Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 10-25-2013, 08:50 PM

Default My new open water rat setup

Either I was looking at another forum or it was posted here not too long ago and can't find it but there was a short Youtube video of a guy that used surveyors stakes in open water to catch rats. I made up about 15 of them now in no time after todays results. With 5 set I missed on one and the other 4 had rats in them. I had them all at the beaver ponds I am hitting and there isn't an easy way to get rats in them so I thought I would try it.

I pound a small nail in about 6 inches down from the top and then another small carpenter nail in 6 inches below that one. I use #1 legholds and they have a small hole in the bottom of the traps base plate that I hook on the bottom nail. On the top nail I put on a small piece of carrot and on the top of the stick I put some lure I bought from Halfords. The lure smells like peppermint. Then you just push the stake into the mud in the open water at a slant so when the rat comes he tries to climb the stake to get the carrot. Usually the carrot is only a few inches out of the water. I am getting back foot catches on them as well and they drown fast that way and don't get away. It works real well. I will see if I can find the video
Old 10-25-2013, 09:22 PM

I wanted to try the same thing. What also works is to put a 110 on a stake with a carrot on the trigger; Put the stake in the mud so that the carrot is just out of the water level. The muskrat will try to get the carrot and wham!
Old 10-26-2013, 08:17 PM

Default stake set

Seen this on youtube as well they were using them in under ice sets as well as open water with great success
Old 10-26-2013, 08:38 PM

I had 15 set up last night and connected on %75 today. It is the best method yet that I have learned. I also got another yote today that looked real good.