Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 10-06-2010, 09:32 PM

Default Finally received my 6.5x47 Lapua

I finally received my 6.5x47Lapua.Now I just need to wait for my dies,and scope and rings to arrive,so I can try it out.

Old 10-07-2010, 12:31 AM

Cool gun you will have fun.
Old 10-07-2010, 07:41 AM

Give us some specs please, whose action is that? Barrel? Etc. Nice looking rifle.
Old 10-07-2010, 08:28 AM
Precisionshooter

If Paul supplied the rail, check the base to make sure it is cut straight. The last one I had from Paul had about 0.015" offset (off center). It could easily be seen when you looked at the bottom of the base. The base was milled from aluminum flat bar. The radius on the underside came produced a sharp edge on one side and the opposite side had a flat. The pic cut seemed straight. Probably just a one of mistake but always nice to make sure what you have is correct, unless you order it with an offset.

At $2900 -$3100 the 6-24x56 is a nice scope. Fluride glass (best type in the industry). I still like the 72mm.. .no both are available in 1/4moa....

On the illumination models they use 3 turrets unlike S&B or Leupold which has the 4th nipple..

Hopefully Zeiss will introduce some new higher zoom multiplier scopes this shotshow!
Old 10-07-2010, 09:20 AM

The action is an RPA Quadlite,with the matching RPA trigger.The barrel is an RKS 1 in 8" twist.The stock is by Robertson Composites with spacer adjustable length of pull,and thumbwheel adjustable cheek piece.The magazine holds ten rounds,and the gun weighs just under 14lbs as pictured.I also received a second McPhee barrel in 308win,that is chambered and fitted for the action.

The rifle was built for a friend of Pauls,to compete with,but he decided not to compete,and hadn't fired the rifle at all.As the gun is pictured,but including the extra unused .308win barrel,I paid $3500,so I feel that I received good value for the price.He still has a matching rifle in 223 that is up for sale.

Quote:
At $2900 -$3100 the 6-24x56 is a nice scope. Fluride glass (best type in the industry). I still like the 72mm.. .no both are available in 1/4moa....
At the less than $2500 that I paid for the brand new scope,it is as nice a scope as I could find.
Old 10-07-2010, 09:41 AM
Precisionshooter

That is a great price if it is an FL scope and one with 1/4moa. If it is the .05mrad they run about $2200.00 and less.
Old 10-07-2010, 10:24 AM

Quote:
That is a great price if it is an FL scope and one with 1/4moa. If it is the .05mrad they run about $2200.00 and less.
It is the most recent version.Comparing part #s,P&D quoted me $3199,and WSS quoted me $3099,for the same scope.This one is being imported(legally) from the USA.I buy all of my optics from the same source,and he imports a lot of them.
Old 10-07-2010, 11:36 AM
Precisionshooter

Well there is a good spread on pricing so make sure you know which exact model you are getting. The earlier generation did not have FL glass which is a significant improvement to miss out on.
Old 10-07-2010, 01:31 PM

The scope most definitely has fluoride lenses.
Old 10-07-2010, 01:54 PM
Precisionshooter

The Victory FL 6-24 scopes are very nice, particularily the 72mm with 34mm tube! Second to none... Should be interesting when Zeiss broadens their line to incorporate some of the features like Swarovski - Z6 or one step better.
Old 10-07-2010, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
It is the most recent version.Comparing part #s,P&D quoted me $3199,and WSS quoted me $3099,for the same scope.This one is being imported(legally) from the USA.I buy all of my optics from the same source,and he imports a lot of them.
Great Rifle,I'm sure that it's deadly accurate.

Who did you end up going through to get your top of the line Zeiss Scope?
Old 10-07-2010, 05:28 PM
Banned

I'll give you that, it's a nice looking rifle. And the amount of cash that you've spent on it is no less impressive. As a married man, and getting towards the final payments on my acreage, there is no way that I could spend that much money on a single rifle. I do have a lot more invested in "all" of my rifles though.

My point is this:

1. Some of the high money rifles never seem to show up at various matches that I've attended. Perhaps I attend the wrong matches. Actually, the guy shooting beside me was working a multi thousand dollar Weatherby scoped with a Nightforce, beautiful rig. He couldn't hit buzzards within stinking distance.

