Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 10-05-2010, 09:43 AM

Default Weatherby, Remington or Savage which one?

Looking at buying a gun for the kid - nothing to pricey. Does anyone have any advice on the following;

Weatherby Vangaurd Synthetic
Remington Sportsman 770
Savage 111 FCXP3
Old 10-05-2010, 09:51 AM

Vanguard or Savage avoid the Remington
Old 10-05-2010, 09:52 AM

Savages have great out of box accuracy and are usually decently priced. Have heard alot of complaints about the remington 770's and have no experience with the weatherby so will not give you an opinion on it.
Old 10-05-2010, 10:02 AM

Instead of a Remington 770, have you considered a Remington 700 SPS?

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Benelli, Sako, Beretta, Tikka, Franchi, Burris, & Steiner
Old 10-05-2010, 10:03 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
- nothing to pricey.
The Savage will be the least expensive rifle to purchase. I hunt with them and I've not had any problems. I didn't take the time to look up the model Savage that you posted but one with an Accutrigger is a good idea so you can adjust the trigger. The package deal is a pretty good bargain for someone just starting out.

I've heard stories about problems with the trigger creep on the Vanguard and a few people on here have stated problems with the Rem but I'll let someone more in the know comment on that as I don't have any experience with either.
Old 10-05-2010, 10:05 AM

I have a Vanguard synthetic in 30.06 that I purchased over the Remmington 770. The action is alot smoother on the vanguard than it was on the 770. So far I have no complaints over the rifle. I know alot of guys give crap about weatherby rifles for whatever reason but for an entry level rifle Guaranteed 1.5" groups is pretty dang good in my books. (Hell half the time people can't shoot tighter than that anyways) The vanguard does have an adjustable trigger and a floorplate but a dropbox mag is available now. I believe it also comes with Scope rings, mine did anyways. The Remington? well it left a lot to feel desired in my opinion. It just felt alot cheaper, and that bolt cycled like molasses in winter... Not smooth what so ever. It does however come with a factory boresighted 3x9x40. It sits at 4+1 rounds for standard where as the Weatherby is 5+1...(not that you should ever need that many) As for Savage, I like their accutrigger but other than that have never really don't know much about them other than they have been around for a long time.

Thats been my experience between at least 2 of your choices. What calibre are you looking for and how old is your kid?

The best advice I know is to take he/she out and let them handle the different rifles and find the one that fits them the best.
Old 10-05-2010, 10:29 AM

Weatherby
Old 10-05-2010, 10:32 AM

My kid is 14 - so I'm looking at something "not to punishing" like a .308, .270 and maybe a .30-06. A good "all around caliber". He's a pretty solid kid so the .30-06 should'nt be a problem. He has shot my 300Wby and not complained too much.

Primarily drivers are price and decent quality with enough versatility to hunt most Alberta big game.

The 700 SPS looks interesting - price is decent too but will leave a little less room in the budget for optics, rings, bases and other add ons. The package deals are a great price - but for a couple hundred more bucks a 700 SPS is maybe worth it.

Remington has been good to me but I have not purchased a new one in years and I've heard too many poor opionions on them recently - making me a bit timid.
Old 10-05-2010, 10:32 AM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fast4uRuss View Post
Vanguard or Savage avoid the Remington
Yup, I agree. Hard to go wrong with a Savage from that list.
Old 10-05-2010, 10:46 AM

Can't go wrong with a Savage. I have lots of them. Never did me any wrong. I don't care for Remingtons and I have no experiance with Weatherby so I can't comment on them.

Joe
Old 10-05-2010, 10:50 AM

Check this thread out. I said Weatherby. http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=69436

Look at this http://ca.wholesalesports.com/storef...rod225764.html
Old 10-05-2010, 10:51 AM

Quote:

The 700 SPS looks interesting - price is decent too but will leave a little less room in the budget for optics, rings, bases and other add ons. The package deals are a great price - but for a couple hundred more bucks a 700 SPS is maybe worth it.

Remington has been good to me but I have not purchased a new one in years and I've heard too many poor opionions on them recently - making me a bit timid.
What do you guys think between the Savage and the 700 sps? I'm looking for a gun right now as well for my daughter and would like to hear what you guys think?
Old 10-05-2010, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocks View Post
What do you guys think between the Savage and the 700 sps? I'm looking for a gun right now as well for my daughter and would like to hear what you guys think?

Vanguard has a youth model that comes with the full size stock for change out when they grow.
Old 10-05-2010, 11:04 AM

savage in 7mm-08 gets my vote for a young hunter.
Old 10-05-2010, 11:18 AM

Why not a Stevens 200
Old 10-05-2010, 11:32 AM

Default package = junk

you get what you pay for with "package rifles".i would never buy one again,,all cheap junk,,spend the extra 200-300 and get the kid something decent or buy a good used one. i have six boys and bought one of those packages deals for one boy, scope was junk wouldn't hold zero,cheapest mounts ever,wouldn't put them on a bb gun,in the end spent more fixing than gun was worth,ie new mounts new scope,plastic trigger guard broke off so new stock .to top it all off this was during huntin season,very frustrating to son. all im saying is its worth spending the money for quality rig for your son or daughter and not letting junk ruin or hinder their first or second time out.
Old 10-05-2010, 02:53 PM

Rem..700 sps good solid rifle..have the 7mm 08 youth kicks a bit...don,t do the rem 770..savage real accurate..weatherby vanguard , i love to pieces
Old 10-05-2010, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Yes the 700 SPS is a great choice. Yes it is a wee bit more money, but it is money you won’t regret spending. The 770 you mentioned is like the 710. It’s cheap and you get what you pay for. Sadly IMO I think the 770 is just a newer fancier canoe paddle(710). I think 209X50 uses one for pounding his fence posts in. At least with the 700 SPS you will have a rifle that will probably outlast your kid, before he wants to move onto something newer and fancier. Even if he doesn’t want to move on he will at least have a rifle that will last him a LONG time.

