determined by the "game sitiuation" you find yourself in.

That said, if you wish, you can limit yourself to one part of the game (say dry flies and small nymphs for trout) and get away with just one rod,,, but if you want to expand your game, you will need different rods for better results.

An 8 wt rod is a great streamer rod for trout and pike here in Alberta. If you really get into pike fishing and target larger pike with large bulky flies, a 9 or 10 wt rod will find lots of good use of too.
Old 12-05-2012, 11:05 AM
Banned

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
Why not use both. I can stand you elitest spin fishermen.
Lol I do use both , my suggestion is just to expand the realm of the 8wt . However yes when I use my 20yr old Mitchell 300 I may get a little snobbish.
Old 12-09-2012, 01:30 PM

Smile

I like and agree with your analogy Pikebreath. For quite a few years now I have been assembling a rod a year and I pretty much have things covered 3 through 8. Last winter I assembled a 6wt, 9.5ft Dancraft Five Rivers and really like the slightly slower action for streamers out of a drift boat. I feel more accurate with it than my super fast 8wt. which is pretty important when your passing that nice logjam. I can think of endless situations where the material, weight, length and action of a rod can be perceived as "the rod" for that moment. So there is always another rod that I would like to add. Does it catch me more fish? Nothing worth measuring but it is part of the pastime for me.

Golf? Great game but others can have it.
Old 12-14-2012, 12:12 PM

I use a 7wt 4 pc Orvis for pike and big streamers, and shooting heads to get a bit deeper when necessary in ddep holes in rivers or lakes or salt.. I have a TFO Lefty Kreh version, 4 pc, 9wt, that I used at Queen Charlottes and Hakai Pass a lot. I broke a 7wt trying to get a black bass out of the kelp one trip. I really like the 9wt TFO, it worked well with shooting heads from 250-375gr wts. I got down to 80ft with it on slack tide on the 375gr. Heads are nicer to p/u, to recast than a straight sinker for me.
The 7 is nice for trolling with a 200-250gr head on it. It tends to stay down where it is supposed to be, when leeching at dusk.
TFO warranty is excellent. I've whacked the 9wt a few times, and a 10wt that I have. Was 25.00 and a drive over to Springbrook, fixed in moments.
Old 12-14-2012, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heron View Post
Golf? Great game but others can have it.
My feelings exactly,,,,,, everytime I drive by a crowded golf course on the way to my fishing hole, I thank God for golf becuz those guys aren't out fishing!
Old 12-15-2012, 12:36 PM

Ya golfer told me once, "there is nothing more beautiful than a golf course first thing in the morning when the dew is glistening on the green". I just smiled and nodded. Sorry about the tangent.