Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 11-06-2013, 09:47 PM

Got a question for you guys. I caught 5 yotes today. One was caught around the hips and one was behind the front leg and neck. Why is that? Is my loop too big or is it too low to the ground? My loops are about 14" wide and about a foot off the ground. Should I change it up or is it just that way once in a while?
Old 11-06-2013, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
Got a question for you guys. I caught 5 yotes today. One was caught around the hips and one was behind the front leg and neck. Why is that? Is my loop too big or is it too low to the ground? My loops are about 14" wide and about a foot off the ground. Should I change it up or is it just that way once in a while?
Looks to me that you answered your own questions.

Sounds like too big. Try about a hand width of a normal sized man 8-10 inches and a foot should be good, if they start going under your sets place a small stick under the snare to make them lift their heads.

Hope this helps

TEH

some day I'll shoot a deer bigger than my son's.
Old 11-07-2013, 07:42 AM

I will give it a try. I just hate getting too high or I will start to catch the odd deer. I have had a few walk through my snares and thank goodness I didn't catch one. Which brings up another question- what do you do if you do catch one? I might have to keep a deer tag handy I guess.
Old 11-07-2013, 06:57 PM

Default Snares

I also tried Marty's alberta powersnare system(1ith the triggers) they work awesome!

Nube, your loops are too big. You height is good, I use 12 inch high, and 10-12 inch loops.

As far as deer, that's why you run a breakaway on your snares, 90 % of deer will just break the snare breakaway. The other 10 % you have to deal with as per the regulations...
Old 11-07-2013, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Eagle View Post
I also tried Marty's alberta powersnare system(1ith the triggers) they work awesome!

Nube, your loops are too big. You height is good, I use 12 inch high, and 10-12 inch loops.

As far as deer, that's why you run a breakaway on your snares, 90 % of deer will just break the snare breakaway. The other 10 % you have to deal with as per the regulations...
I use 10" loops but the height depends on the situation and where the snare is located.

When a coyote is heading into a field from a bush line their heads are up looking to see if everything is clear or whats out there. Then the snare should be a little higher. If they are running down a trail and under a log (for example) then the snare would be lower.

To avoid deer, I do not place snares on deer trails and I'll put a branch over top my snare where a coyote or fox will go under and through the snare and a deer will go around.

I've been snaring for roughly 18 years and have yet to get a deer in my snares. Although I'm not one of those guys that run 200 plus snares at a time, I usually have at the most 30 snares out.