Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-11-2013, 01:34 PM

The giant dump truck on the south end of Fernie BC is cool. At lest I think it's in Fernie.
Old 01-11-2013, 04:15 PM

Hey Buggy...thought you may like these pics...welcome by the way,you seemed to be off to a shaky start but i it's all good.

"Good judgement comes from experience, and experience...well,That comes from poor Judgement"
"KEEP SMILING"
Zip
Old 01-11-2013, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishingMOM View Post
I was watching a cooking show the other week. they were down in Mexico.
The host has to see a farmer to get one of those plowing discs, take it to the welder in town who filled the holes, added handles and gave it a good grind/polish.
Once he completed those tasks he had to take his Discada out to a ranch to meet back up with the locals he had been fishing with earlier in the day.

They tossed his discada up on the fire and used it for cooking dinner. Thought that was a great way to reuse something that would otherwise go to waste. Was also thinking it would be great for camping.

http://www.southwestdisk.com/seasoning-care-guide/
An 11 foot BBQ grill ?
Old 01-11-2013, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by javlin101 View Post
The giant dump truck on the south end of Fernie BC is cool. At lest I think it's in Fernie.

thats in sparwood .. its called a terex titan 350 .. at the time there was only a few of these monsters in captivity.. one in sparwood and 2 or 3 in diamond mine in south africa...i was working in fernie in a radiator shop and i rebuilt the main radiator on it ( i am a journeyman industrial cooling system mech.) That rad was a mesabi style ( http://www.mesabi.com/products.php ) heat exchanger and was something like 18 feet wide and 9 feet high in sections .. my claim to fame ....
Old 01-11-2013, 06:36 PM

Heres a couple of pics that I took a few years back...I know a few of our members know the location of these...

Dragline

Old 01-11-2013, 07:11 PM

im pretty sure I know where that car is. south of GP?
Old 01-11-2013, 07:14 PM

Default Train Grave Yard- Uyuni Bolivia

Hers a link to some pics in a very cool part of the world. Trains and abandoned machinery in a desert setting.

http://www.environmentalgraffiti.com...me-to-die/7130

This isnt far from where Butch Cassidy and The Sundance Kid robbed several trains and is just north of their final gun battle where they were killed. After being there, its amazing they survived as long as they did- its desolate to say the least.

Ill post some of my own pics if I can dig them up.
Old 01-11-2013, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by medicmoose View Post
im pretty sure I know where that car is. south of GP?

Nope...Here's a hint - South of Calgary
Old 01-11-2013, 09:14 PM

Default Plane Wreck

Heres an old plane wreck I stumbled upon. Pretty cool to stumble into.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00367.jpg (57.1 KB, 193 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00368.jpg (55.7 KB, 185 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00369.jpg (56.2 KB, 174 views)
Old 01-11-2013, 09:24 PM

I love abandoned things. The promise of seeing ghost towns and stuff is what got me into quadding.

Some trash is sacred I guess but I'm not above salvaging if the circumstances are right. Vehicles want to be on the road, not rusting in the woods.

Hey Buggy Skinner, if you ever want company on a relic hunt I'm game.
Old 01-11-2013, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggyskinner_657 View Post
Hello. I was just wondering who out there has come across abandoned heavy equipment (earthmoving, logging, mining, ect) in the Alberta wilderness? I know they are out there. Let us know what you saw and where it was.

I would read into this an interesting piece some one stumbled into with a story, not a GPS coordinate where it could be located. Man some of you fellows are over the top with unfounded suspetion Cat. FS
Old 01-11-2013, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faststeel View Post
I would read into this an interesting piece some one stumbled into with a story, not a GPS coordinate where it could be located. Man some of you fellows are over the top with unfounded suspetion Cat. FS
Been too many misleading threads here of late is all.
Cat
Old 01-12-2013, 12:10 AM

There are some pretty monster logging tires in the mountains south of hwy. 3 on the BC side. My opinion on the matter is, if it looks like it still is used or belongs to someone or it's on private land, leave it there until you get permission to remove it. Otherwise if it's junk, in the bush, or an eye sore; have at 'er.
Old 01-12-2013, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic_Cool View Post
I love abandoned things. The promise of seeing ghost towns and stuff is what got me into quadding.

Some trash is sacred I guess but I'm not above salvaging if the circumstances are right. Vehicles want to be on the road, not rusting in the woods.

