Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 10-05-2010, 10:16 PM

If it was me, I'd skip buying a new lower end rifle, and go over to GunNutz and check out their EE section, find my son something nice and experienced, good quality. Some great deals to be had over there, check the buyers rating. Just glancing through, and this item would fit the bill nicely for you (and no, I'm not the seller, and don't know him).....

http://www.canadiangunnutz.com/forum...d.php?t=516791

Just my suggestion. If you really do want new though, I'd suggest the Savage of the bunch you have. A good friend just bought one in .243, decent quality for the money.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 10-05-2010, 10:24 PM

try a new Marlin XL7 or a XS7, they have been shooting outstanding with factory ammo, and i believe you can get a blued synthetic for like $389 at NoSaleSports in Edmonton
Old 10-05-2010, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockymtnx View Post
Yes the 700 SPS is a great choice. Yes it is a wee bit more money, but it is money you won’t regret spending. The 770 you mentioned is like the 710. It’s cheap and you get what you pay for. Sadly IMO I think the 770 is just a newer fancier canoe paddle(710). I think 209X50 uses one for pounding his fence posts in. At least with the 700 SPS you will have a rifle that will probably outlast your kid, before he wants to move onto something newer and fancier. Even if he doesn’t want to move on he will at least have a rifle that will last him a LONG time.

There are a few guys here suggesting the Weatherby. Well I am a big Weatherby fan, but I can tell you I wouldn’t touch a vanguard with a 10 foot pole. I just cringe when I hear the name Vanguard.

All in all the of the guns you listed I would take the Savage. If you want to spend a wee bit more (won’t be any more than the Vanguard) look at buying a 700 SPS.
lets here your reasoning as to why the vanguard is so unappealing to you.maybe if you enlightened us as to why you hate the vanguard actions so bad we could understand this negativity .
Old 10-05-2010, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinC 2 View Post
Come on Tyler.The only gun there that is junk is the only one made in china.Vangurd........LOL
Made in China
that does'nt sound good

I know that my old man Does'nt like them.
Old 10-06-2010, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Well I am a big Weatherby fan, but I can tell you I wouldn’t touch a vanguard with a 10 foot pole. I just cringe when I hear the name Vanguard.
On the other hand,the Vanguard is the only Weatherby that I would ever consider owning.Unlike the overpriced Mark V,it offers great value for the price.Accuracy wise,I have found the Vanguards to be more accurate than my Mark Vs,even with the poor triggers.
Old 10-06-2010, 06:10 AM

I believe the Vanguards are made in Japan not China. Not that it really matters.
Old 10-06-2010, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redranger15 View Post
I believe the Vanguards are made in Japan not China. Not that it really matters.
x2

Just shows they don't know what they are talking about. Japanese make some mighty good steel! Besides, I highly doubt a rifle maker that prides itself on their "high end" guns would put their name on a pos. Risking their reputation... course thats what remmington did with the 770...

To the OP I find that most people dislike things "Because the Old Man didn't like them, so they don't like them". And for those who tell you to stay away from an entry level gun, well make sure to ask yourself several questions before you go and drop a few $K on their version of an "acceptable" rifle. 1. Are you certian your kid is interested in shooting? 2. Can you afford it financially? 3. What meets your needs...etc... I would rather get a decent combination of a rifle/scope, then have a great expensive rifle and have no $ for optics to shoot it.

Of your choicesaAll three make a great rifle in their respective line ups. I would stay away from the 770 and go with the 700 if you are wanting to go the remington way. Savage is great, and Weatherby is great. You won't go wrong with one from either 3. Hell an animal can't tell the difference between my Vanguard 30.06 and someones Sako or Browning 30.06. Still drops 'em.
Old 10-06-2010, 09:23 AM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtruckin View Post
x2

Besides, I highly doubt a rifle maker that prides itself on their "high end" guns would put their name on a pos. .
LOL...obviously you haven't checked out the Weatherby pump and semi auto shotguns.........
Old 10-06-2010, 12:50 PM

QUOTE=fordtruckin

To the OP I find that most people dislike things "Because the Old Man didn't like them, so they don't like them".

I would rather get a decent combination of a rifle/scope, then have a great expensive rifle and have no $ for optics to shoot it.

