Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-10-2018, 06:26 AM

Default Another RCMP Firearm Stolen

Another firearm has been stolen from an RCMP vehicle. Putting more restrictions on civilian firearms owners will not prevent this, in fact it will likely just make it more tempting for criminals to steal firearms from the police. So will those people demanding more firearms laws blame the thief, or the RCMP for this incident?

https://thestarphoenix.com/news/loca...ness-overnight

Last edited by elkhunter11; 08-10-2018 at 06:38 AM.
Old 08-10-2018, 07:05 AM

any chance the RCMP officer will be charged with unsafe firearm
handling /storage
Old 08-10-2018, 07:56 AM

Don't worry!! "The RCMP will be conducting an internal review". Whenever I read our hear that I know that everything will be ok.
Old 08-10-2018, 08:04 AM

The reality is, that the problem is the thief, not the police. The officer should be treated no differently than a civilian that left a restricted/prohibited firearm in a vehicle.
Old 08-10-2018, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
The reality is, that the problem is the thief, not the police. The officer should be treated no differently than a civilian that left a restricted/prohibited firearm in a vehicle.
Agreed
Old 08-10-2018, 08:09 AM

Nice to see Ford mentioned not interested in going after responsible citizens. Both city council/mayor and Feds want to go after responsible gun owners to solve "Gang" shooting crime.
Old 08-10-2018, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
Nice to see Ford mentioned not interested in going after responsible citizens. Both city council/mayor and Feds want to go after responsible gun owners to solve "Gang" shooting crime.
That it is. I understand why others want to go after firearms though. In reality they have no idea how to actually solve the problem, going after responsible owners is easy, and to the grass in the wind they are perceived as doing something.
Old 08-10-2018, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Yes agree

LC
Old 08-10-2018, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
That it is. I understand why others want to go after firearms though. In reality they have no idea how to actually solve the problem, going after responsible owners is easy, and to the grass in the wind they are perceived as doing something.
If one kid misbehaves, the entire class gets punished. Works for kindergarten, must work for a country. Morons
Old 08-10-2018, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgill808 View Post
If one kid misbehaves, the entire class gets punished. Works for kindergarten, must work for a country. Morons
I'd say its more of an entire class, with the exception of the kid that actually misbehaved.
Old 08-10-2018, 08:39 AM

The RCMP did not lose a firearm. The RCMP are not at fault. A person did and is.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 08-10-2018, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
The RCMP did not lose a firearm. The RCMP are not at fault. A person did and is.
Technically, the firearm belongs to the RCMP, the vehicle belongs to the RCMP, and both were in the care of one of their officers, so in fact, they are missing a firearm. As I posted earlier though, I blame the thief, not the RCMP, or even the officer, but this must also be the case when a firearm is stolen from a civilian. The real fault lies with the thief, not the firearms owner, or the person who had custody of the firearm.
Old 08-10-2018, 09:14 AM

I know a couple guys who stored firearms legally in locked vehicles...they were both immediately charged with improper storage upon reporting the theft. Both cases they could prove they did things right...but that didn’t help the stress they felt while having charges hang over their heads.

LC
Old 08-10-2018, 10:36 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Break the arms of the thief and well time for a charge parade for the officer...if they do that? Army....well back in the day a boot to the gut and 14 days in cells....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 08-10-2018, 02:47 PM

If you or I, with a valid RPAL, had a restricted firearm stolen from an unattended vehicle, we would likely lose our RPAL privileges. Fate should be same for the officer responsible for the missing weapon.
Old 08-11-2018, 10:57 AM

Guys, just wondering, I always lock my handgun in my truck, in locked case, with trigger lock on trapline as I have ATC. Then am I to believe that if some idiot broke into my truck and stole my handgun I would be charged??
Old 08-12-2018, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunluvr View Post
If you or I, with a valid RPAL, had a restricted firearm stolen from an unattended vehicle, we would likely lose our RPAL privileges. Fate should be same for the officer responsible for the missing weapon.
BS. Under Canadian Law we are allowed to leave restricted firearms in our vehicles unattended as long as they are secured as per the regulation. Don't need any more bad ideas.
Old 08-12-2018, 06:42 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by npbra View Post
BS. Under Canadian Law we are allowed to leave restricted firearms in our vehicles unattended as long as they are secured as per the regulation. Don't need any more bad ideas.
Yup exactly.
If we held every person accountable for daily screwups at thier job, or weekly or monthly or yearly well you know how this ends.....one should not throw stones when they live in a glass house....I know we are all awesome and don't make mistakes....meh!

