Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 04-03-2016, 11:38 PM
Banned

Default Pretty Quiet Around here

Everyone go to bed early to listen to the auction early in the morning?
Old 04-04-2016, 11:03 AM
Banned

Hope the auction goes well for all of you members that have lots up for sale. Looking foreward for update later today or tomorrow.
Old 04-04-2016, 11:47 AM

I'm not very impressed too far but I guess it could be worse lol Not sure how I can get a coyote that grades higher than Damaged get bought back. That isn't a very good sign at all. Even my Top coyotes With I*'s only got $134. Sold half my rats for $2.28 average
Old 04-04-2016, 12:22 PM

Have a 99.30 US average so far...more than happy with that!
Old 04-04-2016, 12:43 PM

Same deal for me, two XL-LGE/I-II/DK/3-4 baught back.

All in all ok though I guess, average 84.81.
Old 04-04-2016, 01:04 PM

I had 1 XL-L I-II bought back and 2 XL-L II's bought back. Surprised at that, normally those would still fetch a decent price. Buy backs were all DBR.
Old 04-04-2016, 01:24 PM

I had 2 buy backs and averaged about 7 bucks less than last sale with my damaged included in everything. Still not happy about the way things got graded but I will take these prices and hope they stay up in the future
Old 04-04-2016, 01:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
and hope they stay up in the future
12 dollar yotes this sale that weren't even damaged if i'm reading correctly

i don't suspect the prices are going to stay high for long and i certainly wouldn't be paying for yotes
Old 04-04-2016, 01:45 PM
Banned

I didn't listen to the auction so I'm wondering what happened with those two big strings of II MED and DBR 1-4 lots. Did the buyers just run out of steam or what? The same grades sold in other lots for $88 and $76.

I'm still sifting through everything but it looks like the 30% reduction on fur that NAFA predicted came true. $80 average with one in that unsold string and 3 semi's bought back......I'm okay with that given the economy, warm winter, etc.

Anyone have muskrats in?
Old 04-04-2016, 01:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish_e_o View Post
12 dollar yotes this sale that weren't even damaged if i'm reading correctly
I think that you're looking at the Semi's. Have a look at the Western Heavy.
Old 04-04-2016, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
I didn't listen to the auction so I'm wondering what happened with those two big strings of II MED and DBR 1-4 lots. Did the buyers just run out of steam or what? The same grades sold in other lots for $88 and $76.

I'm still sifting through everything but it looks like the 30% reduction on fur that NAFA predicted came true. $80 average with one in that unsold string and 3 semi's bought back......I'm okay with that given the economy, warm winter, etc.

Anyone have muskrats in?
The auction was a total cluster screw, i watched/listened to the gong show.

Something real messed up with that string you are talking about, 369674 - 369721 . . notice the grade has no color listed?? Whats the deal with that?? Everything was going along real good until they hit this then it went sideways. Seamed like no one including the auctioneer had a clue what they were bidding on all of a sudden, price dropped from 60-70 down to $30 and they just kept selling. Buy the time he figured out something was screwed he was in the next string which they bought back cause it was going the same way.

They got it together and the next ones were back up where they should have been.
Old 04-04-2016, 01:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
I think that you're looking at the Semi's. Have a look at the Western Heavy.
that's right. clicked one page too far

still a $30 heavy ouch guys were paying 20 bucks for any dog with all its fur then some guys were paying to get them skinned on top of that
Old 04-04-2016, 02:05 PM

I had leftover muskrats from last sale. Sold 311 for a 2.42 average. Most of the the ones that sold were middle of the pack. Not to many 3 xxl sold or anything medium and smaller.

All coyotes,foxes,beaver sold. Fishers left. Weasels didn't sell. All my mink were sold to a taxidermist. Wish I would of sold all my foxes to him. Sold carcass foxes for $25 to him averaged 18 on the ones at the sale.

Caught a few coons but they are lost in the bottom of the freezer!

Don't post much here but enjoy the forum. No snow here but lakes still frozen. Still debating weather to trap muskrats or just go after bounty beaver. Still have a freezer full of unfinished yotes and wondering if storring muskrats for a few years is worth it.

What are you Alberta trappers catching for rats this year??
Old 04-04-2016, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by APAShooter View Post

Something real messed up with that string you are talking about, 369674 - 369721 . . notice the grade has no color listed?? Whats the deal with that?? Everything was going along real good until they hit this then it went sideways. Seamed like no one including the auctioneer had a clue what they were bidding on all of a sudden, price dropped from 60-70 down to $30 and they just kept selling. Buy the time he figured out something was screwed he was in the next string which they bought back cause it was going the same way.

They got it together and the next ones were back up where they should have been.
I saw that too. Prices dropped down to into the 30's and then back up. I had some sell in the 30's too. Not sure what happened. Overall my average was in the 80's usd including damaged but you can see the bottom end weakened. I know what this has meant in the past but I will let somebody more experienced than me make a prediction for the future.
Old 04-04-2016, 02:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by APAShooter View Post

Thanks, I see it now. I had at least 5 coyotes in those $38 lots. If I look at what similar grades sold for I had to have lost $300 with that fiasco.....more if I had more than one coyote in the same lot. That stuff shouldn't happen!
Old 04-04-2016, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gman1978 View Post
I saw that too. Prices dropped down to into the 30's and then back up. I had some sell in the 30's too. Not sure what happened. Overall my average was in the 80's usd including damaged but you can see the bottom end weakened. I know what this has meant in the past but I will let somebody more experienced than me make a prediction for the future.
I also had coyotes in those 37 dollar lots. I predict I'll do more fishing after Christmas next year! Trap when they're at their best and then quit.

