Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 10-23-2013, 07:27 PM

Default Setting foot traps close to any structure?

Any one experience damage to a pelt when set beside a structure . Using a staked trapp not a dragg?. Thinking about some fence line sets. I have caught allot in foot holds and I know how they can tear the area up. Any comment would be great
Old 10-23-2013, 07:48 PM

Snared a yote on a fence once. He ended up dead on top of a fencepost and some fur missing on the barbed wire
Old 10-23-2013, 08:52 PM

Default Location

Hey Rod

I'm no professional,but the area i am trapping rats has a fence line which the yotes are travelling along extensively as i walk the fence line checking rat stuff i see areas near their travel route where a well placed set would surely draw their attention,hence keeping them away from said fence, dirt mounds, rock piles etc,doesn't answer issue of pelt damage, but may give you options for set placement near to your fence line/ travel corridor, this is what i see in my area IMO,Peter and if i had more time i would be setting some steel in the ground,hence i will wait til i can snare them in the hedge row that runs full length of the marsh,as steel requires a 24 hour check and i still got a job i have to be at, unfortunately
Old 10-25-2013, 06:56 PM

PCP has the right idea about setting at spots near the fenceline, where you can draw the coyotes attention to, but far enough from the fence to avoid pelt damage.
Old 10-25-2013, 08:35 PM

I got one today on a beaver dam. what a mess he was in. Had to wash him down to make him even look like a yote.
Old 10-25-2013, 08:47 PM

Default eye candy

fence is a good travel route, pull the yote 10 feet away with a attractor, such as a old bleached cattle skull or such, i used tainted chicken[ old layers] in a dirt hole plugged with feathers and skull as backing [ i gathered skulls like mushrooms] they really work it , scatter some feathers around for more eye appeal set more than one trap nearby as they are still in family groups, caught 5 in a row within 50 yards one Halloween day all right foot sweet