Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-18-2009, 03:17 PM

Default 50 cal. Pro Hunter troubles

Hey people, I am looking for a little help here. I am just stripping my pro hunter down for the first time and am having a bit of trouble. I've got it down to the breechplug and am 'stuck'. I can only turn it about a quarter turn, and it took a lot of pressure to break it loose. It turns back and forth relatively easy between a quarter turn and tight, but I can't loosen it off past the quarter turn. Is this normal? do I just put out on it a little more? any help would be much appreciated. (the sooner the better-that way the gun is off the kitchen table before the gf gets home. haha)
Thanks.
S2F
Old 09-18-2009, 03:51 PM

Default ?????

Sorrry to hear you got trouble,thats a funny comment about getting the gun off the table(lol).So many times i've taken apart guns and cleaned them,then could'nt put them back togethere again,but thats the only way you learn.If you cant get it,you'll have to visit a gunsmith,been in your spot many of times(lol) good luck!
Old 09-18-2009, 05:24 PM

Default ...

thanks. hopefully dont have to take it to a gunsmith for a simple (or what should be simple, or better yet probably is simple but i'm missing something and complicating the crap out of it) removal of the breech plug.
Old 09-18-2009, 06:07 PM
sheephunter

The breech plug only turns a quarter turn and then it should pull straight out. It should all be in the instructions that came with your gun. Are you using the wrench with the spring steel clip supplied by T/C?
Old 09-18-2009, 06:13 PM

Default yup

i had a look at what i was doing and the equipment i was using. (the latch on the plug puller seemed to be designed to pull the plug out) but it didnt seem to want to pull out any easier than it wanted to turn, but now that i knwo what i have to do, i will just try harder. Thanks a bunch!
Old 09-18-2009, 06:14 PM
sheephunter

You can always gently push it out with your ramrod as well.
Old 09-18-2009, 10:35 PM

Default thanks

thats what I ended up doing, once you said that it slid out the back...I just wasn't too sure because all the book said was turn it to the left to take it out, nothing about a 1/4 turn then slide it out. I figured it was supposed to slide out b/c of the latch on the plug puller but it kept letting go and I didnt want to try to push it out with the ramrod incase I was wrong. I'll just chalk this one up to learning. Didn't have a mentor to teach me so thanks for your help, muchly appreciated! Lets hope it goes together better then it comes apart!
S2F
Old 09-18-2009, 10:36 PM
sheephunter

Make sure to use some grease when reassembling.