Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 10-06-2010, 09:19 PM

Default 7.62 x 51 good?

Hi guys,

did anyone here ever use this caliber for elk-size game hunting? thinking to get a Norinco M-14 semi.

Where can I get this caliber ammo?

thanks
Old 10-06-2010, 09:32 PM

You mean .308 Win.?

Grizz
Old 10-06-2010, 09:32 PM

you can buy 308 winchester, AKA 7.62 x 51 nato ammo just about anywhere. The cheap Mil surp stuff is getting harder and harder to find, and if you do find it they still want about a $1 a round. Reload it.
Old 10-06-2010, 10:04 PM

It is fine for elk sized game.... Works great on people too for that matter...lol
Old 10-07-2010, 03:46 AM

The m14 would work but is not a great choice for hunting Elk or larger game. The 308win is a perfectly capable cartridge for elk in a suitable rifle but the m14 does not like heavier bullets (known to break receivers with heavy stuff) and it is also not the most accurate rifle out there unless you spend big bucks on one. It would work if you could get yourself close enough that the lack of accuracy was less of an issue but for hunting I would limit it to deer hunting where your chances of getting within 100 meters is more likely. With a scope most of them are capable of doing around 2-3 inch groups at 100 meters but that opens up quickly with distance, especially with the iron sights.

The m14 is a fun gun to shoot and I own one myself and am very happy with it but I wouldn't want it as my go to rifle for hunting.

As stated earlier 308win aka 7.62x51 is very easy to find and can be had for $20/box up to around $50 for the premium stuff. For the same price of an m14 you can get a nice bolt action rifle that is much better suited to hunting.

The m14 is also a little pricy to shoot if you are thinking of having a fun gun that you can also use for hunting. Count on spending over $100 on ammo for an afternoon of playing at the range with a semi automatic.
For hunting and fun I would suggest a nice basic bolt action rifle and scope combo for hunting and a 22 rimfire or 223rem aka 5.56x45 aka 5.56 NATO for playing in order to keep ammo costs down. Or to keep costs really low and still having a centerfire look at getting an SKS, the rifle can be had for under $200 and for another $250ish you can get 1100 rounds of ammo (no hunting with the cheap FMJ's though).

Good luck which ever way you decide to go.

Unless you can travel 1000 meters in 1.4 seconds you can't outrun my Lapua

1000 rounds minimum for every gun! You have to be ready when the zombies come.
Old 10-07-2010, 06:33 AM
Banned

I have a .308 and can get real good groups with my Savage FP10 at 200 meters, a very capable cartridge as long as it's in an accurate rifle. If you're after accuracy for hunting, Stay away from the Norinco M-14. As far as I'm concerned, they aren't accurate enough to hunt with.
Old 10-07-2010, 07:25 AM

Default Norchinko

These M305 Chinese guns are nice looking but if their as accurate as my Norchinko SKS you better be within 50 yards of that elk!
Old 10-07-2010, 07:38 AM

Default 308

Will the 308 kill elk? Of course it will but there are better rounds out there. The problem is the Norinco idea. Bad one. Have you ever considered a Rem 700 or a Sako 85 ? Now that is a good idea.
Old 10-07-2010, 10:14 AM

[QUOTE=CR5;700923]the m14 does not like heavier bullets (known to break receivers with heavy stuff) and it is also not the most accurate rifle out there unless you spend big bucks on one. It would work if you could get yourself close enough that the lack of accuracy was less of an issue but for hunting I would limit it to deer hunting where your chances of getting within 100 meters is more likely. With a scope most of them are capable of doing around 2-3 inch groups at 100 meters but that opens up quickly with distance, especially with the iron sights.
QUOTE]

Not accurate? Thats got to be a Norinco thing because the one's I've seen used as designated marksman rifles are quite accurate... and if there is one thing about the military everything, and I mean EVERYTHING is always the lowest Bidder! So I don't expect they spend a whole heck of alot of $$ upgrading them.... Anyways I'm not arguing against what your saying cause you have one, but I'm saying it honestly surprise me about their accuracy....
Old 10-07-2010, 07:37 PM

Fordtruckin,
I would consider them to be quite accurate for a battle rifle but that does not make them a good hunting rifle.

The ones used in the military as designated marksman rifles are usually Springfields and are far from stock, if you look through the prices for accurizing them the parts may not be overly high but the gunsmithing costs are what will get you, plus you need to take it to a smith that is familiar with the m14 in order to get much out of it. Just not really worth spending more than double the cost of the rifle just to try to get it down to 1 moa. Some may luck out and get one that is 1 moa right out of the box but I would think that would be rare and you would have to handload for it to get there.

Mine had a trigger job done by the previous owner and is very nice to shoot, I will spend my money on extra mags and large amounts of ammunition rather than try to make it more accurate.
The way it is now I can put 5 shots on paper at 100m with relatively fast shots and the iron sights and that is good enough for me. I may take it out and get a deer with it this year but I wouldn't use it on elk.

The original poster never mentioned any other intentions other than to kill elk and never mentioned anything about what his budget is so I will suggest that for the same money you can get a very nice bolt action hunting rifle that is much more suitable for taking down big game.
Try looking into Savage rifles, I have a couple now and they shoot well and are very reasonable pricewise.

Unless you can travel 1000 meters in 1.4 seconds you can't outrun my Lapua

1000 rounds minimum for every gun! You have to be ready when the zombies come.
Old 10-07-2010, 07:58 PM

My M-305 is a nice rifle, and pretty accurate.

I guess I could hunt with it -- but only if it didn't weigh 12 lbs unloaded. It is a heavy gun.