Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 02-13-2017, 12:38 PM

Default Group Draw Dilemma

Hi all,

Hoping someone can possibly clear a question I have about a group draw. Long story short, 4 of us have being putting in for a mule deer tag for the past 6 years. From the research I've done on the draw results page it looks like we should be a shoe in to get the draw this year.

Now for the dilemma. I found out over the weekend that a wedding I have being asked to be the best man in has being moved to Mexico the 18-25 of November. This is about the exact time we planned on going on our mule deer hunt. With work it is impossible to take 1/2 of more of the month of November off. Is it possible for one group member to 999 their selection and the other three can still apply. I would hate to lose this tag opprutunity but some things come before other in life. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

DR
Old 02-13-2017, 12:51 PM

Yes you can. 999 yours.
Old 02-13-2017, 12:54 PM

You can change your group draw every year or go solo, every year is a new drew with lots of options...
Old 02-13-2017, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinyotes View Post
Yes you can. 999 yours.
This ^^^^ your pals will hunt this year and you next, unless they wait for you
Old 02-13-2017, 02:54 PM

Id be telling the guy getting married to get his priorities straight.
Old 02-13-2017, 03:00 PM

Although the lowest priority in the group sets the priority for the group, whether you apply by yourself or as a group has no effect on your priority, or on anyone else's individual priority.
Old 02-13-2017, 03:56 PM

Thanks for the info. I don't want to hold them back from their hunt so it looks as if I will be going solo next season.

Sharpie, I mentioned to him the poor timing. The better half may have more say in the matter then I do in this case.

DR
Old 02-13-2017, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangerranger5143 View Post
Thanks for the info. I don't want to hold them back from their hunt so it looks as if I will be going solo next season.

Sharpie, I mentioned to him the poor timing. The better half may have more say in the matter then I do in this case.

DR
You do know that if you don't apply with them it doesn't screw up the draw for them - right? You can apply separate and 999 it so you can draw next year if this year is going to be iffy. The group priority, as mentioned earlier, is determined by the lowest priority applicant in the group.
On the other hand if you wait till next year to draw that will put you one year behind your buddies and they may not like losing a year to wait for you.
Old 02-13-2017, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpie View Post
Id be telling the guy getting married to get his priorities straight.
The worst part about the timing is that his anniversary will be at prime hunting time every ýear. I hope for his sake that he is not a hunter himself. My wife would be sooo mad that I would never be home for our anniversary ever unless I tagged out early lol.

Now I look around and wonder if I like them!
Old 02-13-2017, 05:35 PM

PartTime, that is what I was wondering. I do not want to screw the draw up for them. I'm more then willing to 999 my selection and they can proceed as planned. What I forgot to mention is that this will likely be the last tags drawn in this WMU for half of the group as two of us have gotten new hunting opprutunites elsewhere in the province.

Also, the groom is a big time hunter. This all came as a shock to me when he told me the location and date. I thought there was an unwritten code among the hunting community that marriage can be saved for the other 11 months of the year. It's tough but sometimes life throws curveballs at you.

DR
Old 02-13-2017, 07:02 PM

Quote:
PartTime, that is what I was wondering. I do not want to screw the draw up for them. I'm more then willing to 999 my selection and they can proceed as planned. What I forgot to mention is that this will likely be the last tags drawn in this WMU for half of the group as two of us have gotten new hunting opprutunites elsewhere in the province.

Also, the groom is a big time hunter. This all came as a shock to me when he told me the location and date. I thought there was an unwritten code among the hunting community that marriage can be saved for the other 11 months of the year. It's tough but sometimes life throws curveballs at you.

DR
To your last point - it should be! He should know better'n that. Time for him to put his foot down now! or be lost forever lol.

You guys could all decide to split your apps and apply individually and it wouldn't alter your numbers. Your application isn't tied to a particular WMU either. Some require a higher priority than others to get in that is all. I only put in for one WMU and for now am happy to wait till it comes around to my turn but I could have three years backed up applying in my zone and next year get an opportunity to hunt elsewhere and those three years go on my next app. Hope that makes sense
Old 02-13-2017, 08:20 PM

Quote:
To your last point - it should be! He should know better'n that. Time for him to put his foot down now! or be lost forever lol.

You guys could all decide to split your apps and apply individually and it wouldn't alter your numbers. Your application isn't tied to a particular WMU either. Some require a higher priority than others to get in that is all. I only put in for one WMU and for now am happy to wait till it comes around to my turn but I could have three years backed up applying in my zone and next year get an opportunity to hunt elsewhere and those three years go on my next app. Hope that makes sense
I feel as if he may be lost forever. Lol

That was going to be my next question. If I have 7 years in forbthis draw is it possible to 999 it this year, as time in November will be limited and put it towards a different WMU come 2018. From your explanation it sounds like I should be able to.

DR
Old 02-13-2017, 09:17 PM

Quote:

That was going to be my next question. If I have 7 years in forbthis draw is it possible to 999 it this year, as time in November will be limited and put it towards a different WMU come 2018. From your explanation it sounds like I should be able to.

DR
Priority is based on the draw code, not on the wmu that you apply for.
Old 02-13-2017, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Priority is based on the draw code, not on the wmu that you apply for.
I understand that. I have 7 years with draw code 13 - Antlered Mule Deer in WMU A. What I was trying to get at is I can change it to WMU B without any issues.

DR
Old 02-13-2017, 10:27 PM

You have the 7 years priority under draw code 13. Your priority can be used to apply for a draw in any wmu. It's not attached to the wmu that you've already been applying in.
Old 02-13-2017, 10:49 PM

Quote:
I understand that. I have 7 years with draw code 13 - Antlered Mule Deer in WMU A. What I was trying to get at is I can change it to WMU B without any issues.

DR
Apparently you don't understand. You have 7 years priority for draw code 13, the wmu that you have been applying for is irrelevant as far as the priority is concerned. You could have applied for a different wmu every year, and your priority would still be the same.
Old 02-13-2017, 11:37 PM

Quote:

DR
Correct. Just as elkhunter has written here. The priority is on the draw code not the wmu. And again, you can split off from the group and NOT adversely affect their or your priority.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Apparently you don't understand. You have 7 years priority for draw code 13, the wmu that you have been applying for is irrelevant as far as the priority is concerned. You could have applied for a different wmu every year, and your priority would still be the same.
Old 02-14-2017, 08:57 PM

Thanks all,

It all makes sense now. Everyone in the group has being informed and they all had the same reaction as most of the members on here. "Really! His wedding is in prime time November! Does he not know better?"

Oh well, gotta take life as it comes at you and roll with it.

DR