Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 05-06-2010, 09:25 PM

Default 303 Brittish

I've got 2 303's that I want to sell, but have no idea what the value of them would be. One is from 1917, the other is from 1944 and has a bushnell scope. Any ideas? I will try to post pics tomorrow. My camera is being a pain in the ***** tonight.
Old 05-06-2010, 10:08 PM

If they have been sporterized in any way probably less than $200, last ones I saw had very nice metal but chopped stocks for $150 and I think they are still on the rack at the store.
Old 05-06-2010, 10:43 PM

I second that, a sporter Lee Enfield would go for ~$150. If the '44 is a No.4 Mk I (T) I'd give you $300
Old 05-06-2010, 10:57 PM

Not worth much, as the guys are saying-sporterized, Lee Enfields are only worth a good price ($300-600 or more) if they are original, in good shape, numbers matching units. Or rare(r) like a No. 5 Mk. 1 jungle carbine, or a issued sniper model assembled by H&H (would that be the T, Mr. Turtlewolf? ) those suckers are worth a good bit. At least, that's what i figure.....
Old 05-07-2010, 08:38 AM

I do beleive the (T) was a sniper model yes. But pending pictures and with the after market scope I doubt it is, it may be an Australian or Indian Mark 3. Or have I remembered wrong and India was the only one used Mark 3 Enfields in WW2?
Old 05-07-2010, 01:37 PM

india and australia both used the #1's through WW2, everybody else used the "new" #4 design.

if your's is a #4 i might be interested in buying from you, but there are some other questions that i will have about it.

thanks,

matt
Old 05-07-2010, 05:36 PM

Yah pics would be nice I might be interested in another Lee Enfield
Old 05-07-2010, 07:39 PM

Here's a picture. Can send more if you want.
Old 05-07-2010, 08:47 PM
Gone Hunting

A little off topic but.

I have a son in law who wants to start hunting. He is in the Canadian Military reserve and has been to Afghanistan for a tour of duty (I always say he was on holidays in the middle east but he doesn't think it is much of a joke).

He has a degree in Canadian military history and is now doing a masters in same.

I thought it may be interesting for him to hunt with a 303 British as it was Canada's (and the commonwealth) military issue rifle for so long.

On the one hand I would like it fairly "original" and on the other hand I would like it to be a "decent" hunting rifle.

I guess that means "still looks like a military piece but a good shooter".

I will not be back in Canada till next Dec, and will start looking for something then.

Interesting thing here in Australia, it seems fairly common for guys to wildcat old enfields into 303/.25. (and they call them that instead of .25/303 like we usually would)

Archery Sept. 1 - Oct. 31 Muzzleloader and Crossbow Oct. 1 - Oct. 31 Rifle Nov. 25 - Nov. 30

...And HIS kingdom shall have no end...
Old 05-07-2010, 09:13 PM

That No.4 looks like a Parker Hale that I have, similar front sight same barrel length. Sadly in the painted condition it's value is greatly reduced even though they generaly go for less than $200 I'm going to say that $150 for either one wouldn't be a bad price, let me know if you are interested in that. Regretfully sportered Enfields have little to no value at all.
Old 05-09-2010, 03:47 PM

Plus someone put the wrong side mount on it drilling an extra hole for the weaver setup................Harold