Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-17-2012, 02:35 PM
Banned

Default Canoe fishing rig up, pick heavy

There seems to be lots of questions around here about the suitibility of canoes as fishing crafts, IMO they make very good fishing boats and with a small amount of work they can make great ones. Heres how I turned my canoe into a great one. The canoes greatest strength is its portability so I wanted to avoid anything I couldnt pack a ways easily, as well I do alot of river tripping so I didnt want to do anything too permanent. Here she is all rigged up

This is the key to it all right here, this is my tackle box, fish finder, and set of rod holders all in a convinent package

The elegantly simple idea behind this bit of gear is right here, handle mounted on one side, fish finder display on the other. You slide the board into the milk crate handles, the grooves cut on the handle side keep it from sliding around both while carying and while fish finding.

Here she is ready to go, notice that I have the crate slid under the thwart with the rod holders on the oposite side as the fish finder. This keeps it very secure without the need to be tied in.

Heres the transducer mount, I cut it out of the lid of a toolbox that was breaking up. IMO it is the weakest point of the whole rig. I can think of lots of better ways to build one.

I mentioned portability, I can launch the rig pretty much anywhere I can get my truck within half a kilometer of the water. Because of my fishing style I refuse to make more than two trips either way. Here is trip one, in the pail I have my anchor, stringer, bailer, and fishing rods. The pail itself doubles as a drift anchor, I bungy cord my paddles into the canoe and cary it in on trip two.

When I go alone I dont bring the trolling motor but if I have someone along I bring it sometimes. Heres a few pictures of the mount that I scabed togeather a few years ago and havnt got around to building a nicer one.

Effectiveness is best expressed with a few eaters we caught this weekend, interested to see other peoples setups. Hope someone finds this usefull.

Last edited by Cal; 06-17-2012 at 02:41 PM.
Old 06-17-2012, 03:04 PM

Thats a great set up you have there..

I really like your ideas, I hope you don't mind if I steal a few...

I've been thinking about ways to make my canoe a little more fishing friendly, this is a great example.

Thanks for posting!
Old 06-17-2012, 03:15 PM

That's fantastic. Great pics too
Old 06-17-2012, 03:21 PM
pelada trochu

thanks for sharing. enjoyed it very much
Old 06-17-2012, 03:33 PM
Banned

some good ideas there. i,ve been fishing from a small canoe for 2 seasons now and i love it. it's especially good for pothole lakes and offshore fishing on the bigger ones. haven't put it on the river yet.
Old 06-17-2012, 03:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterninja View Post
some good ideas there. i,ve been fishing from a small canoe for 2 seasons now and i love it. it's especially good for pothole lakes and offshore fishing on the bigger ones. haven't put it on the river yet.
I agree that they work well on pothole lakes and smaller water, but in these situations there are other styles of boats that also do very well. I think where they realy shine is on large bodys of water with limited access, or sections of river with no suitible launches for larger boats. For instance on both Lesser Slave Lake and the Little Smokey River I can park on an oil lease, make a short carry, and with minimal paddling I'm fishing a spot that would take an expencive rig and a long boat ride to get to otherwise. In general I catch more big fish from this canoe than I do from my Lund.

Last edited by Cal; 06-17-2012 at 03:52 PM.
Old 06-17-2012, 03:57 PM

when I used my fishfinder in the canoe I just set it right on the floor, seems to work well right through it. made my motor mount from a 2x4 with a piece of 2x8 screwed to the end to clamp the motor to.

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 06-17-2012, 04:21 PM
Banned

Great rig.

My set-up is nearly identical.

A few of the differences are, my fish finder has a suction cup to attach the transducer to the hull, and my canoe has a square stern for the trolling motor. The trolling motor battery slides right under my seat.

I also use a milk crate with pvc zip tied on as rod holders and as a place to set the fish finder display. I also keep my 10lb anchor in the milk crate, along with 100' rope.

Right now my only complaint is that the rod holders are not quite convenient enough, especially for the person in the front or the middle, so I'm looking at a way to rig up some free/cheap holders that will fit over the gunnel at any spot along it's length.

The design so far is to use some more pvc and bolt this to some scrap 2x4's.

The 2x4 pieces will be screwed together in the shape of a U and placed right onto the gunnel. I'll have to post a pic when they're done.

The next challenge is going to be rigging up some small cannon balls for improvised downrigging.

This really is an effective, inexpensive, and pleasurable way to fish.

Thanks for posting.
Old 06-17-2012, 04:25 PM

A canoe is all I have so I have to make the best of it.
sixer

Old 06-17-2012, 04:43 PM

X2 on canoe fishing, love it.
Old 06-17-2012, 05:01 PM

nice work on the canoe.
Old 06-17-2012, 05:56 PM
Banned

Top notch thread good stuff Cal.

Beeguys rig is surprisingly similar and very much a pleasure to fish from!!

Agreed 100% that accessing otherwise inaccessible big water and rivers are great strengths of these boats.

I did witness 2 first time canoers flip their brand new coleman canoe as they were attempting to launch into Spray lakes yesterday afternoon, i sprinted over to help them and i enjoyed a real long laugh at their expence...he was laughing it off or at least trying to LOL while she screamed at him for the next half hour complaining about being cold and wet, him trying to convince her that they should go out on the water since they were already soaked ...LOL buddy is gonna be in the dog house for a year....BWAAAAAAAAHAHAHA....

