Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 04-03-2010, 09:00 PM

Thumbs up Broke down bought a savage

Went out on monday and purchased a >17 hmr 93 in left hand ( I know it's the wrong hand I've been told) And to my amazement it shot just under a quarter inch group with 5 rounds at 100 yards very impressed with this thing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P4030022.JPG (15.3 KB, 209 views)
Old 04-03-2010, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The cooter View Post
Went out on monday and purchased a >17 hmr 93 in left hand ( I know it's the wrong hand I've been told) And to my amazement it shot just under a quarter inch group with 5 rounds at 100 yards very impressed with this thing.
Nice Target Cooter. Those savages never cease to amaze me. Just might have to get one once my wallet recovers from my trip to the gun show
Old 04-03-2010, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetailhntr View Post
Nice Target Cooter. Those savages never cease to amaze me. Just might have to get one once my wallet recovers from my trip to the gun show
Notice he only showed the target though, he must still be feeling some of the shame of purchasing the Savage to post pics of the gun.
Old 04-03-2010, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawfy View Post
Notice he only showed the target though, he must still be feeling some of the shame of purchasing the Savage to post pics of the gun.
Ya I'm still hearing it from my buddy's..... pic's of the gun soon.
Old 04-04-2010, 06:07 AM

Recently sold a left hand exactly the same as the one you bought. It shot great too. The only reason I sold it was I had two left hand 17s and kept the CZ because it is prettier and shoots about as well as the Savage. You will really enjoy that gun and cartridge for wacking gophers.

Any one who gives you a hard time for buying Savages has never shot one.
Price for accuracy they are very hard to beat. Fit and finnish, they are no Cooper, but they don't cost like one either. I would say the centre fires now compete with Remington, Winchester etc for fit and finnish, and are still generally priced below them. Have fun with the new gun.
Old 04-04-2010, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Recently sold a left hand exactly the same as the one you bought. It shot great too. The only reason I sold it was I had two left hand 17s and kept the CZ because it is prettier and shoots about as well as the Savage. You will really enjoy that gun and cartridge for wacking gophers.

Price for accuracy they are very hard to beat. Fit and finnish, they are no Cooper, but they don't cost like one either. I would say the centre fires now compete with Remington, Winchester etc for fit and finnish, and are still generally priced below them. Have fun with the new gun.
The guy's that give me a hard time are doing it in fun, As I not to long ago started a thread on I hate weatherby's and most guy's missed the first line that said I was bored. Any ways I was lipppin off about tikka's, So guy's like to have a little fun with me. But I'm easy going and don't mind taking a ribbin. I was trollin the day I posted the weatherby thread as 12 hours in the control room is a tough thing to do some days.As for the gun your right unreal capabilities with it can't wait to get in the zone maybe I can put up a little closer group but not by much as that's pretty tight already!
Old 04-04-2010, 08:09 AM

Nice shootin Cooter! Can't wait to put my CZ up against your Savage, see if it will shoot comparably
Old 04-04-2010, 08:16 AM

Put my Savage up against a CZ 2 weeks back savage won at 50, 100, and 200 yrds or I did not sure but my shooting has stunk of late so I say it was the gun. Still love my CZ 222 but ver pleased with the 93 in it`s 3 year
Old 04-04-2010, 09:31 AM

Nice cooter, one step up from your tikka.
Old 04-04-2010, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leo View Post
Nice shootin Cooter! Can't wait to put my CZ up against your Savage, see if it will shoot comparably
we'll have to line it up,curious myself?
Old 04-04-2010, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorr View Post
Now thats a good one look what happens when you go fishing you keep catching them all day long.
Old 04-04-2010, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorr View Post
I might deserve that! It's still no weath.........Weatherb.............Can't say it, I get a bad taste every time I try........ Besides I just learned a new word " Savage"
Old 04-04-2010, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawfy View Post
Now thats a good one look what happens when you go fishing you keep catching them all day long.
I got real good bait......... They just can't walk away!
Old 04-04-2010, 10:23 AM

