Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 05-19-2013, 09:03 AM

Default Spey Setup Question

Just wondering if anyone out there uses Rio Versitip Spey? I am wondering if I can use the Spey Versitip with the Rio Versitip 2 main body? Or do I get a level running line instead?
Old 05-19-2013, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikezilk View Post
Just wondering if anyone out there uses Rio Versitip Spey? I am wondering if I can use the Spey Versitip with the Rio Versitip 2 main body? Or do I get a level running line instead?
I mean you can. But you have to make sure that you have the grain weight for your rod. And I'm not seeing any VersiTip II over 10wt... The profile of the line looks very much like a traditional spey line. I don't know if it would have enough power to turn over the sinking tips 18' body. If you already have it, it's worth a try. But personally I would just buy running line and a skagit or scandi head.
Old 05-19-2013, 01:22 PM

Rio Versitip is really made for the line system. They will work on other lines as I do have the system in type 1. Like Albertafisher said though they do have to match in weight. You can cut them down to fit. There's nothing like a good scale to weigh your heads and front end to zone them in. I also use skagit or scandi heads as I prefer that style of casting.

My blog - casting on the waters

fishing regulations and facts on fish handling
Fishing Regulations
Old 05-19-2013, 05:41 PM

I have the rod, reel with backing on. I also bought the Unispey Versitip. I also have 8wt versitip sinking tips. I was wondering if I could use that as my running line. My main reason is that I could them take the unispey tip off and put one of the others on and be able to use the rod and reel for surfcasting.
Old 05-19-2013, 08:37 PM

Quote:
I have the rod, reel with backing on. I also bought the Unispey Versitip. I also have 8wt versitip sinking tips. I was wondering if I could use that as my running line. My main reason is that I could them take the unispey tip off and put one of the others on and be able to use the rod and reel for surfcasting.
You definitely could, I'm sorry I misunderstood your original question. If your setup is a 6wt+ spey setup (minimum 390 grains), then throwing single-hand 8wt tips (less than 310 grains) shouldn't be too much of an issue. It all comes down to grain weight, if you understand grains it will be easy to understand what you can and cannot use for your setup.
Old 05-19-2013, 10:12 PM

cool... so now the questions is... can I attach the 540 gr unispey tip to the versitip II running line? It has somewhat of a taper and I dont want to overload the rod.
Old 05-19-2013, 11:51 PM

Quote:
cool... so now the questions is... can I attach the 540 gr unispey tip to the versitip II running line? It has somewhat of a taper and I dont want to overload the rod.
Hmm, it might be a bit awkward to find a load point since there is already a taper with the versitip line. And there is potential for overloading the rod. I would just be worried about casting performance since there would be weird tapers meeting. If I were you, I'd just buy running line ($30-50), and have the unispey as the shooting head. I hope this answers your question