Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-07-2009, 06:15 AM

Something I just learned on Nov 3 thanks to Frank Ritcey too is to be patient and don't put too much effort into the calling. Think outside the norm, moose don't really have rules that they follow. I setup on a moose to intercept him the other day after another hunter pushed him through the bush. I made 3 cow calls like Frank does, one soft long call, and two more shorter in length each time with the throat sound at the end of the first call like your phleming. I waited 10-15mins and made a few bull grunts in the opposite direction as well. When I called for the cow, I had a good idea where the bull was so I called in the opposite direction to not be too obvious that I knew where he was(played stupid), and kept the volume pretty low since he was within 500yds. He never made a peep, or grunt or any noise at all through the bush. He had follow the trail I was on initially for over 400yds, went through the bush for another 400yds. When I was done waiting till the last 10-15 mins of light I figured no luck. Got off the logpile I was sitting in a cutblock, got on my Ranger and reversed the machine to find him trotting down that same cutline! My biggest bull yet, 43" and a big drop tine on the one side with nice paddles for that size of a moose, massive body too! Thanks Frank, I think it had something to do with what I learnt from your videos! Don't think that it's too late to call in Nov, I tried even though this bull split from a cow and a calf when pushed through bush. I wasn't sure he'd be interested in calls. Can't positively say he came to the calls, but he was trotting pretty good down the trail 30 mins after I called????