Hey Buggy Skinner, if you ever want company on a relic hunt I'm game.
I'll keep ya in mind.
Old 01-12-2013, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggyskinner_657 View Post
Hello. I was just wondering who out there has come across abandoned heavy equipment (earthmoving, logging, mining, ect) in the Alberta wilderness? I know they are out there. Let us know what you saw and where it was.
I come across lots of abandoned equipment in the bush in my travels which I have master keys for because I haul equipment and need to have the keys to move them. But they are not mine so I don't touch them ever unless I am sent to pick it up
Old 01-13-2013, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff5316 View Post
I come across lots of abandoned equipment in the bush in my travels which I have master keys for because I haul equipment and need to have the keys to move them. But they are not mine so I don't touch them ever unless I am sent to pick it up
Sorry but that's funny!!!
Old 01-13-2013, 10:01 AM

That master key thing is weird to me. Is the convenience really worth the lack of security? I've heard tales of people taking those things on joy rides into the bush. In fact, that could be how half of the things get out there.

When I was young, there was a housing development in my home town Mount Pearl. Not new really, but there was a field of rock right next to it that was hidden by the tree line. In it were a few barbecued cars, but the real jewel was an old school steam shovel.

Dated back to when tractors were black, not yellow. The arm was operated by pullies instead of hydraulics. The thing had to be atleast 50 years old. Despite the rocky terrain, it was sunk into the earth up to the top of the treads. Wish I would've gone back there more often.

Also in Newfoundland, it wasn't unusual to find "buggies" for lack of a better word. Basically a truck frame with an engine and a driver's seat. Maybe a homemade gas can attached. Used for hunting and logging I guess.

I knew a mechanic from back there. Once a year, him and his buddies would buy a bunch of old boats (Cadillacs, Lincolns, etc) and take them to the middle of the woods. Then they'd have themselves a demolition derby and leave them there afterwards.

You'll probably also find a thousand school buses rusting away in those woods. That's Newfoundland for you
Old 01-13-2013, 11:40 AM

This is not in the bush nor abandoned, but I still want to move it over to my favorite duck pond and have the biggest decoy blind around.

Old 01-13-2013, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayseed View Post
Sorry but that's funny!!!
What's so funny about it?
Old 01-13-2013, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic_Cool View Post
That master key thing is weird to me. Is the convenience really worth the lack of security? I've heard tales of people taking those things on joy rides into the bush. In fact, that could be how half of the things get out there.

When I was young, there was a housing development in my home town Mount Pearl. Not new really, but there was a field of rock right next to it that was hidden by the tree line. In it were a few barbecued cars, but the real jewel was an old school steam shovel.

Dated back to when tractors were black, not yellow. The arm was operated by pullies instead of hydraulics. The thing had to be atleast 50 years old. Despite the rocky terrain, it was sunk into the earth up to the top of the treads. Wish I would've gone back there more often.

Also in Newfoundland, it wasn't unusual to find "buggies" for lack of a better word. Basically a truck frame with an engine and a driver's seat. Maybe a homemade gas can attached. Used for hunting and logging I guess.

I knew a mechanic from back there. Once a year, him and his buddies would buy a bunch of old boats (Cadillacs, Lincolns, etc) and take them to the middle of the woods. Then they'd have themselves a demolition derby and leave them there afterwards.

You'll probably also find a thousand school buses rusting away in those woods. That's Newfoundland for you
I agree with the master key thing. It doesn't make sense to me how a machine that costs so much has the same ignition and same key so basically anyone could steal it. It makes my job easier because we rent and haul our own fleet of thousands of pieces of equipment. But there's really no security to prevent theft
Old 01-14-2013, 06:56 AM

I have been watching this thread for a while, thought I would add to it. For a lot of years, Cat equipment only had one key, don't know what its like now or what other brands are like.

Years ago, I ran my own construction business. I still have my own dragline, learning how to run it was tough, learning how to keep it running was tougher. About 20 years ago, a farmer gave me an abandoned dragline. It had been used to dig a dugout on his property and then left there, the former owner couldnt be tracked down. It took me some time and equipment to get it onto solid ground and loaded onto a truck and unloaded at home.

I am not running my iron these days, I can make more money running someone elses. But in the not too distant future, semi retirement could kick in, running my dragline is an option that I could like. Finding draglines and salvaging them would sure help that plan.

I am looking for draglines that are for sale, running or not. My brand of preference is Bucyrus Erie, but would look at most anything. I think people would prefer to see their old iron put to a good use instead of sold for scrap.