Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 02-08-2015, 10:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JReed View Post
Youtube "the humble fisherman", his videos feature fly-fishing in Alberta. He has an australian shepard that is very disciplined. I wish I had a dog like that, i think he got it pre-trained from south ram outfitters.

Interesting now is there a place that trains dogs for this purpose do you guys know? Lol I know they train them for bird dogs lol but maybe there is a place in alberta where I can get a dog trained for wading and fishing rivers lol

Too good to be true
Old 02-09-2015, 06:37 AM

My shepherd would fish with me in my younger days, she's gone now but it was enjoyable as she would sit close to me and never wander even if someone approached. Others in the outdoors may not appreciate when your pet who goes to visit and doesn't want to leave so be conscious if that.

Be sure you have trained and can control of your dogs though, before you go out. I've seen many terrible things over the years including dogs swept away and drowned even in small streams, nasty encounters with wildlife, blind from Porcupines and wildlife bites plus terrible falls. City dogs often don't know how to act in the bush if they aren't out a lot, its like information overload for them. My neighbours pointer ingested something and passed on in the field while we where hunting upland so keep an eye on habits.

Last year while fishing a small stream my elderly fishing buddy was attacked from behind by two Rhodesian Ridgebacks that charged upstream with the owner screaming at them to stop. Tore his waders half off and almost had him down. Lucky we both had bear spray and had the presence of mind to use is it as it might have been worse than damaged equipment and bites. Don't know what got into those dogs. But owner control was responsible.

Sometimes people think that just because they are in the bush they don't need control of their dogs and can let them run amuck. Keep you dogs safe.

My blog - casting on the waters

fishing regulations and facts on fish handling
Fishing Regulations
Old 02-09-2015, 12:57 PM

My two goldens go with me everywhere! They love it!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dogs in boat.jpg (41.5 KB, 77 views)
Old 02-09-2015, 04:36 PM

Excellent thread! I'm another vote for always having my dog with me, except during the end of run-off when they are still high but I can't wait any longer.

I haven't seen anyone else vote for my favorite breed yet so I'll make my vote for the rescue dog.
Old 02-09-2015, 05:13 PM

Default Dog

Have two labs and wouldn't trade them for anything, however I cannot keep either one out of the river and they know how to check out the good trout lies before I get there. Not their fault but mine. They just love being in the water and any fly rod looks close enough to a gun to get them all excited! I generally leave them at home if I'm stream fishing and want any chance of catching anything. They will bail off the boat and chase fish on the stringer, it's funny as heck When I figure out how I will post a video of one bringing back a fish that was released lol.
Old 02-09-2015, 08:57 PM

My Boy walks the streams and trails into the back country with us all season long. Not a breed that typically enjoys the water, but he learned at a young age if he wanted to hang with us he was gonna get wet. Crossed his first river at 3 months and hasn't looked back. He crosses where we do and stays back from the water and away from lines until we hook up and then will usually come for a look and sometimes even a lick. Good boy that's a pleasure to spend time on the water with.

Dace

Old 02-12-2015, 01:34 PM

As a funny side note to this thread - I was fishing last year with my dog on a small creek and we were headed back to the truck. I was walking along the bank and she came racing back to me after I had chucked a stick. When she took her last leap and landed by me I noticed her landing had spooked a couple rainbows out from the undercut. I looked back upstream and noticed the next obvious spot that they would head for cover. So the dog and I headed down a bit to find a place to cross, we slowly made our way back up on the other side, changed flies and made sure they would be back to feeding then managed to catch a couple out of the little log jam they would have taken cover in.
I thought it was kinda cool
Old 02-13-2015, 06:05 AM
Banned

So I decided on getting a dog from a working bloodline, probably from south ram outfitters, an Australian Shepard
What do you guys think?
Old 02-13-2015, 07:02 AM

Tundra was one of the best fishing companions I had, whether it was hanging out on a river or in the boat she just loved to be out. Always well behaved and stayed out of the way for the most part, in the confines of the boat not always possible. Aside from being a great companion she provided some great entertainment too. Sadly she passed a couple years ago after ten great years of fishing and camping, certainly left a hole in my heart.
Old 02-23-2015, 11:56 PM

What a great thread guys. My pooch has seen some pretty wild places from coast to coast and absolutely loves coming on trips with me, mostly to BC rivers. Loves to photo bomb, wouldn't have it any other way!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0139.jpg (45.2 KB, 78 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0648.jpg (57.4 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0615.jpg (53.3 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0152.jpg (31.5 KB, 60 views)
Old 02-24-2015, 12:34 AM

Hey Dace You brought a few tears with those pictures. Looks just like my male border/lab cross. I couldnt go anywhere without them (brother sister) real bush dogs. Ben gone for 2 years and shel 1 year. Still miss them like it was yesterday.
Old 02-26-2015, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CenterPin View Post
What a great thread guys. My pooch has seen some pretty wild places from coast to coast and absolutely loves coming on trips with me, mostly to BC rivers. Loves to photo bomb, wouldn't have it any other way!
What kind of Salmon is that first one? Thing looks gnarly.
Old 02-27-2015, 08:13 AM

Here is my fishing buddy! He is too little (and clueless) to wander the woods so he is usually tied to something (here it's a screw in pole type of thing).
Old 02-28-2015, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battery View Post
What kind of Salmon is that first one? Thing looks gnarly.
That was the !st sockeye I ever caught all dressed up in spawning colors. Caught a bunch of coho and nice steelhead this day but that sockeye really made me smile.
Old 03-04-2015, 05:43 PM

I like to take my parents pup out with me when i can. He's pretty hyper being a young little fella still, does him alot of good to walk a couple kms down the riverbank or run behind the side by side. Loves fishing on the river and ice fishing, but he gets really nervous on the boat, going to have to work on that.

Last week of the open water season.

Ice fishing is definitely his favorite though, as soon as he hears a little drag pull out he sits down right in front of the hole and waits for the fish to come up.

As soon as he gets a little chilly he just curls up and takes 5.
Old 03-06-2015, 12:11 PM

My girly knows exactly what's going on the minute I put on my fishing jacket to head out, she almost can't contain herself she gets so excited. She wanders a bit from time to time but it doesn't matter how far away she is it only takes a quick name call and she comes running back.