Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-15-2022, 05:15 PM

Default Boating in rivers questions

So I am looking into upgrading to jet boat for fishing rivers ( mainly looking at Red Deer River below Tolman bridge, South SR, Oldman river, lower Bow River and have a few questions. Is it legal to go anywhere on the rivers where boat can go or there are some locations where it is illegal to use motorized boats? How about if river goes through native reservation land - can I go through that or this is a big no? Where can I find info on boat launches in above mentioned rivers? Is it legal to fish from the boat in the river at night? Any other tips for starting exploring and fishing these rivers from the boat? Thanks in advance!
Old 07-15-2022, 07:45 PM

Make sure you have the right boat for what you want to do. Lots of designs to choose from. Day trips, overnight trips or weekend trips, makes a difference what kind of boat you need. If your going to do the SSR & the Oldman, full teflon is a must. Almost all rock bottom in theses rivers. I ran a 16ft Outlaw with a 175 merc. and full teflon on it. It was a great day trip boat for shallow water on the Oldman. And you will be hitting rocks on the Oldman. Jet boats are heart pumping fun, in the shallow water.
Old 07-15-2022, 08:33 PM

Almost all rivers in Alberta are 'navigable waters'. Inside parks & a few cities might be a no-no otherwise if it floats go for it.

You can, you should, & if you're brave enough to start, you will. Stephen King
Old 07-16-2022, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roper1 View Post
Almost all rivers in Alberta are 'navigable waters'. Inside parks & a few cities might be a no-no otherwise if it floats go for it.
Isn’t part of the Lower Bow below Carsland FN owned and one can’t fish there? I thought I heard that somewhere.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 07-16-2022, 02:59 PM

You do need written permission to boat on First Nation's land. The Bow and the Oldman go threw some F.N. land. Shore line access is another touchy subject. It's NOT 100 yards up from the high water mark. It is where the river bottom changes to vegetation. Nothing to do with high water marks.
Old 07-16-2022, 04:50 PM

If you float the old man through Brocket you are going to find difficulty navigating the Brocket stretch without those citizens okay$.
Old 07-16-2022, 09:57 PM

Yes, reserves, military bases, & a couple others I believe. I guess I assumed which I shouldn't have.

You can, you should, & if you're brave enough to start, you will. Stephen King
Old 07-18-2022, 11:11 AM

Thank you all for your answers. Still looking for some info on boat launches in those rivers?
Old 07-18-2022, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK47 View Post
Thank you all for your answers. Still looking for some info on boat launches in those rivers?
The Old man river has a launch up near the dam but you are limited to where you can go because of the reserve not too far down stream. There is also a launch in the city of Lethbridge down near the weir. I also know that there is a launch just north of Taber on the north side of the river. The other launch I know of on that river system is right at the forks. I have heard of guys launching in or near Medicine hat as well so there must be somewhere to launch around there.
Old 07-18-2022, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK47 View Post
Where can I find info on boat launches in above mentioned rivers? Is it legal to fish from the boat in the river at night?!
Backroads Mapbooks

Yes.