Thumbs down compete

I would say the centre fires now compete with Remington, Winchester etc for fit and finnish, and are still generally priced below them. Have fun with the new gun.[/QUOTE]

I have a hard time believing that, the fit and finish of a savage still has some work to do.Accurate yes ,but the fit and finish is K-rap.
Old 04-04-2010, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redranger15 View Post
I would say the centre fires now compete with Remington, Winchester etc for fit and finnish, and are still generally priced below them. Have fun with the new gun.
I have a hard time believing that, the fit and finish of a savage still has some work to do.Accurate yes ,but the fit and finish is K-rap.[/QUOTE]

Ya,I would agree the fit and finish aint quite there but for 280 bucks to kick around a field at some gopher's I am okay with that. Your right it shoot pretty good. Can't wait to go out to the field again took 169 yesterday.
Old 04-04-2010, 11:18 AM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The cooter View Post
I have a hard time believing that, the fit and finish of a savage still has some work to do.Accurate yes ,but the fit and finish is K-rap.
Ya,I would agree the fit and finish aint quite there but for 280 bucks to kick around a field at some gopher's I am okay with that. Your right it shoot pretty good. Can't wait to go out to the field again took 169 yesterday.[/QUOTE]

The first part isn't my quote.I believe it was Dean 2.
Old 04-04-2010, 03:43 PM

RR15

With the rimfires, no arguement, fit and finnish is still sub standard, as is quality control. The 17 HM2 I recently bought took quite a bit of fiddling to get it to feed and eject properly, and with no accu-trigger that will take some stone work too, but for $199 and in left hand it does group great.

What I said however was with the CENTREFIRES I believe the fit and finnish to be on par, (actually I think they are better but I was trying to be non-confrontational) with current produciton Remington and Winchester centre fires.

I have purchased three new Savage Centrefires in the past two years, two new Reminton 700s, a Marlin, and a Winchester; as well as a few assorted new Tikkas, CZs, Rugers, Brownings, and a couple of custom rifles.

The Marlin (owned by Remington) was returned for a refiund because it wouldn't shoot under 3" at 50 yards and could not be fixed by the Canadian repair outlet.

The Remington VSF was $960 and I had to order an aftermearket replacement stock becuase the tuperware piece of crap Remington put on it would not bed properly no matter what I did to it. On top of that I needed to replace the nifty new X-Mark trigger becuase it broke in half from simple shooting, right where the non-functioning adjustment scew goes through it. Finally it required a replacement shroud, pin and spring because the stock one wouldn't consistently ignite the primers and craters even very light or factory loads. (Stock $300, new RB trigger $150, new firing pin, spring and shroud $120, for $570 in required repairs/upgrades)

The other Remington was a LVSSF at an even $1,000. That one needed a relacement shroud, pin and spring to get rid of the nifty J lock that is both unsafe and gives you a firing pin spring that is bent like a snakes's back. It also required a replacement trigger from Rifle Basix because even the smith could not get this one to adjust up properly and still be safe. On top of that, had to glass the action to get it to group properly, despite it having been pillar bedded from the factory. (Total cost of required upgrades $370)

The Winchester, that went back to the store without ever having even been fired. Once I got a close look at it out of the stock there was no way I was keeping it. Very poor and loose bedding. file marks all over the place on the action and the trigger to action fit was very poor.

Will say both Remingtons now shoot great but the cost and work to get them there means I think of Remingtons as donor actions for cusotm rifles, and for that an SPS will work just fine.

Except for the Tikka, all the other makes of guns were equal in cost or more money than the Savages, but on par with the Remingtons and Winchester and I have had no required repairs or upgrades on any of them.

The most expensive Savage was $820 for a model 12 with the laminated stock. Total cost of required upgrades, ZERO. True for the other two less expensive Savages as well. All three shot under half inch right out of the box, and despite a few thousand rounds through at least one of them, none required repairs.