Just as she was attempting to get in the boat i winced as i thought to myself this is not gonna work, and i can't watch... the second i turned my head i hear SPLAAAASH!! I turn back around and the canoe is upside down with them and all their stufff STILL in it....wish i would of filmed it....

The canoe definitely has a place in the fishing universe, with many strengths i see a well put together outfit being a wise investment.
Old 06-17-2012, 06:43 PM
Banned

Awesome rig man!
Old 06-17-2012, 07:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeGuy View Post
Great rig.

My set-up is nearly identical.

A few of the differences are, my fish finder has a suction cup to attach the transducer to the hull, and my canoe has a square stern for the trolling motor. The trolling motor battery slides right under my seat.

I also use a milk crate with pvc zip tied on as rod holders and as a place to set the fish finder display. I also keep my 10lb anchor in the milk crate, along with 100' rope.

Right now my only complaint is that the rod holders are not quite convenient enough, especially for the person in the front or the middle, so I'm looking at a way to rig up some free/cheap holders that will fit over the gunnel at any spot along it's length.

The design so far is to use some more pvc and bolt this to some scrap 2x4's.

The 2x4 pieces will be screwed together in the shape of a U and placed right onto the gunnel. I'll have to post a pic when they're done.

The next challenge is going to be rigging up some small cannon balls for improvised downrigging.

This really is an effective, inexpensive, and pleasurable way to fish.

Thanks for posting.
Great minds think the same, would like to see some pictures of your rig. I do find that the rod holders are a long ways from the rear seat but if I seat the person up front facing backwards they are perfect from the front. I go out by myself more often than not and that is how I sit when paddling solo. For placing rod holders nearer the stern I'm going to make a clamp in thwart, much like the motor mount but out of wood, with a pair of flushmount Scotties on it. Such a bracket might work for a downrigger if it was built heavy enough.
Old 06-17-2012, 07:25 PM
Banned

Cool stuff Cal ........ Thank's !!!
Old 06-19-2012, 07:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
when I used my fishfinder in the canoe I just set it right on the floor, seems to work well right through it. made my motor mount from a 2x4 with a piece of 2x8 screwed to the end to clamp the motor to.
I just tryed this and it did not work, how are you getting your transducer to shoot through the floor without gluing it?
Old 06-19-2012, 08:12 PM
Banned

Picked up a 3lb cannon ball today and a release clip.

Have some ball snaps from a previous deal as well.

Going to use some 80lb mono I have kicking around and rig it up.

Probably use a piece of 2x4 with a big eye bolt to hang it over the side.

If all goes well, we'll get a stacker clip and run 2 rods. Only looking to get down about 40' max.

Gonna give it a go at glenmore once it clears up a bit.

If nothing else it'll be an interesting learning experience for less than $20 all in.
Old 06-19-2012, 08:17 PM

I just set the transducer on the floor, seemed to work fine. this is the mount I made, use it on my pontoon too to get the motor on the outside of the pontoon so I dont have to do the twist to reach the handle. (clamped it to the basket behind the seat)

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 06-19-2012, 10:58 PM

Awesome fishing machine Cal!

I just sold my flatback canoe to a good friend who will use it far more often than I will. Loved it, and have spent MANY hours in it on various lakes around Alberta and BC.

Best, and I mean the BEST part of my canoe?

I am usually the first awake and up in camp while on a lake fishing. I get the stove hot, and perk some coffee. Pour a hot cup of java into my enamel tin cup and head out onto the water solo. Most mornings on the small lakes, the water is glass.

This is the kicker; Once I pull away from shore, I set the trolling motor at speed and lock it in heading straight. I am then able to stand up and enjoy my coffee while silently crusing the glass through the mist. A little shift of weight on my feet and I can steer the boat easily. Then I can just enjoy my coffee and the morning, on the lake, alone
Old 06-20-2012, 04:27 AM

Smile nice

awesome set up.....
Old 06-20-2012, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal View Post
Great minds think the same, would like to see some pictures of your rig. I do find that the rod holders are a long ways from the rear seat but if I seat the person up front facing backwards they are perfect from the front. I go out by myself more often than not and that is how I sit when paddling solo. For placing rod holders nearer the stern I'm going to make a clamp in thwart, much like the motor mount but out of wood, with a pair of flushmount Scotties on it. Such a bracket might work for a downrigger if it was built heavy enough.
http://www.scottypaddlesports.com/ka...amp-mount.html

Here is a great solution for your canoe rod holder problems. You can place this mount anywhere along the side and put any Scotty product into it.

Going to pick up my canoe from my dad's place this summer. Can't wait as I already have all my toys sitting and waiting to mount em.
Old 06-20-2012, 08:18 AM

Wicked setup Cal, I like it!

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 06-20-2012, 08:24 AM

Very clever set up. Well done.
Old 08-14-2018, 05:26 PM

Default Motor clamp

Just to let you know I am "stealing" your idea. I am making a sailing canoe & I never thought of just using a simple angle iron and pieces of bent stock to make the clamp.
How did your camp holdup? Did it stay put on the gunwale or did it loosen up after you driven it around for a bit?

Carl

When I go alone I dont bring the trolling motor but if I have someone along I bring it sometimes. Heres a few pictures of the mount that I scabed togeather a few years ago and havnt got around to building a nicer one.

Old 08-14-2018, 05:28 PM

Cal has been banned, so he won't be able to answer your questions.

Thomas Sowell