Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 10-30-2013, 12:22 AM

Question NAFA Standards

I recently was in a trapping store and I noticed that some of the stretching boards did not measure up to the NAFA measurements. How strict is NAFA? I was told that the best thing you can do is follow what NAFA wants. If you don't you are cheating yourself out of cash. I figure it makes sense.

So... If the boards don't match the standards: 1: Where can I purchase NAFA standard boards? Does NAFA have very strict standards the adhere too? or can you be with in a range of 3/4" or two of sorts? I have never sold to NAFA I have been on the NAFA sight many of time but have not registered. Any tips to deal with NAFA and the standards?
Thanks
Old 10-30-2013, 10:53 PM

i can't comment on how strict they are but just build your own boards. i have always built my own and never had a problem.
Old 10-30-2013, 11:46 PM

Default Nafa

I went onto NAFA site as well and went under wildfur heading then resources,there are manuals you can print off, that give detailed information on each species, size of boards with measurements for making your own boards,all the codes used when grading your fur for auction,pic's of species showing various colour variations etc, found it helpful and printed off information and created a binder with info for a further reference point,been extremely helpful for me, plan to ship to NAFA this season Peter
Old 10-30-2013, 11:54 PM

That is my current issue. I was recently in a trapping store in Edmonton and some of the boards did not meet the NAFA standards on that file from NAFA. ( I took a tape measure an checked )
If there standards are relaxed and within 3/4 of an inch the boards for sale will work no prob. Just wondering if they de-rate a hide if not to their standard would affect the pelt price?
Old 10-31-2013, 08:51 AM

Default boards

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill9044 View Post
That is my current issue. I was recently in a trapping store in Edmonton and some of the boards did not meet the NAFA standards on that file from NAFA. ( I took a tape measure an checked )
If there standards are relaxed and within 3/4 of an inch the boards for sale will work no prob. Just wondering if they de-rate a hide if not to their standard would affect the pelt price?
hello bill9044, as long as they are not outrageously different then industry standard than by all means they will be ok,most of the trappers on here make their own boards.
Old 10-31-2013, 09:23 AM

Thanks PCP_ECOM for the information. I will be looking into building my own board. Thanks
Old 10-31-2013, 10:53 PM

Default first one built

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill9044 View Post
Thanks PCP_ECOM for the information. I will be looking into building my own board. Thanks
Your welcome bill9044,made my first ever coyote board today a split board made with 2 1x3's and i used NAFA measurements to create head area, looks pretty good, will take picture and post, happy trapping Peter,oh and 12 mink boxes ready for deployment tomorrow,golf course super told me he seen some ratyher large mink running arround,said there used to be nimk farm in my area at one time,looking forward to see what may end up in the middle of a 120