I'm happy enough though and will definitely catch as many as I can in the month of December next year.
Old 04-04-2016, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Thanks, I see it now. I had at least 5 coyotes in those $38 lots. If I look at what similar grades sold for I had to have lost $300 with that fiasco.....more if I had more than one coyote in the same lot. That stuff shouldn't happen!
X2 Dave cudnt believe what I was seeing
Old 04-04-2016, 02:42 PM

Anyone have any idea why I would still be 1 skin short on my lotting letter and sales summary? I emailed nafa last week and Mary confirmed they recieved the correct amount of skins and that the missing one would show up in a day or 2 on my lotting letter (that was fri last week). Kinda getting concerned seeing how yotes have been sold and I'm still one short.

Emailed her again at 6am this morning and no reply as of yet.
Old 04-04-2016, 02:45 PM

Like I said earlier. NAFA playing games and AGAIN it kicks the little trapper in the teeth. Tough Grades.....
Old 04-04-2016, 02:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
Like I said earlier. NAFA playing games and AGAIN it kicks the little trapper in the teeth. Tough Grades.....
maybe they were expecting poor sales so they tried to grade everything less than usual in an attempt to mitigate disappointment.

they would have to assume people know absolutely nothing about grading fur
Old 04-04-2016, 02:53 PM

Honestly when those lots dropped into the 30's and the following lots were "bought back" I thought it was auction over. It reminded me of a bull sale I went to back in the BSE days, after the breeder bulls sold the bottom fell out and they ended the sale. The following coyote lots resumed back up in price. Could be lots of factors including a inexperienced auctioneer. I thought maybe they changed the sale order or something.
Old 04-04-2016, 03:02 PM
Banned

I don't suppose that NAFA will comment on what happened without a little prompting. I wish that I had have witnessed what happened, not that I don't trust you fellas. I think that I'll send an email to NAFA asking for an explanation anyway. If they screwed up then they should wear it.
Old 04-04-2016, 03:10 PM

I had a handful of coyotes that graded semi and didn't really sell well (a couple for 12 dollars) any ideas why they didn't make heavy? they all seemed to be decent fur. very similar to what i sent in last year.
Old 04-04-2016, 03:16 PM

The lots you guys are talking about sold in the 70 range if I remember right. They skipped a bunch, then went back and sold them. I do believe these will show back up as sold, not bought back. I didn't have any in those lots, so didn't pay that close of attention to the prices. The II's were the low priced coyotes. IMO the damaged ones even sold well at 12.5 or 5.50, a lot more than the 2.50 last sale. I bet the overall average is higher as well.

If you sold rats, keep checking....every time I look another dozen have been sold.

Spruce
Old 04-04-2016, 03:19 PM

Oh...and a PL/XP beaver was top lot for the westerns...never thought I would see that happen!

Spruce
Old 04-04-2016, 03:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spruce View Post
The lots you guys are talking about sold in the 70 range if I remember right. They skipped a bunch, then went back and sold them. I do believe these will show back up as sold, not bought back.
Are we talking about the same lots? 674 to 721 were from $30 to $38.....722 to 745 were bought back according to my screen. Are you saying that 674 to 721 actually sold for $70 and the bought back ones sold?
Old 04-04-2016, 03:31 PM

They did go back and sell a bunch that were originally bought back they had them valued wrong in their catalog that's why they were bought back, the auctioneer was more than confused along with the buyers overall it seemed like a cluster ###k.
Old 04-04-2016, 03:42 PM
Banned

369605 XL-LGE II DBR 1-4 $76

369651 XL-LGE II DK 1-4 $74

369663 XL-LGE II MED 1-4 $88

369674 XL-LGE II ? 1-4 $30

Old 04-04-2016, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Are we talking about the same lots? 674 to 721 were from $30 to $38.....722 to 745 were bought back according to my screen. Are you saying that 674 to 721 actually sold for $70 and the bought back ones sold?
Those look to be II lots...so not 70, but that string was 38ish that they went back and sold. They did sell ALL of the coyotes. I stopped listening after the SDA's, because I no longer had fur in the sale. Those lots will likely get corrected tonight and show up as sold on your sheets.

Like I said before the II's didn't sell very high, but they never really do. Those are the coarse furred or poorly handled coyotes. I think everyone is overreacting to this sale....how many pups did you catch this year vs last? How many I* did you get this year VS last? It all makes sense when you compare apples to apples. Don't expect large adult males to grade I*, because they never will. What are you guys going to do when Coyotes sell for $50...man my phones gonna ring off its hook.

Spruce
Old 04-04-2016, 03:58 PM
Banned

I don't have a problem with my grades, they are the best that I ever had. I don't even have a problem with the lower prices. What I do have a problem with is what appears to be a major blunder on NAFA's part wrt lots 674 to 721. It looks and sounds to me like they crapped the bed and 6 of my coyotes sold for $30 and $38 when they should have sold for $40 or $50 more. I'll wait for the dust to settle and request an official explanation from NAFA as to why this occurred.