Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 10-21-2013, 11:06 AM

Default Trapping Down South

Hi guys, I am just trying to get into trapping but I have noticed that all the supply stores for trapping supplies are up north, like Edmonton and Westlock. So this got me thinking, is trapping only good up in more northern Alberta?
Also down here by Calgary what would be good for me to catch? Thanks everyone!

-Nick
Old 10-21-2013, 06:39 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyTrapper View Post
Hi guys, I am just trying to get into trapping but I have noticed that all the supply stores for trapping supplies are up north, like Edmonton and Westlock. So this got me thinking, is trapping only good up in more northern Alberta?
Also down here by Calgary what would be good for me to catch? Thanks everyone!

-Nick
Hi Nick.

I haven't spent much time in the Calgary area and I have never trapped down there but I do know that is a lot of trapping activity in the mid US states so I'm pretty sure there ought to be good trapping in the Calgary are.

I would expect Beaver, Mink, Muskrat, Weasel, Coyote and Fox in good numbers throughout the area.
There may also be Bobcat and Otter.

Someone who traps the area could tell you more.

My uncle once told me there is more fur in farming country then in bush country. That seems to be true, at least to some degree.
Not greater verity but I believe there is greater numbers of some species.

There may not be any trapping supply outlets in Calgary but I'd be surprised if there weren't some supplies available in some of the small town hardware stores in the area.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 10-21-2013, 07:32 PM

And i always thought Edmonton was down south, it's 8 hour drive down!. There are more Lynx, Marten up north, but no where near the amount of coyotes, marshes for rats or beaver.
Old 10-21-2013, 07:35 PM

Edmonton is down south for me too Jim but only 4.5 hrs for me

Marten 2
Lynx. 2
Weasel 3
Wolf. 3
otter 5
fisher 2
beaver 3
fox 1
Mink 1
Coyote 1
Squirrel
Old 10-21-2013, 07:35 PM

X2 on the species Keg mentioned. There are the occasional racoon around too.

The carnivores will travel the coulees. They like to follow the lowest ground alot on the open prairies. The prairie coyotes around Calgary and east have nice clear pelts. Big yappers. Where ever there are gophers there will be badgers too.
You would have to go to crowsnest country and south for bobcat. The Calgary area should have a good population of big prairie longtail weasels too. They travel like to travel grassy fencelines and mousy places. mink along any fish bearing stream or muskrat water. Some beaver and fox.

The foothills SW of Calgary would be nice trapping but there are too many outdoor enthusiasts using the area risking harassment and trap theft.

If you trap in a 'certain' area in Calgary you can catch lynx, wolverine, wolves, bears, fisher, cougar, chimps, gorilla, hyenas, alligators, african lion, burmese python........oh, I forgot, they don't allow trapping at the zoo.

__________________________________________________ ______________

Today millions of plants were killed by vegetarians. Stop the slaughter.

Last edited by Red Bullets; 10-21-2013 at 07:50 PM.
Old 10-22-2013, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
X2 on the species Keg mentioned. There are the occasional racoon around too.

The carnivores will travel the coulees. They like to follow the lowest ground alot on the open prairies. The prairie coyotes around Calgary and east have nice clear pelts. Big yappers. Where ever there are gophers there will be badgers too.
You would have to go to crowsnest country and south for bobcat. The Calgary area should have a good population of big prairie longtail weasels too. They travel like to travel grassy fencelines and mousy places. mink along any fish bearing stream or muskrat water. Some beaver and fox.

The foothills SW of Calgary would be nice trapping but there are too many outdoor enthusiasts using the area risking harassment and trap theft.

If you trap in a 'certain' area in Calgary you can catch lynx, wolverine, wolves, bears, fisher, cougar, chimps, gorilla, hyenas, alligators, african lion, burmese python........oh, I forgot, they don't allow trapping at the zoo.

__________________________________________________ ______________

Today millions of plants were killed by vegetarians. Stop the slaughter.
Thanks Red, very helpful information, will help me get underway!
I also like the little information at the end!
Old 10-22-2013, 08:08 AM

thats great news marty!! what's the address? hours.
Old 10-22-2013, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty S View Post
We have a supply business south east of Calgary. We also are a full service depot for North American Fur Auctions - NAFA.

Our new business name is:
Canadian Coyote Company Ltd

Marilyn Senneker is our store administrator. She is always a pleasure to talk to, knows her stuff and is also much, much better looking than I am!

(Watch for our new brochure in NAFA's fall mailer package)

Marty & Marilyn Senneker, Hays Alberta 4037252283

Out of curiousity, as a NAFA depot do you see anyone bringing in any bobcat caught in Southern Alta.? not lynx.
Old 10-27-2013, 02:58 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
Out of curiousity, as a NAFA depot do you see anyone bringing in any bobcat caught in Southern Alta.? not lynx.

Information provided by the Biogeoscience Institute of the Canadian Rockies and Foothills (University of Calgary) shows Bobcat have a very limited range in Alberta.
Studies done as recently as 2009 found they are mostly south of Medicine Hat.

In their words;
Quote:
Using documented occurrences, Smith (1993) estimated the Bobcat’s distribution in Alberta as being in the grasslands south of Cypress Hills, west along the Milk River drainage basin, and north along the foothills
of the Rocky Mountains (Figure 1). However, Woelfl andWoelfl (1994) found evidence of their presence along the shoreline of the South Saskatchewan
River on Canadian Forces Base Suffield (50°32'N, 110°32'E), well north of this described distribution (Figure 1). They are also believed to be found in the eastern portion of the Red Deer River valley (Soper 1964; Banfield 1974).
Stats Canada shows very low numbers of Bobcat sold in Alberta, and they don't show where in the province they were caught.
I was only able to find numbers for 2007, 2008, and 2009.
The numbers show were 10, 18, and 17 respectively.

Interestingly, Lynx pelts numbers sold during those years were far higher with reported pelts numbers shown at 846, 1,019, and 1,346 respectively.

There doesn't seem to be more recent information available.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 10-27-2013, 03:03 PM

Not trapping but I have seen a ton of beavers and muskrats this year while I'm out duck hunting or for that matter anywhere near water. Coyotes have been quite plentiful too, big bushy fur on the six I seen yesterday.
Old 10-27-2013, 04:38 PM

Default Bobcats

I caught three bobcat as well as lynx last year and hour sw of calgary.
Old 10-29-2013, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by South west trappin RG View Post
I caught three bobcat as well as lynx last year and hour sw of calgary.
I took one 2 years ago here a half hour from the Montana border, bobcat that is . Not overly abundant but do see a track from time to time . My dad caught a lynx , way back in the late 60's here as well . It mysteriously went missing from the taxidemists .

Last edited by H380; 10-29-2013 at 07:42 AM.
Old 10-29-2013, 07:18 AM
Banned

There was one a few years ago taken in the Panther River area. That is as far North as I've heard.
Old 11-01-2013, 07:06 PM

the coyotes down here are beautiful, and big. Lots of good Muskrat country, and with the prices your cant go wrong with those. As with everywhere else in the province, I have never had any trouble finding beaver to trap down here either, though you may have to wait a bit longer for them to prime up. Lots of foxes near the cities and towns as well.
Old 11-03-2013, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilyL View Post
the coyotes down here are beautiful, and big. Lots of good Muskrat country, and with the prices your cant go wrong with those. As with everywhere else in the province, I have never had any trouble finding beaver to trap down here either, though you may have to wait a bit longer for them to prime up. Lots of foxes near the cities and towns as well.
Thanks Emily!