Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-24-2017, 12:22 AM

Default Clean up after yourself in 410

http://www.rmoutlook.com/article/Cha...found-20171123

Guys Canmore really isn't the place to be messy. Even if it's legal this town is probably on of the best at getting wildlife restrictions placed. Also I bit of respect if your hunting near homes.
Old 11-24-2017, 05:50 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

This goes for all zones, respect, consideration, leave it better than you found it.

Won't happen though just look at any place people gather...garbage everywhere.

Cig butts, plastic, fast food wrappers....slobs.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 11-24-2017, 06:03 AM

Pretty sure the gut pipe would be a secondary concern for me as well. Good on them for cleaning it up the next day... I don't see what the hunters did wrong. Maybe the Canmore people need to lighten up or move. Personally not a fan of the place. Overrun with a bunch of MEC wearing, granola farting, BMW driving antis.
Old 11-24-2017, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don K View Post
Pretty sure the gut pipe would be a secondary concern for me as well. Good on them for cleaning it up the next day... I don't see what the hunters did wrong. Maybe the Canmore people need to lighten up or move. Personally not a fan of the place. Overrun with a bunch of MEC wearing, granola farting, BMW driving antis.
X2

Nothing wrong here. That pile will be back to nature in a couple of days.

Sent from my SM-G530W using Tapatalk
Old 11-24-2017, 09:03 AM

I don't see what those hunters did wrong, and this location is a 3 minute walk from my house. The elk traveled some distance before dropping - what are they supposed to do?
The CPR mainline track is also close by, and trains mow down lots of elk every year, scattering remains along the track. That doesn't seem to be an issue!
Old 11-24-2017, 12:19 PM

I know I'll get lambasted for this but I'm a firm believer in "just because you can, doesn't mean you should".

Whether we like it or not, the anti's are the majority and unless we tread lightly in the areas that they frequent, our ability to tread at all in those areas will suffer.

I admire these guys for cleaning it up quickly the next day but it's a real shame that it was in a place where someone could find it.
Old 11-24-2017, 12:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don K View Post
Exactly!
Old 11-24-2017, 12:30 PM

Did they clean up? Or did nature handle that? Kinda doubt it would have lasted tell the next day.
Old 11-24-2017, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post
I don't see what those hunters did wrong, and this location is a 3 minute walk from my house. The elk traveled some distance before dropping - what are they supposed to do?
The CPR mainline track is also close by, and trains mow down lots of elk every year, scattering remains along the track. That doesn't seem to be an issue!
X2. Silly to think this is about a carcass when it’s really about Canmore politicians trying to stop hunting anywhere near their precious sanctuary.
Old 11-24-2017, 02:01 PM

Even before this news article an old bag I know was moaning to me about this "illegal hunting" (her words). I tried briefly to explain to her but she fought back with more ignorance.

I sadly have to agree this problem has little to do with whatever real risk there is and everything to do with non-hunters who don't want to see or be near the mess. As Thumper says there are other factors attracting bears to town that matter more. Council and some residents have something stuck in their craw ever since they found out the no hunting bylaw they passed isn't legal.
Old 11-24-2017, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deo101 View Post
Did they clean up? Or did nature handle that? Kinda doubt it would have lasted tell the next day.
Exactly, so funny the whiner doesn't understand how nature works.
Old 11-24-2017, 04:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilt134 View Post
http://www.rmoutlook.com/article/Cha...found-20171123

Guys Canmore really isn't the place to be messy. Even if it's legal this town is probably on of the best at getting wildlife restrictions placed. Also I bit of respect if your hunting near homes.
And if the elk had died not at the hands of hunters and the whole carcass was left there who would they blame then?

Possibly a veiled attempt at restricting hunting for no good reason?
Old 11-24-2017, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYC338 View Post
And if the elk had died not at the hands of hunters and the whole carcass was left there who would they blame then?

Possibly a veiled attempt at restricting hunting for no good reason?
Well if it was just a dead elk there would be a week long investigation into what killed it and an excuse to break into the caution tape supply.