I don't know what it is you define as quality construction, fit and finnish etc, but under my definition, and recent experience, Savage clearly wins over Remington and Winchester. Not over CZ, Browning, Sako, Cooper and a whole bunch of others, comment was restricted specifically to the two brands mentioned.

Not trying to start a debate, and to each his own, so if you prefer Remington to Savage buy a bucket load of them and be happy, but don't tell me what I need to think either please.
Old 04-04-2010, 04:04 PM

Quote:
I would say the centre fires now compete with Remington, Winchester etc for fit and finnish, and are still generally priced below them. Have fun with the new gun.
I have a hard time believing that, the fit and finish of a savage still has some work to do.Accurate yes ,but the fit and finish is K-rap.[/QUOTE]

Hey, Redranger just wondering if you have a varmit rifle and what calibier/make. I would guess remington or winchester? I like both! What models?
Old 04-04-2010, 06:50 PM

@ Dean 2 , don't recall telling you what to think only said what I think.You like your Savage's that's great. We had a couple Savages in the family and they were what I guess you would call lemon's. Looked at few Savages when I was looking for a 204 and all of them felt like K-rap to me.Cheaper stocks then my sps.If you recall a little poll I did awhile back(yes I will bring it up agian) Savage came in last place, enough said about that.

@ Cooter I have rem sps ss in 204 and just the same, didn't want to spend a lot of cash on yote gun just to beat up.My rem shoots great with 32gr v-max but won't shoot anything over 40gr worth a dam.It has a cheap stock but I didn't think it was as bad as some Savages.Also had a .270 win xtr that was a fine rifle as well. Looks like your Savage is going to cause a lot of heart ache in the world of little critters. Go get em, and nice groups by the way.Bottom one's my 204.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Photo 9_2.jpg (132.1 KB, 50 views)

Last edited by redranger15; 04-04-2010 at 07:04 PM.
Old 04-05-2010, 01:33 AM

Here we go again. Cooter pass the popcorn.
Old 04-05-2010, 05:13 AM

crawfy

You are exactly right. I usually avoid these types of useless debates like the plaque, most of the time I don't even bother reading them. I don't usually care who likes what, just made an innocent post congratulating a guy on buying a gun that shoots well. Someone wants to post a different perspective fine, but got my hair up when someone takes a direct quote from the post and basically says I am full of it. Might not have been the intent, but the rules of writng say this is what you mean when you specifcally reference a quote and then disagree with it.

Clearly got sucked in this time. Thanks for the reminder, it won't happen again soon.
Old 04-05-2010, 08:34 PM

Quote:
crawfy

You are exactly right. I usually avoid these types of useless debates like the plaque, most of the time I don't even bother reading them. I don't usually care who likes what, just made an innocent post congratulating a guy on buying a gun that shoots well. Someone wants to post a different perspective fine, but got my hair up when someone takes a direct quote from the post and basically says I am full of it. Might not have been the intent, but the rules of writng say this is what you mean when you specifcally reference a quote and then disagree with it.

Clearly got sucked in this time. Thanks for the reminder, it won't happen again soon.
Not trying to sucker any one, Just a simple chat about savage as this is my first. Thought maybe people would share their experiance's with savage sorry to get anyone upset!
Old 04-05-2010, 09:39 PM

I think he was speaking about me.Was never meant to be taken as "being full of it" just disagreeing with him about his statement savage over rem and win.My opinion, his opinion, we all got one.Some guy's get cranky as I do sometimes as well.
Old 04-05-2010, 09:43 PM

Quote:
I think he was speaking about me.Was never meant to be taken as "being full of it" just disagreeing with him about his statement savage over rem and win.My opinion, his opinion, we all got one.Some guy's get cranky as I do sometimes as well.
Ya this happens to guy's that are passionate about there gear! I like to here from everyone you can lean so much here.
Old 04-05-2010, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Ya this happens to guy's that are passionate about there gear! I like to here from everyone you can learn so much here.