The officer will have a talking too, like I said earlier break the criminals arms at the elbows and move on.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 08-13-2018, 05:18 AM
Banned

If a police officer has their firearms stolen they should be in deep crap. It shouldn’t matter the situation, unmarked, marked, under cover or not. I would expect the police have an extra responsibility over the average citizen on keeping their firearms secure especially with restricted arms. This person should have the gun privileges taken away and given a billy club.
Old 08-13-2018, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ^v^Tinda wolf^v^ View Post
If a police officer has their firearms stolen they should be in deep crap. It shouldn’t matter the situation, unmarked, marked, under cover or not. I would expect the police have an extra responsibility over the average citizen on keeping their firearms secure especially with restricted arms. This person should have the gun privileges taken away and given a small, bright pink squirt gun...and a dull pencil for their desk job.
Fixed

Time for the horsemen to get some of their own medicine
Old 08-13-2018, 06:05 AM

Where is my tinfoil???
Old 08-16-2018, 03:51 PM

Default Stolen RCMP firearm

Folks: There is no way any careless storage charges in relation to a person reporting a stolen firearm should stick. It is a criminal offence not to report a lost or stolen firearm, therefore any statement made by the firearms owner cannot be used against him/her. I am long retired from that line of work, but if memory serves correctly, section 107 of the Criminal Code deals with the reporting of lost/stolen firearms.
Old 08-16-2018, 04:02 PM

Saskatoon man arrested after allegedly stealing RCMP firearm, it has not been recovered

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskat...toon-1.4787318
Old 08-16-2018, 06:48 PM

The gun haters won’t blame the cops or the person who stole the gun. They will blame the gun!

BW
Old 08-16-2018, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigwoodsman View Post
The gun haters won’t blame the cops or the person who stole the gun. They will blame the gun!

BW
If the firearm was stolen from a regular citizen's vehicle, some of those same people would blame the owner.
Old 08-17-2018, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by npbra View Post
What about a prohibited firearm? The barrel length of a SW 5946 is 4"(101.6 mm), just under the 105mm limit making it a prohibited firearm.

I'm sure if any one of us regular citizens lost a prohibited firearm we would be charged, have every single firearm seized while we await trial, PAL's suspended then revoked and most likely be given a prostate exam with a cactus. During the whole ordeal our lives would be turned upside down and financially cost us $10000 or more in legal fee's. This could also cost some people their jobs or very livelihood if they rely on firearms for work or subsistence living.

What will happen to the officer, a slap on the wrist? A paid " disciplinary time out" funded by the tax payers? Mandatory firearms re-qualification? Likely we will never know what happens to the officer. The RCMP will put all the focus on the thief and how evil he was. But if it was anyone else, the focus would be on how a "careless gun owner allowed a dangerous criminal to aquire a deadly weapon capable of committing a massacre"
As said before " To protect their own and serve summons"

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 08-17-2018, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostguy6 View Post
What about a prohibited firearm? The barrel length of a SW 5946 is 4"(101.6 mm), just under the 105mm limit making it a prohibited firearm.

I'm sure if any one of us regular citizens lost a prohibited firearm we would be charged, have every single firearm seized while we await trial, PAL's suspended then revoked and most likely be given a prostate exam with a cactus. During the whole ordeal our lives would be turned upside down and financially cost us $10000 or more in legal fee's. This could also cost some people their jobs or very livelihood if they rely on firearms for work or subsistence living.

What will happen to the officer, a slap on the wrist? A paid " disciplinary time out" funded by the tax payers? Mandatory firearms re-qualification? Likely we will never know what happens to the officer. The RCMP will put all the focus on the thief and how evil he was. But if it was anyone else, the focus would be on how a "careless gun owner allowed a dangerous criminal to aquire a deadly weapon capable of committing a massacre"
As said before " To protect their own and serve summons"
What year did you apply to the Horsemen and get rejected?
Old 08-17-2018, 09:40 AM

Quote:
If the firearm was stolen from a regular citizen's vehicle, some of those same people would blame the owner.
Those same people believe if we didn't have guns, we wouldn't have a gun theft problem.

BW
Old 08-17-2018, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendan's dad View Post
What year did you apply to the Horsemen and get rejected?
Never have, never will unless I feel the need to commit a crime and get away with it.

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 08-17-2018, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostguy6 View Post
Never have, never will unless I feel the need to commit a crime and get away with it.
Owch.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....