2. My buddies and I attend matches such as bench rest matches, my brother being a first time match shooter took 2nd place using an old Remmy 788 in triple deuce being beaten by a mere .100" on his 300 yard target. Total cost of the gun = $800.00 with a cheapo VX1 Leupy scope.

3. Then we attended a silhouette match in Warner. Four riders in our truck, we took 5 first place medals and 3 of those guns were el' cheapo Stevens 200 scoped with nothing more than $500.00 optics.

My gun was scrutinized closely, they felt that I had a "custom" trigger. Nope, I didn't ...my trigger was customized by me. I honed the sear, adjusted the spring and the judge was so skeptical about my claims that I offered him the tools with which to take apart my gun. He declined, but needless to say I went on to knock 3 rams in a row at 500 yds.

Bottom line is: I like to look at your fancy and expensive rifles, but why is it that I never see any of "you" sharp shooters at matches anywhere????

No insult intended elk, but I just gotta ask? >'cause you can have the best rig around, but if you can't work it....then what's the point ??????????
Old 10-07-2010, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitrdun View Post

No insult intended elk, but I just gotta ask? >'cause you can have the best rig around, but if you can't work it....then what's the point ??????????
Well Besides Long Range shooting,I Know he plans to work it next Fall on His priority 8 Antelope hunt.

Elkhunter 11 is one of the most knowledgable Rifleman on the Forum,I'm positive He will have that 6.5 x 47L Dialed in ,So it's deadly accurate @ long Range.

As for him Having the best Rig around..... Quility Top of the Line Rifles,are some peoples thing.
Old 10-07-2010, 06:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetail Junkie View Post
Well Besides Long Range shooting,I Know he plans to work it next Fall on His priority 8 Antelope hunt.

Elkhunter 11 is one of the most knowledgable Rifleman on the Forum,I'm positive He will have that 6.5 x 47L Dialed in ,So it's deadly accurate @ long Range.
There's a lot to say about "knowleadgable" rifleman. Why don't we see them at shoots?.....shoots speak world of the man and the gun, more than words on the internet!
Old 10-07-2010, 06:08 PM

Quote:
There's a lot to say about "knowleadgable" rifleman. Why don't we see them at shoots?.....shoots speak world of the man and the gun, more than words on the internet!
I dont know,Work?,location? Elk11 lives in Fort Mac,so I could imagine that if He wants to shoot he has to travel more than a Few hundred Miles everytime,which would suck.You would have to let him answer that one.
Old 10-07-2010, 06:11 PM
Banned

Quote:

As for him Having the best Rig around..... Quility Top of the Line Rifles,are some peoples thing.
OK....so if you're the rifleman and your rig is the most expensive....then show up at a shoot. Don't TALK about it, let's see you and put some money on the targets. You into into it? putting money on the targets? Bring it on buddy, we wanna shoot you for the money or for just plain fun, but money is better.
Old 10-07-2010, 06:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
I dont know,Work?,location? Elk11 lives in Fort Mac,so I could imagine that if He wants to shoot he has to travel more than a Few hundred Miles everytime,which would suck.You would have to let him answer that one.
Don't make a challenge for Elk. This is about "YOU". you up to it?
Old 10-07-2010, 06:18 PM

Quote:
OK....so if you're the rifleman and your rig is the most expensive....then show up at a shoot. Don't TALK about it, let's see you and put some money on the targets. You into into it? putting money on the targets? Bring it on buddy, we wanna shoot you for the money or for just plain fun, but money is better.
Me or elkhunter11???

and when you say "WE",who else are you talking about?

On another note,people buy expensive guns because they can and thats what they are into.You cant critasize no one for that,weather or not there expensive gun shoots better or not ,than some el cheepo.
Old 10-07-2010, 06:19 PM

So, what reticle are you getting. Seems to me it comes with a #43, rapid z 1000, or rapid z varmint?
Old 10-07-2010, 06:44 PM
Banned

[QUOTE=whitetail Junkie;701429]Me or elkhunter11???

