Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 10-30-2013, 12:17 AM

Question How are furbearers primeing up?

Just wondering how furbeares are Primeing up? I am in lower central Alberta. How are beaver primeing? I have a lot and I want em gone but no sense get em until prime. (My opinion/theory) I noticed some guys are talking about trapping rats I was always under the impression that rats were in prime in Jan. How are the coyote pelts coming along? We recently had a bit of a cold snap and hunting season is a couple days away and I am wondering if I should be packing the 22-250 for coyotes this early in the season. I see lots in the fields but it is hard to tell the under fur when they are high ballinger at 200yards. Any posts would be great. It sure is hard to hold off until the blue bellies are all primed up. I am itching and have been prepping for couple of weeks.

Thanks guys
Old 10-30-2013, 09:46 AM

Edmonton area and this is what I have found.
Coyotes -still Blue for the most part but the fur doesn't look too bad
Rats. - Some are blue and some look great with fat on them and look decent
Beaver- The young ones are blue hides still but the older ones look fine

I am catching a pile of rats right now in a lot of places where it will be hard in the winter or if I have a spot that they will freeze out.
I am not sure how it works but I still think you will get decent money for your critters this year even if they are not fully primed up yet.
Old 10-30-2013, 02:28 PM

I have access to a large slough it is three to four feet deep. I don't think that will freeze solid. The other slough I can trap is about a foot deep will that freeze? Thanks for the prime info