There are a few guys here suggesting the Weatherby. Well I am a big Weatherby fan, but I can tell you I wouldn’t touch a vanguard with a 10 foot pole. I just cringe when I hear the name Vanguard.

All in all the of the guns you listed I would take the Savage. If you want to spend a wee bit more (won’t be any more than the Vanguard) look at buying a 700 SPS.

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Old 10-05-2010, 04:19 PM

Quote:
My kid is 14 - so I'm looking at something "not to punishing" like a .308, .270 and maybe a .30-06. A good "all around caliber". He's a pretty solid kid so the .30-06 should'nt be a problem. He has shot my 300Wby and not complained too much.

Primarily drivers are price and decent quality with enough versatility to hunt most Alberta big game.

I got a Savage 111 in 30.06 when I was 13, and developed a flinch from it. I recently got rid of it. It was between that and the Weatherby Vanguard, preferred the Weatherby but Dad didnt want to spend much on my first rifle. I now have a Weatherby Mark V in 25-06 and my Savage 30-06 (bush gun). People bash Savages call them junk blah blah blah. For a starter gun, and the price, hell they are quality for the price ha. Remingtons are heavy and feel like junk in my hands, but hey to each their own. Not gonna go wrong with the Savage or Weatherby.
Sittin' here waitin' on a deer, drinkin' beer and wastin' bullets, Aimin' at the empties, missin' hittin' pine trees, It ain't my fault them cans keep movin', My baby's on the phone sayin' baby come home, Where you been and What you've been doin', We'll I've been, sittin' here, waitin' on a deer
Drinkin' beer and wastin' bullets
Old 10-05-2010, 06:10 PM

I have the Savage 111 .270 and it's been an awesom gun. You can't beat it for the price. It comes with a detachable magazine, and a nice recoil pad so your son should be able to handle it. Never had any problems with the scope although it is something I'm planning on changing out by next hunting season just because I want something a bit more heavy duty on there.

My advice is to go down to your local gun dealer and check out all three guns and compare there quality to price factor. Also remember with the Vanguard you'll need to factor in at least 200 for rings bases and a scope.

Anyways happy shopping and hope you find something that the kid likes that's within your budget.
Old 10-05-2010, 06:38 PM

Avoid the 770 like the plague.Howa rifles like the Howa 1500,or the Vanguard offer good value for the price as does Savage and Stevens.As for a 1-1/2" accuracy guarantee,it certainly isn't a big deal to better that,even with lower end rifles.
Old 10-05-2010, 07:43 PM

QUOTE=Elkaholic6 People bash Savages call them junk blah blah blah.

Your a Weatherby Man Now,Time to Trash that 30-06 savage and buy another Weatherby
Old 10-05-2010, 07:52 PM

Default Weatherby...

7mm-08....
Old 10-05-2010, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2hunt View Post
you get what you pay for with "package rifles".i would never buy one again,,all cheap junk,,spend the extra 200-300 and get the kid something decent or buy a good used one. i have six boys and bought one of those packages deals for one boy, scope was junk wouldn't hold zero,cheapest mounts ever,wouldn't put them on a bb gun,in the end spent more fixing than gun was worth,ie new mounts new scope,plastic trigger guard broke off so new stock .to top it all off this was during huntin season,very frustrating to son. all im saying is its worth spending the money for quality rig for your son or daughter and not letting junk ruin or hinder their first or second time out.
What was the Rifle,
Savage Junk, or Remington Junk?
Old 10-05-2010, 08:41 PM
Banned

SPS gets my vote.
Savage, never had one, probably never will. Vangaurd's trigger was brutal last I handled one.
Old 10-05-2010, 09:36 PM

i have savage rifles and one weatherby and no complaints with either my weatherby vanguard .243 ,it will put three bullets less than 1 inch (if i do my part) and will be getting my son one in a couple of years and my daughter later on, but would not turn down a savage ,they have served me well.just my 2 cents.
Old 10-05-2010, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deer Hunter View Post
Vangaurd's trigger was brutal last I handled one.
I can vouch for that. $225 later and it was almost as good as the stock 700 Rem trigger.

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Old 10-05-2010, 09:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockymtnx View Post
I can vouch for that. $225 later and it was almost as good as the stock 700 Rem trigger.
$100 for a rifle basix or $125 for a timmeny. and you are 100% better than any stock trigger. I would stay away from the vangaurd. The stock is brutal.I know someone who baught one and the stock warped as he shot.So not free floating and shot like crap.The remington sps is the best action,and most upgrades later on.Or even true it up and rebarrel later in life.Savage is the most accurate by far out of the box. But like rocky stated the Rem sps is around $500 and a great little gun for a starter gun.I would reccomend going in and getting the person who is going to be shooting this gun to see with he/she like the feal of the most.
Old 10-05-2010, 09:49 PM

Another one to consider would be the TC Venture. They have the same moa garuantee as the icon and are very well built and very affordable and I've read some very good things about them. A good quality used rifle could be the way to go as well. If you look around you can find a decent rifle scope combo for about the same money as a "package" deal yet be futher ahead with a quality rifle.best of luck in your search.
Old 10-05-2010, 09:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetail Junkie View Post
What was the Rifle,
Savage Junk, or Remington Junk?
Come on Tyler.The only gun there that is junk is the only one made in china.Vangurd........LOL