Sounds like a shooting match between me and WJ. I have respect for you young man. For sure, bring your junk over and I'll shoot my "junk". I'm always up for a good challenge....who knows, I might loose and we can turn out to be friends. Make sure to bring hard cash, I don't take cheques, likewise, I'll do the same for you.
Old 10-07-2010, 06:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Me or elkhunter11???

On another note,people buy expensive guns because they can and thats what they are into.You cant critasize no one for that,weather or not there expensive gun shoots better or not ,than some el cheepo.
Well, elkhunter and chuck for one are a couple of people that I always hear about the magnificent rifles that they're building. When I read their posts about the riifles "they" build, I feel like a looser. Then I go to shoots, and no one's ever heard about them........bahahahahahhah
Old 10-07-2010, 06:52 PM

[QUOTE=gitrdun;701451]
Quote:
Me or elkhunter11???

Sounds like a shooting match between me and WJ. I have respect for you young man. For sure, bring your junk over and I'll shoot my "junk". I'm always up for a good challenge....who knows, I might loose and we can turn out to be friends. Make sure to bring hard cash, I don't take cheques, likewise, I'll do the same for you.
Well at least you can admit that your shooting Stevens Junk.That Trash is made by Savage is'nt it? Accurate....Yes,But not something i'd Trust in Northern saskatchewan -35 Celcius.

I have a Feeling that I'm an Itch that you and your Buddy Duceman,just have to scratch...?
Old 10-07-2010, 06:53 PM

The gun was built as a target rifle,but I have no interest in competitive target shooting.I am not interested in the travel or the time that is involved in making it to shoots.My original intention was to purchase a rifle to play around with at our local range,as well as to perhaps shoot a few long range coyotes or wolves,and perhaps a pronghorn.While talking to Paul Reibin about building such a rifle for me,he mentioned that this rifle was available at a great price,so I purchased it.As for the scope,it will have a Varmint reticle,and it was purchased from Clay at Prophet River.As for the cost of the rifle,if you price out the components,you will soon realize that the price was well below what such a rifle would normally cost.As for me being able to afford such a rifle,I don't waste thousands of dollars each year smoking or gambling,and I drink very little,so I have some money left over to purchase some nice guns.
Old 10-07-2010, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
I don't waste thousands of dollars each year smoking or gambling,and I drink very little,so I have some money left over to purchase some nice guns.
x2 Besides the odd Cigar.
Old 10-07-2010, 07:17 PM

if gitrdun shoots anywhere close to as good as the duceman shoots i wouldnt be bettin the ranch against him!
Old 10-07-2010, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Well, elkhunter and chuck for one are a couple of people that I always hear about the magnificent rifles that they're building. When I read their posts about the riifles "they" build, I feel like a looser. Then I go to shoots, and no one's ever heard about them........bahahahahahhah
Its probably the same reason we don't see guys like you standing behind recently deceased big game. I have zero interest in competitive shooting at this stage of my life. I build guns and hunt with them. Show me something I've put together that's built with something else in mind. Quite simply put, you can't.

However, the constant petty ankle biting by guys like you is getting old.

-Billy Molls
Old 10-07-2010, 07:34 PM

Quote:
The rifle that Elkhunter11 bought was built for Fclass shooting, so unless you shoot with that type of crowd, you would not likely see that type of rifle - it has a very narrow window of application.
the same thing goes for TR rifles, unless you shoot with irons and single point slings, you are not going to see that rifle at a bench rest match or a hunting rifle type of rodeo.
The man that built the rifle BTW, is SUPER well know internationally and has captained more than one Bisley team, but his name was not well know on the general internet hunting forums until recently.

Cat
Old 10-07-2010, 09:33 PM

Very nice looking rig. To bad this thread is on the verge of getting derailed. Maybe one day I'll get to play with something like that. Very cool. How heavy are the bullets you will be shooting out of that thing?
Old 10-07-2010, 09:38 PM

I have some 123gr scenars,and some 130gr Bergers on the way to start load development with.With a B.C. of around .550,they should do well if I can do my part.
Old 10-07-2010, 10:40 PM

Elkhunter11 very nice rifle! Hope you enjoy it and every time you squeeze the trigger, you can smile at those who are jealous of what you have.

Shooter
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.