Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-16-2018, 07:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by does it ALL outdoors View Post
Gave up on campgrounds 20 yrs ago and haven't looked back.

I allways find random spots on crown land wherever I go.

A good friend just camped somewhere around Lake Louise last week, 10 pm the warden comes around and stands there untill your fires out. But screaming kids at 6am are ok, no thanks!

And the new ridiculous booking system insures I'll never go back
I love random camping too, but to get seclusion, you are probably going to have to hike in, and not be in a vehicle.

You can still get the odd sweet little spot pulled off the Trunk Road, but sadly most of the remaining random camping spots at Mcclean, Abraham Lake or Indian Graves are worse than campgrounds. Piles of garbage, toilet paper and faeces strewn around the bush, live trees hacked down and burned and more likely than not, some anti-social yahoos doing donuts or playing music or shooting off fireworks to 3 am. i know, its not everyone, but its enough to spoil it for everyone. Most people would prefer to pay the $30. Could show you stuff that would make you weep.

Its a shame, but I feel that truck-based random camping is probably coming to an end. I don't even blame the government - its a sizable minority people's inability to show some basic respect that means its inevitable.
Old 08-17-2018, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribou75 View Post
I love random camping too, but to get seclusion, you are probably going to have to hike in, and not be in a vehicle.

You can still get the odd sweet little spot pulled off the Trunk Road, but sadly most of the remaining random camping spots at Mcclean, Abraham Lake or Indian Graves are worse than campgrounds. Piles of garbage, toilet paper and faeces strewn around the bush, live trees hacked down and burned and more likely than not, some anti-social yahoos doing donuts or playing music or shooting off fireworks to 3 am. i know, its not everyone, but its enough to spoil it for everyone. Most people would prefer to pay the $30. Could show you stuff that would make you weep.

Its a shame, but I feel that truck-based random camping is probably coming to an end. I don't even blame the government - its a sizable minority people's inability to show some basic respect that means its inevitable.
I do not agree. I just returned from a sweet spot in that area. It was much used over the long weekend. Nobody left any garbage. Everything was spotless clean. Only the odd generator was sometimes humming (including mine).
The majority does cares about the traces they leave.
Old 08-17-2018, 08:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayDoh View Post
it’s clear Campgrounds are now all about the profits.
Are the campsites a business?? Then profits are a MUST I've noticed in here, that it's OK for some to make profit and if you are not the one making profit, then the consensus is you are getting screwed. Just sayin'
Old 08-17-2018, 09:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyBoBandy View Post
Are the campsites a business?? Then profits are a MUST I've noticed in here, that it's OK for some to make profit and if you are not the one making profit, then the consensus is you are getting screwed. Just sayin'
Sort or amusing, you pull that 40K trailer with that 70K truck use 200 in gas and 30/night is just to expensive.
Old 08-17-2018, 09:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobalong View Post
Sort or amusing, you pull that 40K trailer with that 70K truck use 200 in gas and 30/night is just to expensive.
First world glamping problems.
Don’t forget the satellite dish subscriptions.
Wouldn’t want to be outside with all of that nature and serenity.
Might miss out on a Netflix binge.

Piggy backing on the OP’s question is how much does it cost for the upkeep of the sites, electrical, sani dump, etc. That was put in place for these monstrosity’s.