Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 05-07-2013, 04:30 PM

Default otters eating habits?

Last weekend I went fishing in the foothills and after a hike found a nice beaver pond with a couple of HUGE trouts in it, easily around the 15-20 inch mark, but no small ones. They weren't interested in any of my flies (aside from the single bite of the day that went ping as I must have made a weak knot...) and hardly moved, maybe because of the bright sunshine, maybe because of the colder water.
Anyway, as I was looking for a new fly to try, this otter (no it wasn't a beaver nor a muskrat...) swam pass, saw me, then swam back to safety. I saw it later on further along the pond.
Do otters eat big trouts?! The pond wasn't teaming with small fish so I'm wondering if the otter had a few good meals with its family and hasn't gone for the big ones, yet...
Old 05-07-2013, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucky View Post
Last weekend I went fishing in the foothills and after a hike found a nice beaver pond with a couple of HUGE trouts in it, easily around the 15-20 inch mark, but no small ones. They weren't interested in any of my flies (aside from the single bite of the day that went ping as I must have made a weak knot...) and hardly moved, maybe because of the bright sunshine, maybe because of the colder water.
Anyway, as I was looking for a new fly to try, this otter (no it wasn't a beaver nor a muskrat...) swam pass, saw me, then swam back to safety. I saw it later on further along the pond.
Do otters eat big trouts?! The pond wasn't teaming with small fish so I'm wondering if the otter had a few good meals with its family and hasn't gone for the big ones, yet...
Yes they do eat fish, those fish are in trouble.
Old 05-07-2013, 08:45 PM

mhmm... I'm really gonna have to find the right flies for catching them before they get eaten by an otter then!
Old 05-07-2013, 08:58 PM

I've seen quite a few in the crow before.. saw one just a few weeks ago actually. Usually when you see one, it's time to move to a different hole...
Old 05-07-2013, 09:50 PM

These fish looked amazing, it was like watching a wild life documentary... I really hope these otter don't eat them all by next Saturday, it's the first time I see such beautiful trouts that close and that clear!
Old 05-08-2013, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucky View Post
These fish looked amazing, it was like watching a wild life documentary... I really hope these otter don't eat them all by next Saturday, it's the first time I see such beautiful trouts that close and that clear!
Champion lakes do have a couple bruisers cruising around in them lol
Old 05-08-2013, 01:29 PM

seen 4 at ironside.wastefull buggers..ma/pa each caught a bow,shared it with the younguns.they ate the heads of the fish ,left the rest.scented the area[skunk family members].good thing i didn't have a pee shooter.i did try to chase them north towards cow lk.where it's polluted with perch
Old 05-09-2013, 02:21 PM

I'll be back there this saturday, keeping my fingers crossed but my hope is low... At least it's a nice walk and it'll be sunny...
Old 05-11-2013, 09:26 AM

There was a biologist in rockey mountain house that was looking for otter sighting reports, the thread was on this forum.I'll try to find more information.
Old 05-11-2013, 09:36 AM

here we go:

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showt...ighlight=otter