Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-16-2018, 11:29 AM

Default 2018 Honda Pilot vs 2018 Toyota Highlander

Looking at a new SUV for the family and its between these two SUV's. Looking for some personal feedback, advice or reviews.

Thx!
Old 08-16-2018, 02:08 PM

Let Consumer Report make your choice for you. Seriously. Toyota and Honda is like comparing gray and grey.
Old 08-16-2018, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Let Consumer Report make your choice for you. Seriously. Toyota and Honda is like comparing gray and grey.
x2 Sit in them, drive them and that will make your decision. back in 03 I chose the Pilot because it felt more roomy.
Old 08-16-2018, 02:46 PM

yep tomato tamato..........

highlights copy and pasted...............drive it and buy the one that you like the ride, goodies, and luxury feel

Honda Pilot Advantages

Roomier, newer, more amenities

Toyota Highlander Advantages

A tad smaller and nimbler, perhaps more stylish

Similarities

Honda and Toyota have built renowned reputations for quality, reliability and resale value, and those track records are key strengths of both the Pilot and Highlander. But they're much more than just trouble-free transportation. The Pilot and Highlander are comfortable, practical, and packed with increasing quantities of driver-assist and safety technologies.
Old 08-16-2018, 03:56 PM

My wife drives a 2008 Pilot that we’ve had since new. We’ve had zero issues with it and spent very little on maintenance in general. One set of brakes 30,000 Kms ago and I just did the water pump, timing belt, tb tensioner, serpentine belt, it’s tensioner/pulley and spark plugs at 160,000 Kms two weeks ago as just preventative maintenance since we were taking it on a 5k road trip. So, maybe $1,200 total in parts over 10 years. Other than that just oil changes. It’s been bullet proof and we would buy another except we both think the changes in body style since 2016 leave us kind of cold.

If we were going to replace it right now we would probably buy the Highlander simply because we like the body style better and we don’t have a Honda dealer up here. While we never had any issue with our Pilot when new a neighbour has a newer Odyssey and it has had a few minor issues. Being 500 Kms away from a Honda dealer would be a real pain in the arse dealing with any warranty issues.
Old 08-16-2018, 09:11 PM

Go drive then both and pick the one you like.
Old 08-16-2018, 09:44 PM
Banned

Seriously?? Honda vs Toyota = GMC vs Ford end of story
Old 08-17-2018, 08:49 AM

While working for Kal Tire as a mechanic for 7 years I have seen lots.
The surprising thing on the honda pilot for me was the cost of parts. I am not talking about brakes or tires, but they do cost more. But a simple signal light bulb. You have to buy from Honda, not available anywhere else and like $30 each, everything was weird, not that they have lots of problems but when they do it costs you. Weird sized wiper blades,
My bosses wife had one, after they sold it they said they would never buy another because of this. 5 day wait for a brake rotor, little things like that were a big annoyance.
My mother and few others I know have owned Toyota Highlanders and I have never run into this.
But this is just food for thought.
Old 08-17-2018, 10:54 AM

Default Highlander all the way

We've had a Highlander since 2011, bought it new. Would buy another one in a heartbeat, smooth, reliable, good on gas. Pricing was good when compared to other foreign brands, bit higher than domestics but they are generally crap.

Only thing I might buy sooner than another Highlander is another RAV4, got one and I just love that little vehicle.
Old 08-18-2018, 11:05 PM

We just went through this dilemma this past spring. We were all decided to go with the highlander because of its reputation. By chance, stopped and sat in a pilot. Had by far, way more room for our family. And more comfortable rear seats. That's why we went for the pilot instead. Sit in each and pick the one you like better. Both are fabulous SUV'S.
Old 08-19-2018, 12:44 AM

The Highlander, because it has a timing chain, not a timing belt that costs you $1500 every 100000km.

Also it has an actual center shift stick, not some stupid little buttons.
Old 08-19-2018, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeelmer View Post
While working for Kal Tire as a mechanic for 7 years I have seen lots.
The surprising thing on the honda pilot for me was the cost of parts. I am not talking about brakes or tires, but they do cost more. But a simple signal light bulb. You have to buy from Honda, not available anywhere else and like $30 each
Really? What year? My son's 2010 Pilot uses a standard 7443 bulb for signal lights. Less than a buck at Rock Auto (plus shipping of course), less than $10 for a two pack at Canadian Tire.

For $30 you could replace them with LEDs

ARG

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjemac View Post
It has been scientifically proven that a 308 round will not leave your property -- they essentially fall dead at the fence line. But a 38 round, when fired from a handgun, will of its own accord leave your property and destroy any small schools nearby.
Old 08-19-2018, 08:37 AM

The rumour of overpriced cost of parts on a Pilot when compared to the Highlander is complete bs. Sure, they may end up costing you slightly more than a domestic, but you’ll end up needing a lot less of them. As for comparing them to each other, they are both imports and a quick check shows parts being comparable in price. As for the cost of light bulbs I couldn’t tell you off the top of my head, because I’ve bever had to change one since our 2008 Pilot was new. Unlike my Dodge, where I seem to be replacing them regularly.

In the end they are so close as far as price and reliability goes pick the one you like better. Either way you are getting a better vehicle than any domestic.
Old 08-19-2018, 08:54 AM
Banned

We have a 2014 Pilot. Being a guy that has always driven E150 vans and F150's for a living I find sitting in the Pilot for more than 1/2 a chore. It has been a great vehicle for the purpose it was purchased for but if you are looking for comfort look elsewhere.
Zero issues so far at 50000km.
Old 08-19-2018, 09:55 PM

For me the biggest difference is in the middle row seat.
Or the hybrid option if you go that way