I agree and disagree,my dad hates Vangards,but I Like them,

however on another note your right about an expensive gun and no $$$ for optics.I got a 270wby Lazermark NIB,because I cant afford the scope I want
Old 10-06-2010, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knotter View Post
savage in 7mm-08 gets my vote for a young hunter.
X2
Old 10-06-2010, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Well I am a big Weatherby fan, but I can tell you I wouldn’t touch a vanguard with a 10 foot pole. I just cringe when I hear the name Vanguard.
As a Weatherby fan, you should know that, the Backcountry, is a Vanguard. The Sub Moa, is a Vanguard. Everyone seems to love them, why? Because maybe they are a Vanguard with a fancy stock?
Sittin' here waitin' on a deer, drinkin' beer and wastin' bullets, Aimin' at the empties, missin' hittin' pine trees, It ain't my fault them cans keep movin', My baby's on the phone sayin' baby come home, Where you been and What you've been doin', We'll I've been, sittin' here, waitin' on a deer
Drinkin' beer and wastin' bullets
Old 10-06-2010, 06:10 PM

An observation: several folks have given the thumbs up to the 7mm-08 as a great calibre for a young shooter, and I completely agree. I just took a nice mulie doe (mmmmm sausage!) sunday night with mine at 230 yrds, 140 gr TSX. New rifle for me, and I really like it. However, if money is a bit of an issue for a rifle for the young fellow, be aware that the 7mm-08 round is alot more expensive to shoot than say a .308, .270, .243....if I had checked ammo prices before I bought the 7mm-08....I still would have done It! but for the OP, unless you are a reloader (I just don't have time), be prepared for a premium in ammo prices.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 10-06-2010, 08:43 PM

You can cheap out and spend a little or you can spend a lot.

If your only going to keep the rifle for a year or two and you don't care what you get for a return on your dollar then go cheap.
If however your going to keep the rifle, to pass it on from your son, his son etc. then buy the absolute best you can afford. Even if your not going to keep it, for a long period of time, the more expensive rifle will be worth more, down the road.
Kinda like buying a Mercedes or a neon, you tend to get what you pay for.

just my 2 cents

Shooter
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 10-06-2010, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkaholic6 View Post
As a Weatherby fan, you should know that, the Backcountry, is a Vanguard. The Sub Moa, is a Vanguard. Everyone seems to love them,
Well I sure the heck don't. I will take a Remington 700 over ANY model of Vangaurd anyday.

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Benelli, Sako, Beretta, Tikka, Franchi, Burris, & Steiner
Old 10-07-2010, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetail Junkie View Post
What was the Rifle,
Savage Junk, or Remington Junk?
remington
Old 10-07-2010, 10:48 AM

Quote:

If your only going to keep the rifle for a year or two and you don't care what you get for a return on your dollar then go cheap.
If however your going to keep the rifle, to pass it on from your son, his son etc. then buy the absolute best you can afford. Even if your not going to keep it, for a long period of time, the more expensive rifle will be worth more, down the road.
The best isn't always the most expensive.With some rifles you pay for fancier trim level that in no way makes the gun a better gun.With other guns,you pay extra for a name,which again doesn't necessarily guarantee a better gun.
Old 10-07-2010, 03:26 PM

The Rem 770 is no good....the others, Savage, Vanguard, not much better....it's price thats driving this i assume (reality for a lot of us) if not you'd be talking Tikka or Sako (big $'s), so shop used. The old firearms are superior anyway to the plastic of today...a little extra weight but that won't hurt the youngsters accuracy.
Old 10-08-2010, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.5 shooter View Post

just my 2 cents

Shooter
This is good advice, and the comment above sealed the deal - (along with many great opinions from others here).

The 700SPS "did not fit him" (the feel was just not right) so we spent a few more bucks and will purchase;

Weatherby Mark V Sythetic in 257Wby mag.

A good caliber that can do the job for most big game and not too punishing. Ammo will be a few buck more but ....what the heck - maybe we will start re-loading. I always wanted to do that anyways - a good father son activity on rainy days.

Leopold VX-I 3-9 40mm scope - I'm a big fan of good optics.

Ok so ....$1500 later - the kid is happy and there will be no regrets on buying something too cheap. This is about building memories of his first gun and heck .... what’s another extra $500 when you consider all of that?

I guess there is an old adage .... I can't afford to buy cheap things. I might have "missed the point" when limiting my mind (and budget) to $1000 for his first rifle. The kids are not going to miss any meals because of the extra $500.

