Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 08-16-2018, 01:18 PM

Default New to elk hunting

I've located a bachelor heard with several six points and I've been drawn for bull elk in the same 400 series wmu. I've been watching this heard for a few years with game cams but I never see cows and I can't figure out where they are.

The bulls bugger off in early sept and come back in winter, sometimes I'll get a few of them show up in oct and nov.

I suspect the cows are on adjacent private land in a different wmu.

Any ideas on how to hunt these guys? My idea right now is a ground blind by a waterhole/wallow in early sept then still hunting with a rifle once that opens.

Should I try calling, decoy, scents, other things?

I've hunted this area for around 30 years and have only seen elk with my own eyes a hand full of times, all other observation has been with cams. I do know where a few wallows and a couple of good water holes are.
Old 08-16-2018, 01:47 PM

Bachelor groups in the summer, in areas where cows don't frequent, is common behavior for elk.
As the rut approaches, things will change as the bulls become less tolerant of each others company. In the first part of September they will often stay in the same location as their summer hangout, but spread out a little to avoid each other. Wallows can be especially important at this time, where bulls can cool off and relieve some of the rutting tension that is starting to build. If you are hunting with a bow early in September, staying relatively close to the summer range is your best bet to find some of those bachelors. Calling can be effective, but be patient. Early in September bulls may not be that vocal but will often check out a caller by approaching silently to see who is making all the noise.

In the first part of September, some of the younger bulls may drift towards and start accompanying the cow herds. This may be close to the bachelor's summer range or a fair distance away. Often cows summer in areas with the best feed, and the bulls are in more marginal habitat, so the distance apart can depend on the local area. Towards the middle of September, and into early October, the mature bulls will move towards the cow herds and take over from the younger bulls.

Other variables can influence these movements and ranges, including feed quality, predators, human pressure, cows....so nothing is for certain. My experience with this is primarily in mountain habitat, and the 400 WMU series you mention fits that description. Hope that helps and let us know how you make out. Best of luck.
Old 08-16-2018, 02:59 PM

Time for more hiking, find areas with a lot rubs (recent and old). These are signs that they are in there during the rut, and that's where you want to be.
Old 08-16-2018, 03:44 PM

Default bull elk

Find the larger fresh poop and you will find the bulls!
Old 08-16-2018, 04:28 PM

Here are a couple of the bulls:

https://imgur.com/a/fYISu5k
Old 08-16-2018, 05:44 PM

Nice
Old 08-16-2018, 06:46 PM

I’m thinking if you know they return in oct I’d be hunting there around oct 15-20 with cow calling to catch second rut action. In sep I’d be out there scouting with a weapon and a tag in case I happen upon them in the new area with cows.
Good luck out there!
Old 08-16-2018, 07:44 PM

You could try and go in at the end of aug or first week of sept and spray some cow in estrus around the wallows or in a few different spots .. might be just enough to keep a bull or two from venturing away .. just an idea
Old 08-17-2018, 01:48 PM

try looking in lower elevation spots for cows valley floors river bottoms or anywhere with cooler temps good food and thick cover the cows are still busy getting fat reserves up and raising calves