I'm just trying to point out to people that maybe this one will slide but next time people might get more annoyed and no one wants more hunting land gone.
Old 11-24-2017, 08:23 PM
Banned

funny the tree huggers weren't happy that this was left for their beloved, threatened griz.......they've gotta have all the help they can get; it's a matter of survival!
Old 11-24-2017, 10:48 PM

Larch Island is a legal hunting area but has been a conflict area for years. I personally feel like the elk are tame in that area and won't hunt it for a variety of reasons. Every year someone hits an elk there and it either dies in the park across from the island or near houses and the same story ends up in the paper. Worse, someone takes a pic of an elk with an arrow sticking out of its ass and the fight begins.

The guy who argues hunting 200 yards from his house is permitted needs to realize that's the case in a number of areas. While I can't stand the annual response from residents in that area this is the stuff that creates conflict with hunters and antis. Yes it's legal and yes you got a cow elk but for God's sake there are so many hunting areas in 410. Having an elk tip over in that residential area stirs the pot and does no good for any of us regardless of the anti hunting sentiment in canmore. They absolutely did nothing wrong legally but in my opinion it shouldn't have happened.

Until next year......
Old 08-01-2018, 03:59 PM

Common sense applied. Good post !
Old 08-03-2018, 09:54 AM

never cleaned up a gut pile myself. I've seen them completely gone within 8 hours though . I don't hunt Canmore anyways
Old 08-03-2018, 10:14 AM

Well I guess the guy in the article got his wish this year.

No hunting on Larch Island.
Old 08-03-2018, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWCalgary View Post
X2

Nothing wrong here. That pile will be back to nature in a couple of days.

Sent from my SM-G530W using Tapatalk
And a bear can show up right after you're gone. Haven't looked at my regs, but is hunting even open there rght now ?

Grizz
Old 08-03-2018, 11:25 AM

Nothing open in 410 untill the 5th of september............
F.N hunter maybe ?....
Or fake news..
Old 08-03-2018, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somehunter View Post
F.N hunter maybe ?....
Or fake news..
The OP is from 2017...
Old 08-03-2018, 02:40 PM

The future of hunting at it's finest. The more people the less area to hunt without someone complaining.

They shouldn't have gut the elk there but even if it was 1km off the trail it would still be an issue.
Old 08-05-2018, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveY66 View Post
The future of hunting at it's finest. The more people the less area to hunt without someone complaining.

They shouldn't have gut the elk there but even if it was 1km off the trail it would still be an issue.
410 is a tricky unit to deal with. Besides the multitude of granola crunchers , all kinds of restrictions. Decided long ago, they can have it, lots of other options.

Grizz
Old 08-06-2018, 09:52 PM

Hunting has been around way longer than the granola crunchers.
Old 08-06-2018, 11:09 PM
Banned

Outdoorsmen would never leave a mess, or that’s what a few members here think. I was out fishing a river this week and the UofA is doing a sentiment study and let me tell you they have made a huge mess in this river with all the plastic boxes left in the water along with all the PVC pipe that has been buried in the river bed. Then they painted rocks in the water so they could find the little plastic boxes which by the way are all broke and who knows where all the broken plastic has ended up. What damage is the paint doing to the water with hydrocarbons and what ever else is in the paint. Then there is all the wooden boxes all along the banks that must be holding the data recorders or whatever’s in the boxes. I think they have caused more damage to the water shed then a OHV that crosses a creek
Old 08-14-2018, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somehunter View Post
F.N hunter maybe ?....
Or fake news..
I spoke to the bow hunter about this recently, he's an old friend of my brother. He's a local resident. He was hunting with his young son.
Old 08-15-2018, 08:47 AM

An elk gut pile would not be an easy thing to "clean up". Ever tried to pick up guts? Even if you retrieved the organs the lungs, stomach, intestines would be a) slimy and b) heavy. Nothing beats Ma Nature for a cleanup in aisle 3
Old 08-15-2018, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoytCRX32 View Post
An elk gut pile would not be an easy thing to "clean up". Ever tried to pick up guts? Even if you retrieved the organs the lungs, stomach, intestines would be a) slimy and b) heavy. Nothing beats Ma Nature for a cleanup in aisle 3
Agreed, and why not the parts we don’t eat go back to nature?