After reading the above comment from 6.5 Shooter - how do I explain the BMW in our driveway and give the kid a cheap rifle? - I bought the car for his mom because of the quality, safety, resale and "feel". I spent an extra few bucks ..... so why wouldn’t the same rules apply to something else you buy? I guess I'd be a hypocrite as all my firearms (and optics) are quality pieces and I enjoy them.

I appreciate all the comments and perspectives here - it made this process a little easier for me.

Thanks 6.5 (and others) for snapping me back to reality.
Old 10-08-2010, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
This is good advice, and the comment above sealed the deal - (along with many great opinions from others here).

The 700SPS "did not fit him" (the feel was just not right) so we spent a few more bucks and will purchase;

A good caliber that can do the job for most big game and not too punishing. Ammo will be a few buck more but ....what the heck - maybe we will start re-loading. I always wanted to do that anyways - a good father son activity on rainy days.

Leopold VX-I 3-9 40mm scope - I'm a big fan of good optics.

Ok so ....$1500 later - the kid is happy and there will be no regrets on buying something too cheap. This is about building memories of his first gun and heck .... what’s another extra $500 when you consider all of that?

I guess there is an old adage .... I can't afford to buy cheap things. I might have "missed the point" when limiting my mind (and budget) to $1000 for his first rifle. The kids are not going to miss any meals because of the extra $500.

After reading the above comment from 6.5 Shooter - how do I explain the BMW in our driveway and give the kid a cheap rifle? - I bought the car for his mom because of the quality, safety, resale and "feel". I spent an extra few bucks ..... so why wouldn’t the same rules apply to something else you buy? I guess I'd be a hypocrite as all my firearms (and optics) are quality pieces and I enjoy them.

I appreciate all the comments and perspectives here - it made this process a little easier for me.

Thanks 6.5 (and others) for snapping me back to reality.
He's gonna keep that gun for the rest of his life. I have pretty much the same set up, and it ain't going no where Except mine was $300 more

Weatherby Mark V Fibermark in .25-06 with a Leupold VX-3 4.5-14x40. Gonna be a life long gun for sure.
Sittin' here waitin' on a deer, drinkin' beer and wastin' bullets, Aimin' at the empties, missin' hittin' pine trees, It ain't my fault them cans keep movin', My baby's on the phone sayin' baby come home, Where you been and What you've been doin', We'll I've been, sittin' here, waitin' on a deer
Drinkin' beer and wastin' bullets
Old 10-08-2010, 11:16 AM

[QUOTE=EZM;702019]This is good advice, and the comment above sealed the deal - (along with many great opinions from others here).

QUOTE]

Exellent choice,When I was your son's age my Dad sold my first rifle and bought me a 257 WBY Mag in a Mark V with a Laminate stock.

Going with the Rifle you did was a Smart Choice

Good Luck this Fall
Old 10-08-2010, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Wow that was quite the jump up in spending a few extra dollars. Good choice though IMO. This will be a keeper for a long time and I am sure your son will be very happy.

Now just get ready for the Weatherby bashing.
They cost too much. They are ugly. They feel awful. They don't come with a 1/4" accuracy guarantee. Blaa, Blaa, Blaa.
Welcome to the club!

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Benelli, Sako, Beretta, Tikka, Franchi, Burris, & Steiner
Old 10-08-2010, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Looking at buying a gun for the kid - nothing to pricey. Does anyone have any advice on the following;

Weatherby Vangaurd Synthetic
Remington Sportsman 770
Savage 111 FCXP3
EZM,
Just a suggestion but I would look at the Tikka T3 Lite’s. They are not that expensive and IMHO are much better than any of the other choices you have listed.
Old 10-08-2010, 01:48 PM

Quote:
The 257wby is a nice cartridge,and is a suitable choice,as long as the cost of ammunition or brass,or the fear of shooting out the barrel,doesn't keep you from practising on a regular basis.
Old 10-08-2010, 08:26 PM

Remington 710 and 770 are almost junk. They do go bang so they may not be uterly useless.

Vanguards are nice to shoot but I find the triggers have a bit of creep which is unacceptable to me.

I would take the Savage.

7mm08 is great choice. Also .270 with 130 grain bullets isn't that bad to shoot.